Ovens During Aurora

Wintermute_TLD

Guest kristaok

If the energy was higher maybe, but then Refrigerators would have to work as well, and toilets, and showers, and the list goes on... :P 

Any amount of engy would not be produced in the correct form factor anyway: a stable AC or DC output. Maybe only basic cooking heaters would work, but that's 100s of watts... no water pumps, no ovens, even the torch should not be working.

Guest kristaok
11 hours ago, Ghosty 1944 said:

Hmmm I guess I always thought the stoves were propane. Maybe they have electric lighter's?

I use a propane stove here where I stay in the Mountains since it gets cold, so this would make sense that they also use these sort of stoves... good point!

Gotta say I disagree with what the others claim about the power of Aurora. The redux campaign showed that the aurora event is no ordinary EMF event, but a seriously powerful one. It fried even the military radio (which for all intent and purposes was supposed to be EMF proof, as one would expect from a high-end military broadcasting equipment) that Jeremiah had.

It can power up even big lights, which (as far as I know) a regular EMF solar flare event wouldnt cause.

However, the "stoves" you probably mean are trully gas powered, as far as I can tell at least, from the way they look... however, there are many electric cook plates and hot plates scattered around the Great bear, usually on tables or in cupboards. These should work during aurora.

If the aurora is capable of recharging the battery of high-power electric torch, it can heat up a hot plate as well.

(I have a feeling those hot plates were meant to become aurora cook spots in the future, as they werent there always, they were added after the re-work of interiors)

The stoves in the game are gas or propane.... look at the burners on top. Electric stoves have coils or flat glass surfaces. Not burners. And most buildings with stoves in them have large propane or fuel tanks outside of them. The small camping type stoves found in some areas also have burners (flame) on them, not heat coils. 

Microwaves? Maybe. But if this was/is a massive CME event, ongoing, which would affect and potentially damage  electronic and magnetic items and devices... the magnetrons that run the microwave may not function properly, if at all. Though the box of the microwave oven does make a wonderful Faraday cage. Like that matters on a remote, almost deserted island that appears to be 30 years behind the times, but still... Microwaves cook using radiation, and leak small amounts when working properly. And a damaged magnetron could cause excessive leakage of radiation, resulting in burns to our survivor or fire risks to the structure. So, perhaps it is better that they do not work?

But Aurora can light up gas-discharge lamp due to electromagnetical field without significant amount of power,  even with open circuit and no current. Barely it lights normal lightbulb ingame.

Thats certainly different game than charge 50 Ah car battery, or run 2 kW heater.

You dont even know, if Aurora didnt fryed all low power power circuits in electronics. Devices, like heaters and lighbulbs survived itself, because its without semiconductors, but control unit is gone, so there is no way how to turn on the still operational heater, becase driving logic is burned.

Even so, car battery will never provide enough power for long term cooking. 2 kW heater will suck 45 Ah car battery in 15 minutes. 

Guest kristaok
On 4/28/2019 at 4:57 PM, Wintermute_TLD said:

Damn, sounds like TLD in real life 😅

It is haha... We got the Propane Stove so we can cook if power is out, and a Fireplace for wood in case it gets too cold. I literally live on a Mountain lol... When I first moved out here like a couple months ago? I was like yea... this is like TLD for sure! I see Deer in the Woods around me at least once a week it seems, Wild Turkeys too, it's just so beautiful here... :P 

Edited by kristaok

It would be neat, sure... but it's really just a "wouldn't it be cool if" sort of thing.  I also had the same thought about the coffee makers you find in some places... It would be neat if they would work during the aurora and you could use water and coffee/tea to make drinks :D 

But... the game already has a lot of ways and options for keeping warn and preparing food and water for consumption.  While I think it would be a nice touch, if it never gets added I'm fine either way.  :) 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1