Crafting Suggestions

LiveHereNow

I'd like to see nuance and depth added to crafting. And it may not take that much retooling to do so...

1) Player improvements to main crafted items. What if you can make a better improvised knife with a higher skill level (and maybe more/other materials)? And this knife was then lighter/faster/more durable?

2) More plants to discover uses and combinations (Red Dead Redemption 2 is an example here). Why not have 5 differnt teas... why not combinations of existing teas... what about 5 item soups? Beyond food... what if you can use blackberries to stain your jacket to make it darker and reduce wolves sighting you (camouflage).

3) Choices in materials to main crafting. What if you can make pants or a jacket from any animal? What if there were three kinds of saplings and their subsequently crafted bows and arrows are slightly different (accuracy, durability, stability, etc)?

4) Augmentations to main crafting. What if you can modify the core crafted items? Rabbit skin gloves... now with wax coating exterior (water repellence), and/or double fur (durability), and/or fleece lining (have to combine fleece gloves and rabbit gloves).

5) Cosmetics... 

Even if the effects are slight, it would add depth and allow players to style items more to their play style, not just choose one or the other.

• Upvote 1

You should have candles in the game, I like to have light but not waste my lantern fuel indoors. What Canadian cabin or place in the wilderness doesn’t have some candles laying around ?....I think there should be some more ways to set up your bases, even being able to move the furniture around would be nice.

• Upvote 4

It would be interesting if crafting were a skill you could improve over time, resulting in better quality crafted items.

More plants, more animals... always a nice idea.  As long as things don't get too "cluttered."

I think in general... having more options is always more fun than having fewer.  :) 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

It would be interesting if crafting were a skill you could improve over time, resulting in better quality crafted items.

This. ^^^

Just like mending and sharpening... skill points given, but based on the "difficulty" of the crafting being done. Preparing rose hips or reishi would only give 1 point, crafting bunny mittens would give 5, something to that effect. Or have point given only for crafting that needs a workbench or forge, no points for the stuff that we do a ton of, like making tinder plugs from sticks, or ripping cloth into bandages? And the level ups would give a faster time for crafting an item. Cut the decay rate for crafted clothing and tools by a *small* amount?
A Research Book like "Bushcraft 101: Making Stuff From Almost Anything" could be added, with a similar point value as the Ice Fishing book.
Possibly have it make repairs (Storm Lantern and other tools?) faster and less likely to fail or improve times when forging after level 3?

*Not-so-random thoughts...*

• 4 weeks later...

I like the idea of a crafting skill that increases when doing various crafting things.  When you get a higher crafting skill level, it will take less time to craft different things as well as make durable crafted items (items that have a percentage -or charges, would not be at full percentage unless the crafter was highly skilled when they made it). 

Things like when you make line from guts or hooks from scrap metal and then combine them into fishing tackle, you always get 3 hooks and 2 lines and then the tackle is at 100%.  Have the lower skill levels make only 2 hooks and 1 line, until they get good at the crafting and aren't as wasteful, do they then get 3 and 2 of each.  Have the resulting Tackle be a lower percentage value, until the crafter gets higher in skill, does the Tackle gets closer to the full 100%.