Fireplace light visible from outside buildings

amadeuszbx

Seeing a post in another Milton Mailbag, made me come up with this kind of question/request for the future.

So, there was this question about light coming out of trapper's cabin's windows at night, as if there was light inside. Players reported that you can see it through the windows from the outside. You said that it was a bug and that you would remove it, but a lot of people came in, asking you not to. It seems that seeing such a cozy light coming from the inside made  a lot of people feel comfortable and very homey. 

That's why I would like to ask: maybe you could consider to add into the game a mechanic where, when you have some fire lit inside a house (like a stove or a fireplace) some of the light from this fire can be seen through the windows from the outside?  Definitely nothing too bright, and not ALL the windows, so it would not  look as if you have some electricity working in there. Just faint light in one or two windows that are in the close proximity of this fireplace.

It would be something similar to already existing feature of the smoke coming out of the chimney. I think that such small, purely aesthetical detail would not really influence the gameplay, at the same time increasing this unique feeling of coziness and peace that many players (myself included) love your game for!

8 hours ago, amadeuszbx said:

Seeing a post in another Milton Mailbag, made me come up with this kind of question/request for the future.

So, there was this question about light coming out of trapper's cabin's windows at night, as if there was light inside. Players reported that you can see it through the windows from the outside. You said that it was a bug and that you would remove it, but a lot of people came in, asking you not to. It seems that seeing such a cozy light coming from the inside made  a lot of people feel comfortable and very homey. 

That's why I would like to ask: maybe you could consider to add into the game a mechanic where, when you have some fire lit inside a house (like a stove or a fireplace) some of the light from this fire can be seen through the windows from the outside?  Definitely nothing too bright, and not ALL the windows, so it would not  look as if you have some electricity working in there. Just faint light in one or two windows that are in the close proximity of this fireplace.

It would be something similar to already existing feature of the smoke coming out of the chimney. I think that such small, purely aesthetical detail would not really influence the gameplay, at the same time increasing this unique feeling of coziness and peace that many players (myself included) love your game for!

I'm pretty sure that that's already in the game. The problem with Trapper's Cabin was that the light was coming out of it even though there was no fire or lantern inside. 🙂

On 5/2/2019 at 5:26 AM, Azdrawee said:

I'm pretty sure that that's already in the game. The problem with Trapper's Cabin was that the light was coming out of it even though there was no fire or lantern inside. 🙂

Is it? I've never noticed it, and I'm quite sure that I specifically tried to see it. I lit the fireplace in several different interiors and then went outside in the night to check if I can see anything. I was quite sure I didn't, but I guess I have to check this out again, the next time I play the game. 😁

Spoilers for the Wintermute campaign below

I think that since redux, there is a bug where light comes out of Trappers is because the NPC lives there, so there was technically an endlessly burning stove inside. And ever since before redux, if you left outside in the evening with the stove on, the windows would be illuminated and the smoke would be coming out of the chimney.

Before the Redux, certain (not all of them) but certain houses would change in appearance if you had a fire burning inside of them (most of the time a specific fire, like fireplace), and checked it from the outside. You probably never realized this because players don't usually waste fire fuel and leave fire inside burning as they go outside. In Predux if you did this, the houses would usually have a smoke, coming out of the chimney and in some cases also light, coming out of the windows, if it was a small cabin like Trappers. You don't see this often because not many small cabins have a wood stove inside. But with trappers, the light in the windows if the stove was burning has been in the game since early Alpha, Im pretty sure.

So this is already in the game, technically.

5 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

Spoilers for the Wintermute campaign below

I think that since redux, there is a bug where light comes out of Trappers is because the NPC lives there, so there was technically an endlessly burning stove inside. And ever since before redux, if you left outside in the evening with the stove on, the windows would be illuminated and the smoke would be coming out of the chimney. 

Before the Redux, certain (not all of them) but certain houses would change in appearance if you had a fire burning inside of them (most of the time a specific fire, like fireplace), and checked it from the outside. You probably never realized this because players don't usually waste fire fuel and leave fire inside burning as they go outside. In Predux if you did this, the houses would usually have a smoke, coming out of the chimney and in some cases also light, coming out of the windows, if it was a small cabin like Trappers. You don't see this often because not many small cabins have a wood stove inside. But with trappers, the light in the windows if the stove was burning has been in the game since early Alpha, Im pretty sure.

So this is already in the game, technically.

I'm 100% sure it happened in PREDUX as well. I've reported it a while ago. 🙂