Some basic questions

irish1983

First off water. How the heck do you get water? ive tried walking around and crouching by small frozen creeks or in the snow. I don't see an option to even eat snow.

Second: Wolve attacks. If your unarmed are you just dead? I have read some response on how to fight wolves but they kill me in less than 4-5 seconds (my condition is more than 80% to start when they jump me i've never gone below that). I hit LMB rapidly to build up the bar and then RMB but nothing happens. By the time I do this once and try again Ive died from shock/blood loss. Im going to start again and just go straight for the first wolf I see to try again but so far im frustrated.

Compass? is there a compass to be found?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

First off water. How the heck do you get water? ive tried walking around and crouching by small frozen creeks or in the snow. I don't see an option to even eat snow.

Check your stove or campfire after it's lit ;)

Second: Wolve attacks. If your unarmed are you just dead? I have read some response on how to fight wolves but they kill me in less than 4-5 seconds (my condition is more than 80% to start when they jump me i've never gone below that). I hit LMB rapidly to build up the bar and then RMB but nothing happens. By the time I do this once and try again Ive died from shock/blood loss. Im going to start again and just go straight for the first wolf I see to try again but so far im frustrated.

Update to v.166 (which, at time of this post, was released about 10 minutes ago) -- some wolf tuning to make it a little easier.

No, geomagnetic event would affect it right now.

Check your stove or campfire after it's lit ;)

Update to v.166 (which, at time of this post, was released about 10 minutes ago) -- some wolf tuning to make it a little easier.

No, geomagnetic event would affect it right now.

Out of curiosity, do you know how the 166 update changed things? I thought wolves were a joke before but now I'm scared after fluffy tore me to shreds, lol. Just wanna know if odds of survival are at least a tad better now.

Edit: Scratch that, just found the thread with details listed.

So ya I just keep dying. I had a pry bar and I could do nothing. Just don't get what I,m supposed to do. I spam right click and it never gets off me. i spam left click then hit right click and it never gets off me. Losing interest after being killed 5 times and not winning one fight.

Gonna look over release notes to see if anything is mentioned. When I downloaded the update it didn't mention anything about mechanics.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had good luck killing wolves when fighting them off but only if I have a hunting knife. (found once on a corpse and once in a fishing hut). Felt so kickass after my first kill. Wolves are tasty. :)

I should clarify - after the wolf stops fighting it'll yelp and run away, leaving a trail of blood. Typically the next day you'll find it lying dead and frozen ready to harvest. :)

More often than not if I get two full strength knife stabs in at a wolf and it runs off to die, I have the time to go get shelter (since I tend to hang around the coastal town, shelter is pretty close ;P), heal myself, then sleep to regain my condition, which usually takes me to the next day. When I go back out, I look around for the body, since it generally never runs out farther than several meters away from the attack site. Harvest meat and bam, a way of getting meat without having to waste a bullet...albeit a dangerous and not very recommended way. :D

I would not recommend following the blood trail if your condition is low. The wolf may attack again, or come back with his big brother!

If you're lucky you can actually kill the wolf in the first fight and you don't have to follow it.

If my condition is still okay after an attack, I follow the wolf and try and stay at a bit of a distance, let them return to their 'patrol state' and try not to to get so close that they flee farther. They usually drop dead after a few minutes.

i have left them overnight due to my condition. The next day the blood trail is gone and I couldn't find the wolf.

Archived