The Long Dark Survival Mode Updated to V1.48 -- STEADFAST RANGER

Admin

Great update.

loot in the aircraft containers has changed, no longer finding a ton of lanterns to be broken down and no more grinding the fire starting ability from the resulting lantern fuel.

Sprained everything on the way down from the peak. I like the new sprain mechanic but it is punishing when you are overloaded.

Soon going to head into PV. It will be interesting to see if it is still as crashtastic (PS4) as it was before the update.

Really pleased with the update so far. 😄

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

Not sure the "fix" is much less hated, yet... ;) 

I'm not sure if you fixed it properly. According to the video you've increased the slope angle before you get sprains. Yet people are reporting sprains in even more ridiculous locations than before.

Less, but more costly sprains is great. But that doesn't seem to be how it is right now

• Like 1

First of all: thanks for keeping the game up-to-date :)

One question: "* [Enviro] Fixed numerous issues causing unlit textures."

Some houses are very (too) dark inside (during daylight). Does that fix this issue?

7 minutes ago, Serenity said:

I'm not sure if you fixed it properly. According to the video you've increased the slope angle before you get sprains. Yet people are reporting sprains in even more ridiculous locations than before.

Less, but more costly sprains is great. But that doesn't seem to be how it is right now

I must respectfully disagree. It does seem that that is how is it is right now.

I spent 7 hours last nigh running up and down hills, road embankments, being exhausted and overburdened on ice, jumping off of rocks and trees, literally doing all i could to intentionally try to trigger sprains, just because people were claiming to have dozens of them within 5 minutes of starting their games.  I find, my experience in Voyageur and Stalker starts yesterday... their claims may be greatly exaggerated over-dramatizations, because they are not yet familiar with the new notifications. 7 hours. Of intentionally pushing my luck to try to trigger sudden sprains. If I paid attention to the warnings and new affliction notice for the risk, and took corrective action, something as simple as changing my route, or dropping a few things, and moving carefully instead of just blindly walking without paying attention... I had ZERO sprains. ZERO. 7 hours of doing everything everyone claimed had gotten them sprains, and I could not get one, so long as I actually paid attention to the new warnings and changed my in-game behavior.. The only sprains I ended up with were from wolf struggles, from intentionally trying to face-tank wolves to test the new accessibility options for struggles. 

TL;DR the new sprain system and warning system seems to be working as advertised and intended. Granted, 7 hours of testing and 5 different starts to test it is a small sample size, overall, but if it were just RNJesus smiling on me... you don;t know our relationship very well. RNJesus is not my friend, never has been. Bad luck in game is the only kind of luck I seem to have. Good decisions generally keep my characters alive, bad decisions... not so much. RNJesus is NEVER that kind to me. Changing my behavior in the game when I put myself at risk of sprains is what kept me from h getting any, not RNG.

Sprains need more fine-tuning.  I have had a few warnings when I have been on safe flat territory, including inside a fishing hut.  It seems that the warning is triggered by exceeding a load of 40Kg, rather than potential terrain difficulties.   I have not suffered an actual spring in v1.48 so I don't know how it works out on rough terrain. . . . . . I have just returned to an old game. It opens with me getting out of bed in the PV farmhouse.  I immediately had a sprain warning.  My load was 40.7Kg.

1 hour ago, Alone said:

One question: "* [Enviro] Fixed numerous issues causing unlit textures."

Some houses are very (too) dark inside (during daylight). Does that fix this issue?

That problem has bugged me for ages.  I have reported it a few times.  Once upon a time the PV barn was darker in daytime than at night, but it was fixed.  More recently the PV farmhouse was very dark and usually I could not see most of the resources that I had dropped.  That has been fixed in v1.48.   A couple of hours ago I checked Trapper's Cabin, it is still too dark in there, but not as bad as PV farmhouse was.  Before v1.48 the Hunters Lodge in Broken Railroad could do with lightening, although it would be understandable if the basement was darkened.  I don't know if it has been lightened, but my guess is that, as they didn't fix Trapper's Cabin, they have not systematically checked and fixed all building interiors.

Another problem is that some places were/are too bright.  The fire in the TWM Mountaineer's hut was too bright and the colours and details were burnt out.  Many times I have been outdoors and the snow is too bright and burned out.

Edited by peteloud
additional strain info.
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Daymo said:

loot in the aircraft containers has changed, no longer finding a ton of lanterns to be broken down and no more grinding the fire starting ability from the resulting lantern fuel.

Just went there to check this out (on Pilgrim). 8 storm lanterns! Maybe it's more difficulty based now. The weapons container has tons of pistol ammo. That seems to be the only change

Nice new textures on the containers though

And I almost goated down from the summit without spraining. On the last small jump from the rockface to snow it got me :) But nothing on the almost vertical section before

51 minutes ago, ThePancakeLady said:

TL;DR the new sprain system and warning system seems to be working as advertised and intended.

This is my experience as well.  I am playing the game as I normally do; looting and spending most of my time encumbered.  Sprains are occurring at the rate I would normally expect.  Although the new reaction tends to make me jump a bit.  Suddenly having the screen jerk to the side, flash red, it's a jump-scare.  I could do without that, tbh, but it is more immersive.

I haven't yet tried treating a sprain...  I just dealt with the injuries and slept it off at the end of the day like I usually do.

• Upvote 1

Love it!  The sprains make you adjust your strategy, as intended.  Can't go out encumbered or tired anymore.  Seeing some hitbox weirdness, couple other minor bugs, but I'm sure that'll be worked out soon. 

Yer killin it, Hinterland!

