The Long Dark Survival Mode Updated to V1.48 -- STEADFAST RANGER

Admin

ICYMI - we are looking at getting a fix for the crash out later today on Steam, hopefully (and a bit later on other platforms). The fix may take 24-48 hours to get out due to the testing timeline. The team is also looking at Sprain tuning to see what's going on there (if anything).

• Like 1

I like new designes in Steadfast Ranger.

Sprains happens six times more often then before. New chances algorithm maybe broken, but I had sprain encounter literally near five times in same slope in one hour. And I also see regular crushes while entering interior.

I will preface this post by saying:  I am working on getting a ticket on the support page (but I'm at work right now, so it has to wait).  I just want to ask the question to the general population here...

I did experience one other minor thing and I am wondering if anyone else out there experienced something similar.

I was hunkered down in the cave just above Milton Basin.  I was biding my time a couple of days prior to the update release.  The important bit is that I had a hand full of food items (couple of boxes of crackers, a few energy bars, and a couple of bits of cooked meat).  When I loaded up my save after the update... I noticed those food items I set just outside the cave were gone.

Has anyone else had any items disappear on them?

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

I think the people complaining are subject to the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon.  Sprains are the topic of the day, so now they're hyper-aware of them.  I've been keeping track and I'm actually getting FEWER sprains now, because I can now tell when I'm on a risky slope.  I looted the entirety of Mountain Town, making 50kg trips back to paradise meadows, and have not gotten one single sprain thanks to the ability to identify dangerous vs. safe slopes.

It's Vigilant Flame all over again where some people don't like it because it's different.  Give it a couple weeks, the complaints will fade away.

+1, my experience as well, over 8 real life hours played since the update. Fewer sprains, and I actually had to work at getting one. It took me the full 8 hours of doing w everything- being over-encumbered, being exhausted, walking up slopes until i found ones that k lit up the slope warning... and if I stopped, and took appropriate corrective action, no sprain,. I had to walk straight up a steep slope in FM overburdened and exhausted, and keep going to the top with the red slope warning lit up the entire way... i finally got my sprain a step from the summit of the slope.

And I gimped from FM into ML, avoiding wolves as I went, no treatments. The Pain healed itself over time, and the sprain was healed after I reached trappers and slept.

I never thought I would actively try to get my character hurt, just to test the system and the complaints sen on these and other forums., But, there you go. I worked hard to get hurt. And it told me that the sprain system is better now than it used to be.

21 minutes ago, Ice Hole said:

This might be a bug but I am not sre.

With a wrist sprain is the revolver a weapon to hold?

I will need to wait for a sprained wrist to check, but I believe you can wield the revolver with one sprained wrist yes.  The rifle and bow are two-handed weapons that you cannot wield with either hand sprained, but the revolver being a one-handed weapon, I suspect this is intentional.  Possibly the flare pistol has also been updated, but I'm in HRV right now so that will have to wait.

Edited by ajb1978
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ThePancakeLady said:

I never thought I would actively try to get my character hurt, just to test the system and the complaints sen on these and other forums., But, there you go. I worked hard to get hurt. And it told me that the sprain system is better now than it used to be.

My go-to sprain factory is the 2nd floor of the hunting lodge in broken railroad.  Bust down the boxes and just walk right off the 2nd floor onto the 1st.  You'll sprain something for sure.

• Like 1

I knew my descent from TWM was dangerous.  I sprained everything I could and had four additional pains on top of that.  I didn't use any rose hips or pain killers.  Fortunately I made it back to Mountaineer's Hut without a wolf or bear attack.  Four hours of sleep and all was cured.

screen_(890, 162, 341)_b22b85a5-aaa4-4358-a95a-bac8c65c8868.png

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Ice Hole said:

You are right. I just found out it takes two sprains to make the revolver unusable. 

Ended up spraining my wrist sooner than I thought.  In addition to the revolver, you can now also throw stones with a single wrist sprain.

Edit: Today is my lucky day--I found a flare gun in HRV.  I did not know that one could spawn there...  Well this confirms it, you can wield the flare pistol with a single sprained wrist.

Edited by ajb1978
  • Upvote 2

Just now, ajb1978 said:

Sweeeet I found a 2nd revolver 

Hide contents

in one of the ice caves in Hushed River Valley

and while I am not surprised, I am mildly disappointed that I can't dual wield these puppies.

