Photo Mode

Philos

A photo mode is really necessary for this beautifully looking game. TLD has a lot of opportunity to take artistic/minimalistic screenshots. A Free roam camera, changing FOV and angle gives unlimited possibility and makes unique almost each screenshots. There are plenty of people like me who takes screenshots from games as a hobby and I think this feature can really help to raise TLD's popularity more. And my personal wish is that please don't implement Nvidia Ansel or any other third-party tools because things gets messy with every update. 

If you would like to take a look, here you can see some of my screenshots from other games: https://www.flickr.com/photos/essovius/

• Upvote 4

I think there could be a photo mode button, so you could easily turn off the HUD. And maybe the free camera on pilgrim? Since it's already supposed to be a mode for you to enjoy the scenery.

Edited by tommykneip
  • Upvote 1

Guest kristaok

I see no reason for this since we already have the ability to use F10, so it's a no from me... sorry. :/ 

On 5/2/2019 at 8:49 PM, ManicManiac said:

but... that's what F10 does.
(though come to think of it, I'm not sure if there is a similar option on consoles)

On 5/3/2019 at 1:28 AM, kristaok said:

I see no reason for this since we already have the ability to use F10, so it's a no from me... sorry. :/ 

F10 saves a secreenshot directly to the desktop. It would be nice and even simpler if we could just just turn off the HUD for steam's screenshot function. Some people like to share photos on steam with their friends. And also, sometimes when I use F10 some parts of the HUD are actually visible in the photo (happens sometimes with the day/night meter part of the HUD) so it has not been fully reliable to me.

Edited by tommykneip

34 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

Yeah, I think being able to turn off the HUD at will would be a nice touch.

Come to think of it... it might even be an interesting challenge to be able to do a run with no HUD at all.  :) But that is divergent to the topic at hand.

There's an option to turn the HUD off in the settings, but I'm not sure it works properly since I tried to use it for photos and part of the HUD was still visible. And having to turn it off at settings every time we want to screenshot is something that might disencourage people to take photos.

Overall I just think this game is astonishingly beautiful and I know a lot of people would love to take pictures and share them on steam or whatever without the HUD always showing up in the scenery.

55 minutes ago, Hawk said:

There's a HUD Type setting in the Display settings to set the HUD to Contextual. That way the HUD only shows when you hit the Tab key, for whatever that's worth.

Yeah, and it's cool but I don't like using it because it doesn't show in crafting or passing time. So here's an idea, passing time in any way should bring up the contextual HUD, so you don't actually get starving or thirsty by mistake. Or at least pressing tab should not cancel what you're doing. I'd much prefer a contextual HUD, the only reason my HUD is always on is this.

Yes, but with contextual you will have indicators that become persistent when they are considered to be at critical levels.  Which I like, don't get me wrong.  I keep my HUD settings on contextual and I love how that works.

I'd just never considered trying switching that setting to "off" for the purposes of trying to do a "HUDless" run.

And I think @tommykneip stated that using that option didn't fully deactivate all HUD components for him in his experience, and that F10 sometimes still had artifacts from the HUD when he would try to use F10 for screenshots (at least if I understand his statements correctly).

1 hour ago, ManicManiac said:

And I think @tommykneip stated that using that option didn't fully deactivate all HUD components for him in his experience, and that F10 sometimes still had artifacts from the HUD when he would try to use F10 for screenshots (at least if I understand his statements correctly).

The "clock" part of the HUD is still active when turned off (though this may be on purpose)
And the same part of the HUD can sometimes be visible when screenshoting with F10. (this is most certainly supposed to happen)

Turning HUD off is not a problem here. The point of photo mode is that gives you ability to pause current scene and move camera freely and change field of view, camera angle etc.. when you get that perfect spot for shot. Also there is an in-game post-processing application called Reshade which you can apply own filters to the game. Unfortunately, even Reshade not working properly with TLD atm.