The Long Dark Survival Mode Updated to V1.48 -- STEADFAST RANGER

Admin

2 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

It's still going to be a few hours before I can try out the new update... but while Birch Bark is now useable for tea, it's still a viable tinder right?  I mean, I feel like it can be both :) 

Yep.  And now that it's usable for tea, I'm very hesitant to use it as tinder!

1 minute ago, ajb1978 said:

Yep.  And now that it's usable for tea, I'm very hesitant to use it as tinder!

Yes definitely... I've just always thought that having more options is always more fun than having fewer.
Honestly it's been a long time since I even bothered to pick up birch bark... I'm usually too flush with Cattail heads to worry about tinder :D 

I just think it's cool that their medicinal function was an addition and not a trade off, you know what I mean?

• Upvote 1

Wow....just wow. Love the updates and the re-working of some aspects. Great job HL and thanks for your continued thoughtful development. TLD is far and away the most unique and inspired game to come long in many, many years for me. Much appreciated.

• Upvote 1

Its great fun so far. I started a pioneer game and was able to take down a bear with the revolver. I got mauled in the process though. I wouldn't try it except a last resort on any other difficulty level.

Unfortunately I have to get up early but I'm very excited about this, particularly the hunting and firearms stuff.

Wish I didn't have to wake up early. I'd like to try it on my current 70 day voyageur.

I think my favorite moment at the start of this update video is hearing Raph very candidly say, "The first we've fixed in this update is the sprain system... A much hated feature in our game..."  :D 

Edited by ManicManiac

• Hinterland
3 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

I think my favorite moment at the start of this update video is hearing Raph very candidly say, "The first we've fixed in this update is the sprain system... A much hated feature in our game..."  :D 

Not sure the "fix" is much less hated, yet... ;) 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 5

giphy.gif

What more can I say?

Sprain system, very intuitive and works beautifully ( goaters, beware! Just got back from Goatwolf Mountain, I feel sore ). 

Adressing the sprains? Even better, there's the option to treat the pain or tough it out paying a price in skill proficiency with weapons.

A use for birch bark, awesome and gives me a blue'ish gray mug to improv base décor, 10/10. 

Improvised rags was requested by many so hooray, I probably won't use them since there's rabbit stuff which is better and more stylish. Maybe I'll use the rags if I'm roleplaying a hobo.

New fluid animal movement is awesome, I shot a bear and he booked up a hill pushing from the hind legs and looking, well, like a bear fleeing from a threat. Wolves stop and pay attention, and even their sprint has a little build-up acceleration that looks the part.

New sound design ( you guys can't sneak sound improvements without us noticing ) is fantastic, with added ambient noises ( specially at night ). Improving perhaps one of the strongest suits in the game. Again, bravo. 

And that majestic revolver...

Man, in a short time I hunted a bear, deer and rabbit with it. It's not as good as the rifle to hunt ( as designed ) but still feels phenomenal to use. The draw speed is what fascinates me, it's quick as you'd expect from something that may save your life in a split second decision, makes a glorious noise, the modelling and texturing looks superb... It's effing awesome, it's what it is. I'm a devout interlopist but I will make a custom StalkerLoper just to live with it a little longer.

Awesome stuff, 10/10 guys. 

Edited by Dan_
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

It isn't by me at least (I have never experienced so many sprains before) but as one of the others posted ... these changes will take time to adapt to.  So exciting!!  Thank you and your team for these wonderful updates to a much loved game.  THANK YOU!!!! 

Edited by Ardawna

1 hour ago, ManicManiac said:

I really like the fix.  We had the option before to trun off the limping effect on the camera. (I like it so I keep it on...). But being able to very clearly see when I am on a slope that puts me at risk, and how rapidly the slope(s) can change in a very short distance of travel... makes it obvious why some of those unexpected sprains (falls) on "small" slopes happens. The new affliction "Sprain Risk" when over-encumbered or exhausted is a good thing too, IMHO. That little yellow reminder that I need to go careful, or put some stuff down, or get some sleep. Or push on, carrying the world in my pack, and accept the risk I now obviously know I put on myself.

