Vince 49

The Revised Cooking System

I realize I may be in the minority, but I really don't like the new cooking system for survival mode, although it certainly makes sense for story mode.  I tried the Vigilant Flame version and noticed several subtle improvements.  Also, for normal day to day use, the new cooking system didn't seem that bad. I tried it for about a week.  However, when I killed a deer and had to cook over 20 pounds of meat, The Long Dark became a cooking game.  I didn't sign up for that.  Fortunately, I bought The Long Dark from GOG, without Galaxy,  so I was able to revert to Rugged Sentinel. 

Don't get me wrong.  I've been playing RPGs of one kind or another since The Magic Candle, if anybody can remember back that far.  Even in that long list of RPGs, The Long Dark is a high point.  I don't expect Hinterland to go back to the old way, but it would be really awesome if the old way was an option for a custom game.

Do let me know what you think.  I'd like to know if I'm the only one that pines for the old cooking system for survival mode.

Edited by Vince 49
clarity

It took me some getting used to, but once I did I honestly don't have any problems with the new cooking system. You just have to get familiar with the various nuances.

Being able to do something else while something is cooking is a plus for me, which you couldn't do before.

• Upvote 2

It does change your sense of time management, I can see that point... but to compensate there are wonderful 6 burner ranges you can take advantage of... :D

Plus being able to multitask a bit while waiting for something to cook or cook while taking a half hour to craft something... you find ways to use the time more efficiently, which is what the new system was made for (at least in my opinion).

Edited by ManicManiac

Dude I cooked up an entire moose in an afternoon.  In terms of speed and efficiency, the new cooking system is objectively better than the old one.

• Upvote 1

I actually prefer the new Cooking System to the old one. :P 

• Upvote 1

The new cooking system is way more efficient, you can use two or more fires at the same time in caves, some multiple stoves, and you can time the fire so that you can leave the meat to cook and go on with your business. Your example about cooking a whole deer is not impressive, how many steaks did you get, 9? You could have made five fires by torch pulling (in a cave, obviously) and be done with it in a hour (in-game). I remember cooking a moose with the old system, it took days. Now THAT was a cooking game.

By the way, clicking on the fire and selecting the pot icon saves you the trouble of aiming the steak at the slot, if your inventory is not clogged with cans, pots and cups.

Sorry, I have to agree with everyone else. Took a short bit of time to get used to the system after Vigilant Flame dropped, but now...

In the time it takes you to cook an entire deer (in-game time)< I can cook an entire deer, mend my socks and toque, get a few hours of reading in, and make a few gallons of water and medicinal teas to drink. And I can run out to grab more sticks and logs for the fire while the fire is burning, and my food is coking and water is boiling.Or I can just cook, and use the [SPACE] to speed things along, so time goes by faster, and my food insta-cooks.

Obviously, you are free to enjoy whatever version of the game you choose to, and with a DRM free copy, you do not have to update your game version if you choose not to. But you are also not getting any bug fixes, performance optimizations, graphics upgrades, any other new features like Buffer Memories, the new Challenge Mode, and the Redux version of Wintermute. And you won't get the Revolver when the new update drops on Monday.  I prefer the new cooking system for efficiency and "realism". But, I also preferred the Ultima games or Might & Magic games to The Magic Candle, so, we may just have different tastes in games. :)

Also, you can harvest and cook a deer at the same time. That alone is great

I don't like the first UI element you get when you select a fire, prompting you what to do. That's immersion breaking. But the rest is fine

Edited by Serenity

I loathe wasting meat on any of the animals I put down, so I always make a point to harvest and if possible cook all the meat I get. Suffice to say everytime I killed a bear before the cooking update a boring and repetitive harvesting and cooking marathon ensued. The new update solved this beautifully with the ability to collect firewood and have multiple items and on multiple campfires to accelerate this process, while cook-harvesting the rest of the meat. 

Honestly, I think this was the single best change Hinterland has done to the game since I've been playing it ( Circa 2015, Desolation Point Update ).

I respect the OP's patience to give it a try but you'll eventually get used to the cooking times so keep at it(plus they'll go down dramatically as the cooking skill improves). If the long cooking times ever become a problem, move somewhere with a six hob stove. Problem solved. 

Edited by Dan_

Yeah, sorry, I feel that the cooking update was a vast improvement. You can use that time that it takes to cook the meat now to do other things, which makes sense. You aren't going to just sit and watch something cook if  you have other things to do.

Hello and thanks to all of you that responded.  The message I get is I really should give it another try.  And I will.

However, I do have a teensy problem unrelated to the cooking system.  In Rugged Sentinel, when you do things like chopping a branch or passing time, the fauna freeze in place.  If you don't use a rifle and depend on a bow and arrows as I do, this provides an exploit that I use that saves a lot of arrows.  When you shoot a wolf, especially at the lower skill levels, often the wolf (with my arrow stuck in him) is not killed instantly, but runs away to bleed out.  As he can run as much as half a kilometer before he drops, even with a blood trail, it is often difficult or impossible to find him, or the arrow fell out as he was running around--so one more arrow lost.  If, as soon as you see that he didn't drop instantly, you pass time for an hour, the wolf continues to bleed out, but doesn't move.  So when you finish passing time, you will find the dead wolf and your arrow close by.

Although I do plan to update, I'll wait a few days and update to Steadfast Ranger.  However, once I do, there will be some games, such as the one I'm playing now, that will no longer be practical.  Right now I'm playing a Stalker game restricted to one region that does not have a forge; Pleasant Valley in this case.  At day 52 I've killed 1 moose, 1 bear, and 39 wolves, 4 via struggles and 33 with a bow.  I found a total of 8 arrows and (partly due to the exploit) have only lost 1.  Without the exploit I'd be out of arrows by now.  I understand that this non-forge region challenge is not a standard game and joining the modern (Long Dark) world has significant benefits--which I look forward to enjoying soon.  Just the same, I've spent many hours, often fruitlessly, looking for wolves with my arrow in them before I began using this exploit.  I would be glad to hear any new ideas on how to loose arrows at a slower rate.

BTW, I would not normally hijack a thread with a new subject.  However, I am very satisfied with the feedback I've received on my original question and think this new subject is worth discussing.

41 minutes ago, Vince 49 said:

When you shoot a wolf, especially at the lower skill levels, often the wolf (with my arrow stuck in him) is not killed instantly, but runs away to bleed out.  As he can run as much as half a kilometer before he drops, even with a blood trail, it is often difficult or impossible to find him, or the arrow fell out as he was running around--so one more arrow lost.  If, as soon as you see that he didn't drop instantly, you pass time for an hour, the wolf continues to bleed out, but doesn't move.  So when you finish passing time, you will find the dead wolf and your arrow close by.

From what I've seen with mapping (just to make an example of a time-warping activity) fauna moves in the blurred background, so it could be that the mentioned exploit was fixed a while ago. Losing arrows to panicked wolves is surely bothersome, but following the crows may help you to avoid it.

Anyway, baiting wolves grants a slow moving target, and headshots are fatal. Throwing stones works too, but they're usually further away.

Edited by Doc Feral

I didn't like it at first either, but now that I've gotten accustomed to it, I like it.