Part 1: A journey Begins

My story begins in Pleasant Valley, I'm right next to the mine entrance leading to Coastal Highway. Looking down the region ready to take on Great Bears cold, wolves, bears, and anything and anything else she can throw at me, I decide to make my way down to the farmstead placed right at the very center of Pleasant Valley.

1.thumb.png.6befdf3565fd02fac18d3ab3d5a60650.png

Along the way I make a quick stop at the red barn to see if it has supplies, not expecting much, but since i'm currently carrying little more than the very cloths on my back pretty much anything can be useful right now.

2.thumb.png.c41094d5258de78aa62b6d82d815aa42.png

Inside I found some basic supplies, bits of food, some better clothing. However two things that will really be helpful later, a hacksaw and some nice tool, high quality stuff too. Very nice, I will take this as a small victory and continue my walk to the farmstead, making sure to pick up the arrows stuck into the target right outside the barn.

5.thumb.png.4e13bd2dfd89deb39c13d82b0a22be0e.png  

• Upvote 3
  • Like 3

Part 2: The Farmstead

My trip between the red barn and the farmstead was uneventful. Cold and some wolves I had to sneak by, but mostly uneventful otherwise. Once I made it inside I briefly enjoy the warmish air inside, then get to work looting the place then sorting stuff around. Food went in the fridge, medical supplies into the first aid kit in the bathroom, clothing...Well I happily put on. Next stop was the basement.

6.thumb.png.7c4ef2f2e593be03e27226a16e531230.png

Once inside the basement the first thing my eyes caught was a storm lantern, lovely. Nothing else noteworthy was down there so I head outside to find a few things. First thing I wanted was to find some saplings, I'm not going to find any rifles so a bow is going to be my only weapon for hunting anything bigger than a rabbit. Speaking of rabbits that's the second thing on my "grocery list" mainly for their pelts so I can get some nice mitts and a hat, also i'm going to need their guts for the bow, and the meat is a small bonus. I wonder around the area a little bit and find a nice surprise, and hatchet and a deer carcass. I'm going to need deer pelts for the boots and pants later on so this gives me a nice head start on working towards that, and the hatchet is... Well a hatchet is never not useful.

8.thumb.png.2be770e6fd648abf595e08d71c615bcc.png     

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Hi there, it's a cute story. Is this Stalker mode since you've named it Among Wolves? 😊

Just now, tulkawen said:

Hi there, it's a cute story. Is this Stalker mode since you've named it Among Wolves? 😊

Sort of, it's custom game with mostly stalker settings, including the wolf spawn being set to very high. However I set the needs decay rate to medium like voyageur, and made the rifle unavailable like interloper. Everything else is set to stalker like settings. 

• Upvote 1

Part 3: Rabbit Season

After finding my hatchet I continue my search for saplings and rabbits. Eventually I spotted a couple of the furry fiends upon a small hill along with a few rocks nearby, a perfect combination. I began to throw the rocks at them for a brief while until I eventually nail both of them, now I just needed two more.

9.thumb.png.fc3f33328f34bb675c3f766b1c3096c7.png

After spending a few more in-game hours with no luck finding anymore rabbits or those darn saplings I spotted some. However my excitement died faster than someone trying to give a bear a hug when I realized that I found birch saplings instead of maple ones.  I was hoping to find maple saplings first since I already had a few intact arrows form the red barn. Oh well I will need more arrows at some point so I might aswell take them.

10.thumb.png.84055f7648ae59a2a3ea0cfbc74d773a.png

After even more searching I found the last two rabbits that I needed for the mits, along with a hunters blind present nearby. I quickly took a look inside to see if anything was there and I found a survival knife and a book about field dressing. There was also some worn out cotton mits that I don't need since I already had a pair of wool mits, and soon some rabbit ones once I catch the furry fiends just out side.

12.thumb.png.7f2d3260faa62c2cc0e6d18047d89f0f.png

After my battle against the rabbits I decide to head home since all this rabbit meat on me will make it so even the wolves all the way in Forlorn Muskeg could smell me. On my way back I spotted what to me at the time was the gold at the end of a rainbow, some maple saplings, I quickly dash over to pick them up. Once I collected one I then heard a snarl from behind me, a hungry wolf that wanted me for dinner with rabbit on the side. I decide to cut my sapling harvest short as I needed one for the time being, I could always go back for the rest of them at a later time.

11.thumb.png.ada66748ae69f4131a464305f6115b60.png

• Upvote 1

Just now, kristaok said:

This is good Lemon :) 

Thank you, i'm having a lot of fun doing this so I will defiantly be continuing.  

