The Long Dark Survival Mode Updated to V1.48 -- STEADFAST RANGER

Admin

6 minutes ago, Carbon said:

I'm discounting the anomaly - those who outright deny an increase (2 I count in a brief skim of this thread ) compared to the norm

They were only expressing that they were not experiencing an increase... that is to say that their experiences differ from yours.
You say there is an increase compared to the norm... exactly what is your baseline for this statement?  What is the norm... and what is the increase in proportion to it?

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I am wondering what's with the new aiming system for rifles? I've literally recorded myself shooting a few hundred rounds out of the rifle and studied the footage, gone through frame by frame to see my sight picture and my point of impact on shots missed and the very few that have landed and it doesn't seem consistent. As if shooting even when something is dead in the irons  at 5 ft is like having to roll a hit chance dice...the game for me has become viturally unplayable since the patch for the simple reason I cannot hunt or defend myself anymore with any consistently or with any efficacy. Keep in mind this is save scumming restarts with 100% rifle and human condition, 2 hunting books complete +10% feat with a seasoned player. Easily taken over 100+ shots since the update.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ajb1978 said:

Because recovery is more complex and requires additional (mostly) nonrenewable resources for a fast recovery.  Formerly to fully recover from a sprain you pop a dose of painkillers or drink rose hip tea, you're good.  Now you have to do that, in addition to use a bandage.  And while you still have the option of resting 2 or 4 hours to heal wrist or ankle sprains (respectively), the actual injury treatment has become twice as involved and now consumes two nonrenewable resources.  (Beachcombing notwithstanding.)

So it's no longer the Baader-Meinhof? No longer a perceptual change? Moving the goalposts mate. But I'm done. Have fun.

Just now, Carbon said:

So it's no longer the Baader-Meinhof? No longer a perceptual change? Moving the goalposts mate. But I'm done. Have fun.

Perception of the sprains being more frequent is Baader-Meinhof.  As for why players may not like the new system, it's because treatment is more complex.

Those are two different things.

@Carbon

Again, I'm not saying you are incorrect... I'm just saying it's not a good argument to flat out deny another's observation while claiming to have seen empirical evidence that proves you right, but then offer no empirical evidence.

It would have been better had you just presented how your experiences and observations differed, rather than telling other people they are flat out wrong.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I don't think it was intended to get sprains while standing still, pain really does a good job at pissing off the player by slightly incapacitating it. Overall it's a good change that need some tweaks unless you want to punish hoarders

The most infuriating thing about the new system is that you are warned of your actions and getting sprains overloaded on a non risky terrain

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

Not to worry folks, whenever anything new gets implemented there are bound to be adjustments, tweaks to mechanics, rebalancing, etc...
Raph already tweeted that they were looking into it.  Hang in there survivors, it's going to be okay.  :)

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

Perception of the sprains being more frequent is Baader-Meinhof.  As for why players may not like the new system, it's because treatment is more complex.

Those are two different things.

I was saying initially that it wasn't a perceptual change but a real one (the only place where @ManicManiac I said he was wrong explicitly), but now you're saying that they don't like the new system simply becuase treatement is more complex and not becuase of an increase in the number of sprains? I'm really not sure what cause or effect we're talking about anymore.

Look, my initial claim was simply that it wasn't Baader-Meinhof, evidenced by the number or responders in this thread, Raph's own words and HL's subsequent action. As for why they like/dislike it overall, the apparent implication in my statement was that it was the increase in number they weren't liking. I suppose it follows that with an increase and a more difficult remedial course, sure, that would compound the situation but that wasn't what we were - or I was - discussing.

Anyhow, I don't want to clog up a good thread over this any longer. I'm happy to talk about this more through PMs, so let's take it there, if need be. :)

Edited by Carbon
  • Upvote 1

I got a sprained wrist while walking along inside the Quonset shop! I think I was over encumbered by about 3 grams. I'm not complaining, but I've never seen anything like that before. (I guess I slipped over on the perfectly flat, tiled surface due to wet shoes?)

What I do think is a little weird about the new system is that the pain lasts longer than the injury. I slept for 2 hours to cure the sprain, but was in pain for an additional 2 hours afterwards when there was supposedly nothing wrong with my wrist anymore. Again, this isn't a complaint - just an observation.

Overall, I think the addition of "pain" as a separate affliction from an injury is a big improvement, and I hope the Devs choose to build on this functionality in future.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ajb1978 said:

Because recovery is more complex and requires additional (mostly) nonrenewable resources for a fast recovery.  Formerly to fully recover from a sprain you pop a dose of painkillers or drink rose hip tea, you're good.  Now you have to do that, in addition to use a bandage.  And while you still have the option of resting 2 or 4 hours to heal wrist or ankle sprains (respectively), the actual injury treatment has become twice as involved and now consumes two nonrenewable resources.  (Beachcombing notwithstanding.)

So, you would say that my sleeping for 6 hours should have healed a sprained wrist completely.  However, it did not... the sprain was noted has having been healed, but the pain did not go away even after 6 hours of sleep.  I literally had to take the two pain killers to get rid of the pain and its associated visual effect.

18 minutes ago, reginaphalange said:

I know it's rec'd to start a new playthrough, but is it still possible to find the revolver and energy drinks in existing SM saves? I just took a quick look around Camp Office and found nothing.

It is definitely possible to find the revolver in existing survival games (excluding interloper), was not expecting to find any in my long term game but happily stumbled across one nonetheless. I can only assume the same is true for the energy drinks.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, smaointeoireacht said:

It is definitely possible to find the revolver in existing survival games (excluding interloper), was not expecting to find any in my long term game but happily stumbled across one nonetheless. I can only assume the same is true for the energy drinks.

