Is Penitent Scholar possible now?

jolynsbass

When Penitent scholar was first released, I tried to go after the achievement by finding and reading all research books. However, since I actually had to use some of my skills to survive in the unforgiving world, one of those skills rose to a 5 (carcass harvesting, I believe), before I'd read all of the books on the topic. Then, when I tried to read a book that would increase carcass harvesting, the game wouldn't let me, saying something along the lines of "That book wouldn't do me any good", or something. This inability to read made it impossible to fulfill the achievement requirements - very disappointing!

So, has this been fixed? I should think that if my character wants to waste his time and calories reading a book that would do him no good, that's his choice! (and mine, too!)

Thanks for any info/help you offer!

• Like 1

I doubt it has been "fixed".  

As a workaround for the achievement, you could create a super-easy custom game.  You could probably find all the books within a couple hours (especially if you research where some of the constant spawns are).

Also, when this happened did you report the problem?  If not, they might not realize that particular set of circumstances.  You could ask about/report on this problem though their support page.  This way you will get some direct feedback as to whether they are aware of the issue, whether they already fixed it, or if they still need to work on it.

There was/is apparently something similar where if you collected buffer memories, you could not go back and read over them from your journal unless you had already collected a "note left behind" (the problem being if you didn't pick up a note, there was no option to view other collectables).

Edited by ManicManiac

• 10 months later...

I realized in my last play-through that the wording of the achievement is what made it seem impossible. I actually did get it. It's way easier than I thought!

Instead of reading Complete all Research books.
(which I thought meant *all*, as in every book in the game, from each map - dozens! which you can't do once you have a skill up to 5. )

It is better with a clarifier: Complete Research in each book category. (you only need 1 of each to get the achievement - totally doable.)

Anyway, there is nothing wrong with this achievement at all - just maybe a little tweak to the description could help avoid confusion among some overly-literal players like me!