• Like 1

Part 4: Dinner Time

I head back to the farm with the wolf in tow, thankfully I made it indoors safely and have a quick breather now that I'm safe to do so. After gathering up a little courage I go outside again to get to the basement. Once inside I harvest those rabbits that I been gathering up all day then neatly place all the pelts and saplings on the ground so they get their chance to cured. It will take about a 3-7 days for everything here to do their thing so I need to find something productive to do until then. After ponder this I hear a great big rumble, was it a bear getting ready to break into the basement? Nope it was just my stomach, so I headed back upstairs to make dinner.

13.thumb.png.0bc782f157d613fa0239be41ce187c8f.png

After chopping up some furniture and placing the bits and pieces of them into the stove, I tried to start up my first fire this run, thankfully it worked first try because books make a great starter. Once that is done I place the venison from the already dead deer on the stove first then the rabbit meat second, finally I use the last of the fires life to boil some water. By the time I was done with this great feast it was getting late and I was tired so I put the leftovers into the fridge and head up stairs for bed, ending my first day.

14.thumb.png.709ab57a8cdfba8e5cd0c2753a5c9239.png  

Part 5: Signal Hill

I woke up in the middle of the night due to not being tired anymore, but when I noticed something... The lights were on, that means an aurora. Instead of passing time with solitaire I decided it would more productive if I read through that field dressing guide that I picked up inside that hunters blind earlier that day. After I was done reading I spent that last few couple of hours sleeping to make sure I had full energy in the morning.

15.thumb.png.695752443c2ec3a6d27de6e647335473.png

I woke up just as the sun came out, I decide that today I would scavenge around in the buildings that dot around Pleasant Valley. My first stop would be Signal Hill since it tends to be have high quality clothing like parkas and combat clothing. So after downing a can of summit soda for breakfast I walk outside to face my second day of the freezing winds of Great Bear.

16.thumb.png.fa7b34d58b8151a5a828bd300420f8cd.png

After reaching the bottom of the hill I notice that a climbing rope leading to the top was dangling right in front of me. I chose to skip this approach since I didn't want to burn half my energy right at the start of the day, I was going to need it to carry everything on me, plus anything that I decide to take with me. I toke the long way, it was cold and had a bear guarding the path but it was still preferable compared to losing my carrying weight. I make it to the top just as I start to freeze from that lovely morning temperature, I went inside to have a look around.

17.thumb.png.aa120cfe671b59ed385f140df1cfb8f8.png  

Inside I found some canned goods, an MRE witch is nice, and water. I was right about finding better clothing, I found a combat coat and pants, these were much better than what I currently had on so I put them on and granted my previous cloths the honour of being ripped up into cloth so I can repair the combat clothing I just got. After my repair session I was already warmed up (both literally and mentally) to go about my day, I take one last look around the room, and i'm sure as heck glad that I did... I can't believe that I almost missed quite possibly the most useful tool in the whole game, a firestriker in near perfect condition aswell. After thanking myself for taking the time to taking a second look inside that room I scurry outside and make my way over to town.

18-a.thumb.png.519186291d7954c92ecba7cf173ca714.png

• Like 1

On 4/30/2019 at 6:33 PM, DerpyLemon115 said:

Thank you, i'm having a lot of fun doing this so I will defiantly be continuing.  

Keep it up!

Part 6: Ghost Town

Walking down from Signal Hill I spotted another deer carcass and went to harvest its parts. After harvesting I made a fire and cooked the meat right away so it would have less of a scent to it. While the venison cooking I took a short walk and found some more rabbit, I needed just three more so I could get a nice hat along with the mits, thus begun my second scourge of the furry fiends. Once done with harvesting and cooking I continued my walk over to the Rural Crossroads.

20.thumb.png.8d3db7ae29d4d5661cdc33735a3a2b41.png

Once inside town I was stuck with some disappointment as only three buildings remained, the store, an incomplete house, and a normal house. Only thing worth taking in the whole town was the food, and some clothing that was the same as what I was wearing but in a little better condition so on they go. After that I went home, it was getting late in the day I spent the rest of it repair my clothing and gear, boiled some water then went to bed for the night.

21.thumb.png.5e39ab86c295a628d4f8fa1c3c8c0bff.png 

• Like 1

Just now, LilWolf said:

Keep it up!

Will do. Replies like this do help motivate me.

• Like 1

Part 7: Road to Coastal Highway

With no more places of interest in Pleasant Valley to search anymore I decide to travel to a new region, Coastal Highway here I come. After having breakfast I head out towards the mine that lead right to Coastal Highway, not sure what I will do when I get there, maybe I will find some fishing line to craft a fishing tackle? I suppose I shall figure it all out when I get there.

22.thumb.png.0e7824b7a2823658db25122d5f7b641c.png

Entering the mine, I turn on my lantern to combat the darkness surrounding me and head straight in. About halfway through the mine was some sort of storage for the workers down here, I found a simple parka and a fishing line like I was hoping. One other thing that I found was an arrow shaft inside a tool box, I never found an arrow shaft before, I though they could only be crafted. I took it with me and walked through the rest of the mine.