I only got one, literally first item I found in the new game that I fired up, a Voyager where I spawned in Broken Railroad right below the bridge by the fence gate, leading up the stairs to Hunting cabin. I wont say where I found it specifically to make it interesting :)

but soon after I found a rifle and bullets for both weapons, kinda nice start for the game if I wanted to fire them without training... which I wont :D 

Heh, would love to dual wield em. :D Wonder if that will ever be a feature... (no doubt it will be a mod feature when the game gets official mod support :D)

4 minutes ago, Mroz4k said:

Wonder if that will ever be a feature... (no doubt it will be a mod feature when the game gets official mod support :D)

Oh most likely.  Honestly, the way the revolver functions currently is a perfect fit for TLD.  This is not a shooter and never has been.  There are a lot of things that you CAN do with a revolver, that I'm sure someone somewhere will try to mod in.  Like speed loaders to quickly load the entire drum, fanning the hammer to semi-auto it at the expense of accuracy, and yes dual wielding which is also something best left to Hollywood.

I mean I've tried shooting a pistol in each hand IRL, and yeah if you take the time and aim with each one sure you can hit targets with reasonable accuracy, but if you try to full on John Woo it, you'll just end up wasting ammo.

Sprain mechanic - I don't believe this is working as intended.  I recently obtained a sprain just after waking up in Gray Mother's house as I turned to walk away from the bed.  I was overencumbered (probably by about 5 kg) since I had cooked up 7 kg of venison that a wolf had killed in front of the house just before going up to bed and did not go out to drop it on the porch first.  After I got the sprain, I immediate went back to sleep for 6 hours.  The game indicated that the sprain had healed, but the pain indicator would not go away until after I took 2 painkillers.  This is odd since I don't think I should experience pain from a healed sprain.   I don't think the sprain itself should have occured despite being overencumbered since I was on level ground and well rested from having slept through the night.

In addition, I received a sprain the previous game day as I opened the door on Gray Mother's house to enter after looting a nearby house.  I was about 2 kg overencumbered but had successfully walked up the hile to Gray Mother's house without receiving a sprain.  Again, this was level ground.

If I had to guess, I would say it has something to do with when I turn my character (Xbox controller)... regardless of what sort of terrain he is on.

Edited by UpUpAway95
typo
  • Upvote 1

So I'm the worst kind of miser in this game, and it wasn't until I had accumulated over 100 pistol rounds that I allowed myself to finally shoot a wolf.  It was a clean hit, the blood sprayed, my skill increased, there was a blood trail.  15 hours later, my wolves killed still shows 0.  Hmm...something to keep an eye on.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, peteloud said:

It is not a big problem.  I'll be able to recover the situation, but normally I have no crashes, then three crashes between Mountaineer's Hut and TWM summit means there is a problem.

Same for me ... The game had only crashed once for me before the update, and I have played a few hundred hours (honestly, I don't really wanna know - but it's been a lot!). 

After the update, it crashed once yesterday, and twice today (which makes it 3 crashes in about 4 hrs of play time in total). Unfortunately, that was exactly when I tried to enter a house after crossing an entire map.. After restarting the game, I had to cross the entire map once again, so that was a little discouraging. 

But still, it's not a big deal - whenever you change a system, it will behave differently, and there's always the risk of bugs after an update. 

I'm playing the Steam version  on a Windows 10 computer, by the way. Would be interesting to know if the CTDs happen on all the systems, or just some of them. 

My biggest surprise with this update was, that killing rabbits with a stone seems to be a lot easier now. 

I'm not sure why some people complain about the sprain system. Although I don't care much for the new indicator, I'm sure it helps newer players a lot. Sprain frequency has stayed the same for me (which means, they happen quite rarely). I'm pretty sure this has to do with play-style. I always try to pack lightly, and though I travel hilly terrain a lot, I always pick my routes as I would in real life. If you have to walk uphill, you would try to do it at a right angle, and you would look for a good path that isn't too steep to begin with. 

Haven't tried the energy drink or the bandages yet, but I found plenty of revolver ammunition and two rifles so far. Guess I will have to play some more to find out how the new firearm works. 

