Favorite Regions  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is a tough question to answer.  Like Einstein said, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its life believing that it is stupid.  Similarly I have several favorites for various reasons, so here's my ultimate breakdown.

Favorite House: Mountain Town, the Paradise Meadows farmstead.  Take the back way out to avoid the wolf pack, and you've got a region with good hunting opportunities, and not far away from Mystery lake if you need to replenish lamp oil.  Plus the Paradise Meadows farmstead is the kind of place I could actually see myself living, assuming it were cleaned up and not...all apocalyptic. 8 cook surfaces indoors plus two more outside. Great interior storage, outdoor work bench with fire barrel so you can craft away your cabin fever naked in the middle of a blizzard no problem.

Easy Living: Mystery Lake, the all-around solid choice, with great hunting and fishing, and a cave near the fishing huts where you can set up a ring of campfires to quickly cook a lot of food.  Quick access to a forge and the coastal highway, if you plan on making a day trip out of it.

Unique Home: Timberwolf Mountain.  The storage absolutely sucks, but hunting and fishing opportunities are abundant.  There's only two burners indoors, however since there is no indoor/outdoor transition load, it's super easy to just take your time and cook 2 pieces of whatever at a time.  Carry cooked stuff outside, carry raw stuff inside, and if you have to do that 25 times in a row who cares, no transition means no crash. This place is unique in that you can look out the windows and see what the weather is like, and plan accordingly within the comfort of your own home.

Long-Term Viability: Coastal Highway.  Lacking in cook stations, you can nevertheless set up a row of campfires by a cliff wall for some protection.  Set up enough campfires, you can roast a bear in a couple hours, keeping the odds of it getting blown out fairly low.  Lots of fishing, beachcombing, and trapping opportunities.  Plus an outdoor workbench.  And a forge is a short trip away.  For long-term viability, Coastal Highway is where it's at.  So for this reason, I pick Coastal Highway as my ultimate "favorite", because it's the only region you can spawn in, stay in, never leave, and not run out of resources.

I've got a real soft spot for Mountain Town. The region is great to loot for gear before a trek into HRV. I know, I know, Milton hosts HUGE numbers of wolves, but I tend not to use Gray Mother's house as my main base. Like @ajb1978, I usually set up at Paradise Meadows Farm. Easy access to the basin for hunting and camping, rabbits right outside, a manageable wolf population, and a crafting table with a windproof 2-cooking-slot fire barrel in heat range. Home sweet home.

On 8/3/2019 at 1:27 AM, JujuBear said:

I'm actually trying to set up that tail section for a nice, comfy Summit base

This sparked an idea (which I'm sure has been brought up in the wishlist) - wouldn't it be cool if you could move the wooden crates around to build yourself a wind-break/shelter?  Just think what kind of "fort" we could make in the dam with all those crates! :)

• Upvote 3

On 8/3/2019 at 9:15 PM, noodles said:

No matter what you do you'll only ever be a visitor, not a resident.

I think this can be said for most zones that don't have a forge and workbench.

7 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

This sparked an idea (which I'm sure has been brought up in the wishlist) - wouldn't it be cool if you could move the wooden crates around to build yourself a wind-break/shelter?  Just think what kind of "fort" we could make in the dam with all those crates! :)

I'd be playing TLD twice as long as I usually would if the game allowed for "fort building". Plus, it would kinda make sense in a way. I think a push/pull mechanic in addition to item placement would be something interesting. Could maybe cause faster fatigue to give it a little bit sense of realism.

Hushed River Valley for sure. It is just so relaxing to stare at those lovely waterfalls for hours and hours. I also really like scampering on all of those hidden paths that lead thousands of feet up a cliff. Really feels like mountaineering here in the Colorado Rockies. I don't spend a lot of time in transition zones, but the Ravine also has that very wild feeling, so it's my favorite despite the heart attacks it gives me every time I cross that rickety bridge.

I never really had a clear favorite before.. I guess I like CH and MT more than the others. But recently, I have rediscovered and begun to appreciate the awesome region that is DP.

I used to always hate DP because of CrH (or OIC, depending on your preference). That is the worst transition zone, and I have lost many runs to that stupid place. Anyone who voted for that place as their favorite transition region is crazy. Always 2-3 wolves on Loper and 3-5 on Stalker, terrible sight lines, and the weather always seems to turn on me there. HOWEVER! I have recently started taking the ice route that passes through The Arch, and it suddenly doesn't seem so bad anymore!