Thanks! I just hope stuff I have splayed out on surfaces and stuffed into cabinets don't prevent me from finding bullets etc etc

12 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

had to take the two pain killers to get rid of the pain and its associated visual effect.

Pain and Sprains will both heal naturally over time... I was stuck in Milton Basin with a double sprain and no way to treat it.  I slept off both sets of pain and sprain in the near by cave.  I was able to climb back up and make my way back to Milton the next morning.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

Pain and Sprains will both heal naturally over time... I was stuck in Milton Basin with a double sprain and no way to treat it.  I slept off both sets of pain and sprain in the near by cave.  I was able to climb back up and make my way back to Milton the next morning.

How long did you sleep?  I slept 6 hours.  The sprain healed, but the pain did not.

Conversely, a different sprain earlier healed completely (both sprain and pain) with 4 hours of sleep.

Why the difference?  Something is not working right.

Edited by UpUpAway95

3 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

How long did you sleep?

I slept 4 hours at a time to make sure I wasn't getting too cold... so I don't recall exactly when the afflictions lifted.  I slept a total of 12 hours, but the afflictions were all gone long before then.  I will no doubt do it again tonight... I am really stingy with cloth so I am not likely to ever use bandages unless I need to stop the bleeding :D 

• Upvote 1

Guest kristaok

Please read ALL of my Post before judging or misinterpreting me - thanks!

I am truly grateful for Hinterland adding the Revolver, but right now I can't even get to a Revolver because I am constantly getting a Sprain.

I really want to love this Update because I REALLY LOVE TLD ❤️ , but I am finding myself feeling depressed because due to the Sprains Astrid's eyes are blurry and I can't even know where I am going. Also the lack of any indicator on the Map showing my current Location isn't helping either, hopefully Hinterland will consider adding that (Option) key word OPTION for those who do want that OPTION. This is why I love the Story Mode because we can know where we are on the Map, I hope and pray that one day we can also know exactly where we are on the Survival Mode Map. 

On one hand I admit I do like the vision distortion because that would probably be realistic, but on the other hand it's not realistic to constantly be given a warning for a possible Sprain coming up. I literally walk a few steps and I get a Sprain, I am not even going down a hill or up one really. 

After the Update I can't help but to feel broken... I feel like something is off with the game but I cannot quite put my finger on it, and that truly makes me sad. I feel like I am losing my best friend or something, it's a realization I don't like to feel. 

When I played Astrid before the Update I could run quite a ways until she ran out of breath, I would rest and run some more! I was WILD and FREE! now I can't possibly think of running because she starts to breathe like she is dying from a heart attack, and CRACK you have a Sprain! and Astrid goes from perfect vision to needing glasses! Now hear me out, the whole vision thing I don't necessarily have a qualm with if she Sprained her ankle going down a hill or something, but when I am running on flat land trying to get stuff done before dark, yea that really sucks. 

POOR ASTRID! and for those who play Will, POOR WILL! 😢 

RIP... it was nice knowing ya both... 

The new aiming mechanic seems... off.

Under the previous mechanics, I'd have been able to easily pop 10 wolves for 10 shots. Now it seems like for every 10 shots, 6 miss completely, 3 hit but do not kill, and 1 kills instantly.

Just to be clear: the idea is to line up my target in BOTH levelled sights, right?

• Like 2

I can't say anything iabout the new things in detail yet, but regarding the HUD - the new spains icon pushed it over the line.

The idea with the overhaul of the HUD was to make the game more immersive and don't be distracted by bars or icons, to not constantly doing math instead of just diving into the world. Now, i feel the advantages of the new HUD have gone. It's just too much.

Could you please remove windshield, scent, sprains icons from the main screen and put them to the "tab - hud" ? If someone really wants to know if there is scent, wind or the risk for sprains you can just press tab. These informations don't need to be popping up constantly on the main screen.

Edited by MueckE
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, GothSkunk said:

Under the previous mechanics, I'd have been able to easily pop 10 wolves for 10 shots. Now it seems like for every 10 shots, 6 miss completely, 3 hit but do not kill, and 1 kills instantly.

Just to be clear: the idea is to line up my target in BOTH levelled sights, right?

I agree. My stats indicated I only missed 2 out of 39 shots with the rife. I had a clear headshot on a bear from close range, I took it then ducked into a house upon which I checked my stats. I was now 38 out of 40 so I figured I managed a hit, hopefully in head so it would bleed out in 60 minutes. I waited a bit before venturing out to follow him and when I reached the spot where he was when I shot him, I saw no blood stain or blood trail. And sure enough, even after 4 hours, my stats still indicated that he was still alive (had 4 bear kills previously and it was still 4). Not sure how it could count as a hit in the stats. Puzzling.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, GothSkunk said:

Yes, after several missed shots with the rifle, I made some target practice on a signpost. Well rested, and not cold, I could group the hits closely, but they were consistently below the aiming point, and hidden by the sights. At a distance of maybe 10 metres, the hits were about 10cm lower than expected. 

Edited by norup
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

The update is good, I don’t argue, but there is one "little problem" - this is mod support. Did Hinterland decide to kill mods permanently? In this game I like to study the world and the console was perfect for this lesson, but it looks like the developers don’t care about this problem. Answer please Are mods available again?

Loved the update so far, currently combing over every part of every map looking for ammo and drinks (already found a revolver in PV).

Strange thing I witnessed though: I sprained my ankle stepping out of the fishing hut in TWM (21 of 40 kg, well rested, full health). As I could't explain this I went back a couple of steps to see where the supposed slope was, looking for the warning to flash. Turns out it's right when you pass through the door of the hut. Is this working as intended? Is the thought behind this that the surface changes from wood to ice? If so, will you be implementing the same mechanic for stepping from stone to snow or similar?