• Upvote 2

Sorry, not sorry.  I appreciate the difficulty in software development and product development having worked in both fields.  However, the new sprain system is as bad as the new Wintermute spear fiasco and that's saying a lot.  I am a 2,000+ hour player and I NEVER play wintermute anymore.  stuck in the bear cave with the absurd mechanics required to defeat the bear.   Terrible.  Now we have the new sprain system.  WORSE than wintermute.  I HATE the sprain system.  The visual indicator is annoying and unnecessary.  The sprains occur FAR too frequently and easily.  This has ruined my current 90+ day Interloper game and in general has made the game virtually unplayable.  Who is your primary audience for this update?  Who are you trying to satisfy?  Are they happy?  Because i can't imagine experienced players liking what you have done. 

To the Dev boss:  Did you listen to your customer?  If you did they are very different from me.  I love this game.  Please roll back the sprain system.  I'm begging. 

• Upvote 1

Setting the stage for my complaint so you know my profile.  I love this game.  played 2,000+ hours.  I have professional experience in both software development and product development.  My complaint is for both Wintermute and Survival play. 

Wintermute:  I have given up trying to defeat the bear in the cave.  The mechanics, timing, and physics are so bad I refuse to continue. 

Survival:  I got sprains walking on level ice while 2 lbs over weight.  I got double wrist sprains harvesting frozen meat.  I got a wrist sprain while WALKING. 

You've worked hard and the bulk of the new updates are great.  However, as currently constructed i find the game UNPLAYABLE.  I am abandoning my current 90+ day Interloper and the brand new Spec-Ops i launched to try new features too. 

I'm done unless you roll back the sprain system.  It's that bad.

• Upvote 1

Guest Bmack

Small sample size but I sprained a wrist 1 kg encumbered after a full night sleep, fully hydrated and fed while walking from a bedroom to a hallway.  That can’t be as intended.

1 minute ago, Bmack said:

Small sample size but I sprained a wrist 1 kg encumbered after a full night sleep, fully hydrated and fed while walking from a bedroom to a hallway.  That can’t be as intended.

sometimes the dice hates you....

Guest Bmack

Sure, I get that, but I am a bit surprised that walking across a bedroom threshold triggers a dice roll. 

I think the people complaining are subject to the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon.  Sprains are the topic of the day, so now they're hyper-aware of them.  I've been keeping track and I'm actually getting FEWER sprains now, because I can now tell when I'm on a risky slope.  I looted the entirety of Mountain Town, making 50kg trips back to paradise meadows, and have not gotten one single sprain thanks to the ability to identify dangerous vs. safe slopes.

It's Vigilant Flame all over again where some people don't like it because it's different.  Give it a couple weeks, the complaints will fade away.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Guest Bmack

Ajb,

I get your point, I do.  I acknowledge it is only an anecdotal experience.  But my bedroom threshold sprain will always seem like a bug or a game flaw. Ask me again in a few weeks if you don’t believe me.

Edited by Bmack

21 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

I think the people complaining are subject to the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon...   ...It's Vigilant Flame all over again where some people don't like it because it's different.  Give it a couple weeks, the complaints will fade away.

Agreed!  I think @ajb1978's observation is right on the money.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Today has been an interesting day.  I managed to get v.1.48 at around 3:30am, (BST,  7th, May), and have spent most of my day trying it out, looking for problems.  I found a few things I liked and few on which I am undecided.

I avoided a serious look at the sprains issue, but eventually I had to get back to my usual game.  That is a 900+ day, Voyager game in which I am trying to map all of the black spaces on my charcoal maps.  My current objective was to climb TWM, from the Mountainer's Hut and goat down from TWM on a new goat path, (or rock face).  I felt that this was a task that would give me many sprain problems.  A few days ago I did this and sprained every limb I have.  This time I had very limited painkillers.  I hesitated because this might easily end my life.

The first surprise was that the game crashed while I was walking up a steep, but nothing special, snow slope.  Before setting off I kept my load lower than my usual heavy load 40+kg.  I was trying to keep below 35Kg  just in case that was a trigger point.  I can't be sure I was below 35Kg because I might have picked up a couple of sticks after a rope climb.   One second I was plodding up the slope then the next second I had a sprain warning, the mountain screen was replaced with a small window on which there was progress bar. Then it was all over.  It happened so quickly I could even see what the progress bar was about.  Fortunately I was able to return to my last auto-save at the Mountaineer's Hut.

A day or two later I continued my climb and got beyond the deer clearing and climbed a rope.  Immediately after reaching the top the computer crashed.    Fortunately I needed a sleep at the bottom of the rope so there was an auto save at that point, so It wasn't a big problem.

After that I restarted and continued and reached the summit.  I had a walk around picking up a few sticks and retired to the cave.  The computer crashed again.  I can't remember the exact point at, which it crashed.  It was after cooking but whether it was before or after sleeping I can't remember.   Ahhh, the perils of drinking cheap wine when you play TLD.    It is not a big problem.  I'll be able to recover the situation, but normally I have no crashes, then three crashes between Mountaineer's Hut and TWM summit means there is a problem.

I don't feel bad about it.   Over the years I have had many things go wrong with stuff I have been developing.   I don't blame Hinterland for cutting corners and racing ahead, we players demand it.  In fact, I have greatly enjoyed spending today looking for and finding problems.

As always, I love that the game has not been made easier. It seems the team has struck a great balance that presents experienced players with more depth and challenge while not alienating new players. You and some other choice indie devs are everything that is right about the gaming industry right now. Many thanks to the Hinterland team for making me love video games again. Props