All in all, I really appreciate the hard work that is put into that game, and I'm quite confident that it's going into the right direction. 

Edited by melcantspell

6 hours ago, Serenity said:

Just went there to check this out (on Pilgrim). 8 storm lanterns! Maybe it's more difficulty based now. The weapons container has tons of pistol ammo. That seems to be the only change

Nice new textures on the containers though

And I almost goated down from the summit without spraining. On the last small jump from the rockface to snow it got me :) But nothing on the almost vertical section before

I was playing a custom game with stalker loot.

The container on the rock seemed different too. I usually just get shoes but I got socks and jeans as well.

Might just be rng.

The containers look great. Rifle seems to look better, I didn’t get a chance to use the revolver due to my full house of sprains. The screen flashed red a few more times as though I was taking more injuries but there was nothing left to sprain! 😄

3 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

I think the people complaining are subject to the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon.  Sprains are the topic of the day, so now they're hyper-aware of them.  I've been keeping track and I'm actually getting FEWER sprains now, because I can now tell when I'm on a risky slope.  I looted the entirety of Mountain Town, making 50kg trips back to paradise meadows, and have not gotten one single sprain thanks to the ability to identify dangerous vs. safe slopes.

It's Vigilant Flame all over again where some people don't like it because it's different.  Give it a couple weeks, the complaints will fade away.

With all due respect, no. The sprain system is over-active right now; watching some streamers last night play the update made it very clear that the new system most certainly makes sprains more commonplace. Quantifiably so I believe, if one were to do the research. Even if the new system makes them equally likely but over a broader range of satisfied conditions, they will increase. You are applying the phenomenon in question incorrectly (its own kind of cognitive bias); the effect comparatively measures particular types of attention; previous inattention measured against a newly activated close attention. Sprains are simply too remarkable in and of themselves and to be discounted with such a phenomenon and are currently being measured by a large pool of individuals. This isn't group serendipity or synchronicity but a quantifiable numerical/statistical increase.

I for one am very aware of the frequency of sprains after both playing the game for years and watching countless hours of streams; there is absolutely no doubt that the numbers have increased significantly since yesterday. Even Raph said in this very thread that it's going to be contentious and is now being internally re-examined, simple truth that something is both different and problematic.

• Like 1

@Carbon

With all due respect:
You seem to be countering what you perceive to be a subjective view point with another subjective view point.  You are using terms like: quantifiably, comparatively, increased significantly, and in one case quantifiable numerical/statistical increase... but you are speaking from an equally speculative stand point.

Now to be clear, I'm not saying you are wrong...

However, you are dismissing the observations of others because their experiences differ from yours... but you are not offering any data that is quantifiable, comparative, showing significant increase, or showing a quantified numerical/statistical increase.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

@Carbon

With all due respect:
You seem to be countering what you perceive to be a subjective view point with another subjective view point.  You are using terms like: quantifiably, comparatively, increased significantly, and in one case quantifiable numerical/statistical increase... but you are speaking from an equally speculative stand point.

Now to be clear, I'm not saying you are wrong...

However, you are dismissing the observations of others because their experiences differ from yours... but you are not offering any data that is quantifiable, comparative, showing significant increase, or showing a quantified numerical/statistical increase.

I'm discounting the anomaly - those who outright deny an increase (2 I count in a brief skim of this thread ) compared to the norm (the majority who claim it to be abnormally increased). This and as I said, Raph himself stated that players might not be so happy with the new system (why would that be?) and the system is indeed undergoing scrutiny internally (why again, if it is the same?).

To be clear: the general consensus is that is is now problematic and my contention is that this isn't an example of the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon.

Edited by Carbon
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Carbon said:

players might not be so happy with the new system (why would that be?) and the system is indeed undergoing scrutiny internally (why again, if it is the same?).

Because recovery is more complex and requires additional (mostly) nonrenewable resources for a fast recovery.  Formerly to fully recover from a sprain you pop a dose of painkillers or drink rose hip tea, you're good.  Now you have to do that, in addition to use a bandage.  And while you still have the option of resting 2 or 4 hours to heal wrist or ankle sprains (respectively), the actual injury treatment has become twice as involved and now consumes two nonrenewable resources.  (Beachcombing notwithstanding.)