As far as DP, I used to be leery of it because I just hadn't spent enough time in the region. I never forged in FM on Stalker, but it was my go-to forge in Loper. Now, I'm realizing that DP is a much better option. You don't have to take anything with you except a hammer! So much coal in the two mines, and all the metal you need in the trailers. I used to hate looting the Lighthouse, until I was recently informed of the route up from the ice. Way easier! Also, I used to hate getting into Hibernia. I was stupidly walking right down the driveway and always risking a wolf attack, as well as another near the car. No more. I exit the mine near Hibernia and go immediately left, and down to the ice. So much easier to pick off the wolves from there. I even conquered my fear of Scruffy by refining my attack technique so it's much more survivable.

So yeah.. DP. Small, loaded with resources, bear and deer to hunt, good loot in the Lighthouse and Scruffy's Cave, plenty of fuel, beachcombing, the best forge in the Riken.. not sure what else I can say! 😁👍

Been a while since I've visited, I stick to the Steam forums mostly but forgot that this is a great forum as well! 

I voted for Mystery Lake as it ever has the homely feeling for me.

However, I'm also going to express love for the Hushed River Valley. That region is dangerous, but incredibly beautiful, and once I learned more of its layout, I found survival in it most interesting.

Posted (edited)

Regardless of the length of my run, HRV has always killed me inside of 3 days there, and I've never lasted more than 48 in TWM ... so ... Out of all the other maps I don't have a stand-out favourite though I did vote for Mystery Lake and The Ravine. 

Unlike most people, I majorly prefer to base out of the Camp Office in ML - mainly for cooking and firemaking reasons.  In the back-wall corner behind the office you can get 3 or 4 fires going at once for cooking up large meat hauls, and they're mostly wind proof except for one specific direction.  You also have the snow bank behind the office where you can drop a snow shelter for when crafting in long sessions such as making a full set of skin clothes, and next to it the flat rock overlooking the lake for wolf spotting and starting single-stick fires with the mag lens to get your skill up.

All that said though, I rarely spend more than 20 nights in a row at the camp office and roam both the Mystery Lake map and its neighbouring zones, especially the Muskeg - I love the Muskeg and go to Marsh Ridge for vacations or the Spence homestead for camping trips as well as forge runs.

I'm also a big fan of Coastal Highway and have almost as long there as Mystery Lake, though my longest ever hermit run was on the coast (200+days straight and that run is approaching 500 days now). Although, I find that Coastal as a whole gives me cabin fever (not my character, but me personally), and I'm usually itching to be off it and moving on as soon as I've looted everywhere and gathered 3 or 4 bear hides and a couple of moose hides.  On my live streams, my "Quonset Gaz Station" hoard is legendary amongst the group of streamers I hang out with and with all of our viewers - the entire interior floors of the gas station covered in wolf pelts and having to cure bear and moose hides on the tyre racks, with deer and rabbit skins curing on the shop counter and shelves, guts curing inside the glass fridges.

Yet I also have a fondness for Pleasant Valley too - when I left there to move my gear out of Mystery Lake before the Wintermute Redux update in December last year, I left significantly over 300 Kg of meat in the snow outside the farmhouse conservatory, and around 200 Kg outside the red barn, with a fully stocked and prepped abandoned preppers cache set up for doing a TWM venture - - not been back to PV since then though in that run (just as well I have cooking 5 as all the meat will be spoiled, though I'd pre-cooked less than 10% of it and so can get it back to 50% condition from ruined and raw).  Heading for TWM is being saved for day 1000 of that run - going in fully prepped and loaded for bear when it happens.

Edited by Gazbeard

I voted Coastal Highway as my favourite region because I think it's one of the most varied and balanced regions of the game world. There are all kinds of buildings — fishing huts, cabins, houses, the garage, the lookout, the trailer...  The landscape offers steep paths and places as well as flat areas of frozen water and man-made roads. And you have more interesting islands than, say, Desolation Point. Same goes for the fauna and available resources. I've played for almost 350 hours at this point and I still find Coastal Highway to be one of the least 'boring' regions.

I voted the Ravine as my favourite transitional region because of its uniqueness. Exploring the ravine itself to get to the flare gun and crossing that railway bridge still thrills me whenever I go there. 

Now that I see the poll's results, I'm a bit surprised by the lack of love for Broken Railroad. While I'll admit I used to like it more before the changes introduced with the Wintermute Redux update (if I remember well) — now the whole entrance area has become unnecessarily more user-hostile and difficult to navigate, in my opinion — Broken Railroad has the Maintenance Shed, which is among my favourite buildings in the whole game. And the Hunting Lodge has a sort of cinematic flair, too. If The Long Dark were an action movie like one from the Jason Bourne or James Bond franchise, I always think the Hunting Lodge would be the perfect place for the decisive shoot-out, haha. 😀