Can't kill the old bear!

I know there are a lot of posts about the bear boss fight after redux, but I still can't kill the bear. I've tried everything and read and watched people do it but no luck. I can get the spear no problem but when it comes to stabbing the bear, I just can't do it. I've tried aiming it and releasing it at just the right time but I always get mauled to death. Either I'm terrible at this or it's a bug, I don't know, but what I do know is that it's frustrating. I don't know what I am doing wrong. Am I supposed to press something after I aim? I don't know. I want to finish Wintermute but I can't. Please help! 

When you click and hold, Will sets the spear into position.  You have to hold it in that position and let the bear impale itself, which initiates the button-mash bear struggle.  The trick is knowing when to plant the spear, because once you do, Will's stamina plunges rapidly.  From a full meter, you can only keep the spear planted for a few seconds.  So if you just got done sprinting towards the spear and have no stamina left after grabbing it, you can't effectively use it.  If you must sprint to get the spear, make sure you leave at least half your sprint bar left, so that you can hold the spear in position long enough for the bear to impale itself.

That's really the only "trick" to it.  Knowing when to plant it, so you don't run out of stamina before the bear gets to you.  Apart from that, you just have to hold the mouse button down, and wait for the bear to do the work for you.

After finishing one bear struggle successfully, DO NOT attempt another until your stamina replenishes completely.

• Upvote 2

@ajb1978's advice is spot on.  The timing can indeed be tricky.  I find what worked for me in general was to set the spear right after it finished raring up and started it's charge...  Just like ajb1978 said, you have to set and hold the spear in position (I aim for center mass though I don't know how much of a factor that is) until it reaches you and impales itself in the process.

Good luck battling that freight-train of hate and hunger!

• Upvote 1

Guest hoasd1

I suggest using that energy boost medicine for the fight.

Note:do you know the energy boost used in the Redux trailer?

Ok now I can impale the bear but I am never able to click fast enough. It doesn't get anywhere near fifty percent. I don't know what I should do. The controller sucks, the mouse sucks, and the touchpad sucks. Please help! Again!

Well, lets see... how's your frame rate?  I know that low frame rate can make struggles very difficult.  I don't remember exactly why... but I remember before I purchased my new(er) laptop, the frame rate on my old one was comparatively very low and I always had a lot of trouble with the struggle mechanics.

I don't know if that's your situation... but that was mine.  Once I was getting a better frame rate, it was much more responsive and struggles got a lot easier.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Well for me, I used an option in steam to display my frame rate (it's very small) in the upper right hand corner of the screen.

As far as increasing it... you can try to tweak your graphics settings a little lower, you can get better performance that way at the cost of some visual quality.

In my case the issue was I had very old hardware... so I got some newer hardware with more capacity (RAM, better graphics card, ext...)

I went from an awful 23 FPS to about 75 FPS... which by most gamers' standards is still low, but it works for me.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

• 9 months later...

I know this has been discussed to death, no pun intended.

System: PS4

Scene: Old Bear in Cave, Kill With Spear

Bug: Bear won't die after more than 3 spear fights.

Solution: Load saves before getting dragged into cave.

Result: Did not work. Stuck in endless stabbing loop.

Did anyone try the suggestion of waiting for the bear to bleed to death?

This sucks.

On 29/2/2020 at 0:49, Finjamin said:

Sé que esto se ha discutido hasta la muerte, sin juego de palabras.

Sistema: PS4

Escena: Viejo oso en la cueva, matar con lanza

Error: El oso no morirá después de más de 3 peleas de lanza.

Solución: Cargue los guardados antes de ser arrastrado a la cueva.

Resultado: no funcionó. Atrapado en un bucle sin fin.

¿Alguien intentó la sugerencia de esperar a que el oso se desangrara?

Esto apesta.

to end that bear in options change the configuration, use press and hold instead of having to click repeatedly with the mouse and it worked perfectly for me.