Lighthouse

piddy3825

That is cold, lol. But, keep in mind that is fresh-water from the Lake, not salt-water from the ocean. So, salt-water freezes at a lower temperature than fresh water. 

That is the West Pierhead Lighthouse (aka/The Cleveland Harbor Main Entrance Lighthouse) on Lake Erie, in Cleveland, Ohio. And it is still in use on the lake for recreational boaters and commercial mariners. It began freezing over annually in 2010 or 2011, and has frozen over each year since. Oddly, the other lighthouses on the lake do not seem to have the same problem. Or *art event*, as it were. It's only 3 1/2 hours away from us, so we go up every year to see it. And take cameras,  of course. Though, with me being in hospital, we missed it this year. :((

18 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

That is cold, lol. But, keep in mind that is fresh-water from the Lake, not salt-water from the ocean. So, salt-water freezes at a lower temperature than fresh water. 

That is the West Pierhead Lighthouse (aka/The Cleveland Harbor Main Entrance Lighthouse) on Lake Erie, in Cleveland, Ohio. And it is still in use on the lake for recreational boaters and commercial mariners. It began freezing over annually in 2010 or 2011, and has frozen over each year since. Oddly, the other lighthouses on the lake do not seem to have the same problem. Or *art event*, as it were. It's only 3 1/2 hours away from us, so we go up every year to see it. And take cameras,  of course. Though, with me being in hospital, we missed it this year. :((

Outstanding that you have seen this in person!  and sorry to hear about your being ill, hopefully you are fully recovered.  I can imagine what it would be like to be living in a lighthouse like that, only to wake up the next day after a storm to find yourself "frozen in" and unable to get out.  I hope the doors all open to the inside so i could at least chip my way outta there.   I watched that video and pretended all those sea gulls were crows!  lol

Lol! They automated the lighthouses on Lake Erie some time ago, though they do still have humans who have to visit them to maintain them. Ad it is incredible to go to Cleveland, see the lighthouse naked, looking normal, stay for a week during cold weather, and look at it several times each day, as you go about visiting the city (Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, baby!), and watch the waves hit the island, and build up the ice on the entire island. It really makes you feel small, Mother Nature can be brutal, yet beautiful at the same time. It does make me wonder what the Keeper(s) back in the early days, early 1900's, when the lighthouses were built, dealt with every Winter, or if shipping on the lake was stopped, except for the truly foolish or daring ship captains. 

If you ever get a chance to go... go, see it. There may be others closer as well. I would imagine in Canada, there have to be lighthouses along the coasts that see a similar thing each Winter. :)

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Guest kristaok
1 hour ago, piddy3825 said:

...your reply made me chuckle... Thanks!

Was it a bad reply lol? Because that's all I really noticed is it was covered all in ice.

I lived in Cleveland in college. I drove the shore way, what we called the highway along the lake, everyday. You would even see this on fences, rocks and sometimes cars of people who left their cars at the parks at the shore overnight! It was always a cool sight. This only usually happened early in the winter, later on the coastal waters had froze for a mile or so out kind of like the water in CH.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, XaldinVii said:

I lived in Cleveland in college. I drove the shore way, what we called the highway along the lake, everyday. You would even see this on fences, rocks and sometimes cars of people who left their cars at the parks at the shore overnight! It was always a cool sight. This only usually happened early in the winter, later on the coastal waters had froze for a mile or so out kind of like the water in CH.

Nice! My Sis went to Case Western, I know the road you are talking about, I think. OMG, I can't imagine finding my car, left in a parking space overnight, needing to be thawed out to get inside of it. That would suck, lol.

• Like 1