Spawned in randomly on Coastal Highway, so... day 5 and already dealing with  many wolves, and a bear I can hear, but have not seen yet. Waterfront Cottages, so I know where he might be... and I keep expecting to have him tap me on the shoulder, right before...

Enjoying it so far, and looking forward to playing with more of the new stuff, as I go. No revolver yet, but I found 1 bullet. I am biting that bullet each time I have to make a dash from the cottages to the QGS.  ;)

• Upvote 2

• Hinterland
4 minutes ago, ThePancakeLady said:

I really like the fix.  We had the option before to trun off the limping effect on the camera. (I like it so I keep it on...). But being able to very clearly see when I am on a slope that puts me at risk, and how rapidly the slope(s) can change in a very short distance of travel... makes it obvious why some of those unexpected sprains (falls) on "small" slopes happens. The new affliction "Sprain Risk" when over-encumbered or exhausted is a good thing too, IMHO. That little yellow reminder that I need to go careful, or put some stuff down, or get some sleep. Or push on, carrying the world in my pack, and accept the risk I now obviously know I put on myself.

Just to be clear -- being Encumbered always triggered the risk of a sprain, but we just didn't expose it through the UI. So that behaviour hasn't changed at all, it's just more noticeable to people. But yes, hopefully exposing this (and the risk of sprains on steep surfaces) will drive some new player behaviour. I know that for myself, I'm much more aware of how I route-find through the world, and I no longer assume that the shortest distance between two points is necessarily the best path to take. :) 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Admin said:

* [General] Fixed issue causing graphical corruption when playing in OpenGL on an Nvidia GPU.

🐧 :fire:🐧

For this and all the rest: good job, huge update, much appreciated (I do love the new aiming system)

Just to be clear -- being Encumbered always triggered the risk of a sprain, but we just didn't expose it through the UI. So that behaviour hasn't changed at all, it's just more noticeable to people. But yes, hopefully exposing this (and the risk of sprains on steep surfaces) will drive some new player behaviour. **I know that for myself, I'm much more aware of how I route-find through the world, and I no longer assume that the shortest distance between two points is necessarily the best path to take.** :) 

Exactly what I meant, but you said it way better than I did. I can only blame a lack of Pancakes for my poor choice of words. ; )

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, thekillergreece said:

I can't find the revolver in 3 regions, only ammo.

Is it a bug?

In the video, you can see a the revolver beeing picked up at the basement, did you checked it out?

Of course. This is impossible to disable this visually annoying icon. I'd prefer to "guess" when my character is in risk with sprain, like before. (and by the way, this I have the same critic about wind icon in the middle of my screen, and the same critic about the "crouched icon", and the same critic with the "riffle hold" icon. - useless and annoying ! ).

Edited by Vinceofpyrenees
  • Like 2

Thanks, Hinterland, for the update. I really don't understand how some people are able to complain right after downloading that something is NOT in the update. I would rather look at the things which ARE there, and they seem great (no time to play since the update, but surely will do so as soon as I can). I also hope that there are little changes in the landscape/level design here and there which are not mentioned in the changenotes. I always like getting back into the game after a while and finding little surprises here and there.

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, Hotzn said:

I just relay a comment on steam forums: " i beg the differ. i got 4 different sprains in about 75meters...

it feels like playing a glassman simulator.

i think i am now at day 15-ish and i ve had something like 20 sprains yet.

Yes, i like how you could actually use that rosehip and painkiller now, but come on it is clearly a little bit too sensitive.

note : most sprains happened on flat surfaces!  "

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Vinceofpyrenees said:

Of course. This is impossible to disable this visually annoying icon. I'd prefer to "guess" when my character is in risk with sprain, like before. (and by the way, this I have the same critic about wind icon in the middle of my screen, and the same critic about the "crouched icon", and the same critic with the "riffle hold" icon. - useless and annoying ! ).

Turn off the UI in options and you'll get your wish. I personally have been playing for about the last three weeks that way... makes for a different experience, that's for sure.

I've actually turned it back on for a bit with the new update while I acclimatise myself to the new systems. I anticipate turning it off in a few days to a week (work is going to keep me from playing for a least a few more days).

You can find it from the main menu in Options -> Display -> Hud Type -> set it to off and you'll get exactly what you're looking for.

• Upvote 2