23.thumb.png.b3bf50475c8554a2f2e16806dd3bee11.png

I made it to the exit leading to Coastal Highway, I turn my lantern back off and head outside ready to face the cold once more. Once outside I make my way to an abandoned lookout tower so I could get a good look at the area.

24.thumb.png.77bb3f8b52d60eebd4ae421240334892.png

• Like 1

Part 8: Fishing Trip

Now atop of the Abandoned Tower, I decide on my temporary home here. The Quonset Garage would be the main choice however I expect that the town would be littered with wolves and maybe even a bear nearby so I don't expect to be able stay there without a weapon. I think either Jackrabbit Island or its twin Island Misanthrope's Homestead would have to be my home instead. I then begin to move down to the town.

25.thumb.png.adb862312fcc9c546a0057b15f2e5878.png

Once I made it into town my expectations were right, it was full of wolves, no way I could stay here. I sneak past and started making my way onto the frozen ocean toward the island homes. On the way I spotted another dead deer, taking a look around to see if any wolves were nearby, there wasn't so i began harvesting. Once done I made my way over to a fishing hut to start cooking.

27.thumb.png.f1f90fca3895218233048599224d9fa0.png

While cooking the venison I decided to make a fishing tackle and began to fish for the rest of the day. After about 4 hours I caught a coho salmon and a rainbow trout before my tackle broke, well that was short lived.

28.thumb.png.78d69544a655c2982eaaac0050b95585.png

It was night time by the time I was done cooking the fish, another aurora was active when I walked outside. I enter the nearest Island house and went to straight to bed, didn't even bother looting the place, that could wait until morning....

29.thumb.png.131b8188225ec967bb5fe5030e522c96.png

Soooo... I have some bad news regarding Among Wolves.... Ever since the new update "Steadfast Ranger" came out I was unable to play my Among Wolves run as the game kept crashing whenever I load a save (Same thing happend with the other save I had and any new games I started). Long story short is that I had to delete my save data to be able to play again, this of course removed my Among Wolves run... So it looks like this series has been cancelled, sorry everyone...     

Posted (edited)

Yes, a lot of players experienced crashes with the new update. I read here and on Twitter that they are working to fix it. Too bad the series has been cancelled, I was liking it. Hope you make another one! (Maybe "Among Wolves: The Rebirth" :D).

Edited by LilWolf
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LilWolf said:

Yes, a lot of players experienced crashes with the new update. I read here and on Twitter that they are working to fix it. Too bad the series has been cancelled, I was liking it. Hope you make another one! (Maybe "Among Wolves: The Rebirth" :D).

Yeah I have heard that it is a problem with multiple people. I do plan on starting another story like Among Wolves in the future (Probably won't call it Among Wolves: The Rebirth but thanks for the kind words)

Aww sorry Derpy :( - I lost my Saves too, I deleted them all even my Story Mode one so having to kill the Bear again when Episode 3 returns is going to suck SO bad! 

@kristaok If you have killed the bear and completed Episode 2 you can continue the story without start again from zero. I didn't kill the bear in the cave but yes before the Redux Update so Episode 3 will be unlocked.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LilWolf said:

@kristaok If you have killed the bear and completed Episode 2 you can continue the story without start again from zero. I didn't kill the bear in the cave but yes before the Redux Update so Episode 3 will be unlocked.

Even if I deleted My Story Mode Save?

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, kristaok said:

Even if I deleted My Story Mode Save?

You deleted it in your computer but Steam Cloud should have the files. Once you get the achievements of the Episodes you don't need to re-play them again.

Edited by LilWolf
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, LilWolf said:

You deleted it in your computer but Steam Cloud should have the files. Once you get the achievements of the Episodes you don't need to re-play them again.

Awww okay thanks! I get it now! :D this is GREAT news! 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I though of something that I could do to revive Among Wolves. I could start up a new game and try to "recreate" the run the best I can and pick up where I left off. I was only about 4 days in so it is do-able to mostly recreate the run (Not perfectly of course but defiantly enough to make it work). I was having a lot of fun with this story so I wouldn't mind doing this at all, it will take a few days.

Edited by DerpyLemon115
  • Like 2

Very good news, I made a new game and "retraced my steps" to try and create my Among Wolves save as closely as possible and I think I'm at a point where i'm close enough to continue this story where I left off on the new save. The next few parts are going to be a little bumpy for me (especially when I get back to the farmstead) but it will hopefully be worth it. Big thanks to those leaving encouraging replies, you were the ones that helped motivate me to revive Among Wolves, and I hope that you enjoy the series going forward.

• Like 2