Wendigo stole the damn rope!

Doc Feral

Now, I don't like complaining. And i truly hate from the bottom of my heart looking at online maps to find the correct path to places. But this time I HAD to do it. I'm trying to find the way to the summit of Timberwolf Mountain, and after weeks of trying I looked at the wikia for the map. If I'm not hopelessly dumb the rope should be somewhere along this cliff. Instead of the rope I found a big NOPE. Am I looking at the wrong place or what? I'm near Andre's peak, an engine, the tunnel going down into the chasm, right newt to the cargo container, and that should be the cliff. May the Black Goat with a Thousand Youngs crap on the rope thief's head from above.

screen_0da6c4ed-2f07-400c-a083-1788e91ed8ec_hi.png

screen_2b48b614-20ba-43c9-81e4-4227d6e85185_hi.png

screen_99049d06-ed4c-4462-b719-1fd77e7f104e_hi.png

screen_e0b7ec86-32e3-426c-8588-7ba5f7c48b77_hi.png

You really should pay more attention to the legend of the map, then.

1818774525_Vstiek.PNG.aef8439ddb3bcdd2853b3fcab03262e5.PNG

And this is not the way to the Summit :) 

Hint: You need to travel through both caves to get to the top (unless you cheese in which case you dont need to go through the first one)

• Upvote 1

Actually, there are at least two (if you cheese it, three) routes you can get to the summit. Although they will definitely all converge to the same route eventually. 

Think PC game design logic... which route is USUALLY the correct one? The "longest" one.

But note that there is a bear on that route and it's very narrow

The left side is for the way down. Up the mountain you can use it for multiple trips. First time you take the long way around, but you can take a rope from the summit (or the cave below it) and put it there for a faster descent. Though it's also possible to goat down to the next level without a rope.

I will only note that the rope climb near Deer Clearing is the only one that gets you from the lower level containing the Mountaineer Hut to the upper level containing the Summit. Be careful if you move that rope. There is a nonfunctional shortcut (unless it has been fixed) near Deer Clearing. There is no way to bypass this rope without deploying a rope at another climbing location (Eric Falls is a good one, maybe the best one, maybe the only alternative one you can be sure of). 

There are other ropes that can be taken up, but carefully consider before taking up the Summit rope or the Deer Clearing rope.  I think players have taken up the Summit rope for some reason, then just skyrimmed down the mountain only to find they had no way back to the Summit because they took up the rope. 

Have fun at the Summit. Let us know if you encountered any empty cargo containers or empty cargo compartments. I have and ironically it made getting stuff down from the Summit a bit easier because there was less to take down.  :)

I'm still scrolling down suggestions without reading... Thank you but I want to do it myself. It's my typical game style. Start playing. Kids call. Pause. Wife calls. Pause once more. Something else. Just quit. Without saving nor mapping. And so I've forgotten about reaching the Deer Clearing before. Now I'm back there, exploring the area.

11 hours ago, UTC-10 said:

I will only note that the rope climb near Deer Clearing is the only one that gets you from the lower level containing the Mountaineer Hut to the upper level containing the Summit. Be careful if you move that rope. There is a nonfunctional shortcut (unless it has been fixed) near Deer Clearing. There is no way to bypass this rope without deploying a rope at another climbing location (Eric Falls is a good one, maybe the best one, maybe the only alternative one you can be sure of). 

There are other ropes that can be taken up, but carefully consider before taking up the Summit rope or the Deer Clearing rope.  I think players have taken up the Summit rope for some reason, then just skyrimmed down the mountain only to find they had no way back to the Summit because they took up the rope. 

Have fun at the Summit. Let us know if you encountered any empty cargo containers or empty cargo compartments. I have and ironically it made getting stuff down from the Summit a bit easier because there was less to take down.  :)

Technically you can get to the Summit without using any ropes at all. But it is time consuming and dangerous.

Watch at your own risk:

The rope Wendigo stole is found by heading left from the mouth of chasm cave until you reach the engine bowl. You will see it dangling 😈 Evil thing to do indeed, moving it across the map, denying survivors a relatively direct route to the soda. ☺️ 

I don't know how much did it take, but I've made it to the summit. At least a week, stopping everywhere for gathering, hunting, skinning and so on. And risking death by dehidration a couple of times forgetting to pick up the cans before moving.

On 4/30/2019 at 3:50 PM, RossBondReturns said:

Technically you can get to the Summit without using any ropes at all. But it is time consuming and dangerous.

Not to toot my own horns🐐but I did test the paths and the goat 🐐 path is faster and only slightly dangerous if not taking the last rope.  If danger is not your middle name then use the hybrid method: goat to Secluded Shelf and when on interloper have a coffee or another energy drink then climb the last rope.

Started at the Mountaineer's Hut on pilgrim.  Walked all the way.  Used a full lantern to gauge time.

1329657751_screen_(890162340)_3b85ac41-c10f-4fc4-a8a8-5d22d9cfd13f.thumb.png.3f7e3fbc1a1a455c7d5871a979bb136b.png

screen_092621f4-0871-4f8b-a6d3-ec7b1dc74b1d.thumb.png.e1b7da1a8b3733385d3f2fa94c376ec4.png

Goat path 🐐

screen_46dcf1b8-c624-490f-a575-ddce3fa658f1.thumb.png.d56adc29bc808607cbb7738a3cf04f7d.png

Double Rope Climb

After climbing two ropes to get to Secluded Shelf you will need a rest or pot of coffee or stim to reach the plane.  The goat 🐐path takes you to Secluded Shelf with more energy then climbing the two ropes, however, it does take a little longer taking into account that the lantern was turned off during the rope climbs. 

The best part is using the goat 🐐path can get you to the plane before the lantern :lantern:burns out.   On an interloper TWM start I usually rush the summit.

iama:)🐐

Thanks @Ice Hole but I'll keep using ropes when going upwards. The way back is another story, given how much loot I always carry I try to spare myself some climbs.

One container in the plane was empty, another one along the road only had a soda can in it. For the second one I surely blame it on arriving there nearing day 200: food items surely rotted, and being in a container they disappeared.

Now the descent begins. Just to point out how covetous I am, I satisfiyingly mapped the mountainous area and printed it, so as I move I can mark the caves as I check them, to be sure I'm not abandoning useful stuff (mostly skins, guts and some tools) left behind from my many previous temporary camps...

Edited by Doc Feral