Wolves inside caves?

eric4x4

1 minute ago, Ghosty 1944 said:

Maybe Fluffy did escape and another wolf died in there?? Idk but I miss Fluffy.

That's how I see the story in my mind's eye. Fluffy and her mate found a way into the Dam, through that open window, perhaps. One of them died, probably during one of the first Aurorae, and the wires becoming electrified, and it was not Fluffy. Get hungry enough, and you will eat your dead mate, if it is the only food you can get to. I have had dogs, who were terrified of open-backed stairs, ones they could see through. The stairs going up to the catwalks would have t had them too fearful to try to go up there, util pure desperation set in. Perhaps Fluffy was terrified of those stairs as well, but finally found a way out of the Dam. Wandered around the frozen pond for a while, looking for and calling for her mate. She eventually gave up, and found a way out from behind the Dam, and found her way to her new home, where she was unfortunate enough to become trapped again, or chose to live in the cave, with it's protection from the weather. Perhaps she was a new mother, and this is her den, but no new mate has been found, yet... or perhaps one has.

The story can be whatever you want it to be, there is no firm lore from Hinterland that says it cannot be so. They have wonderfully given us a framework to build our own stories on, in Survival, and even a bit in Story Mode as well, grey areas we can fill with our imagination. How many wolves on Great Bear Island are children or relatives of Fluffy and Scruffy, respectively? :wolf:

I've always loved that this is a thing!  I loved it in the Carter Dam, I was very happy to find this surprise in at least two caves (that I can think of).  It really helps hit home that no place is really safe. 

If I remember some old posts correctly, I think Fluffy and Scruffy both found new dens in the caves (though I don't know if that was ever anything official).  :)

Edited by ManicManiac

• 5 weeks later...

I've never met Fluffy, not even in the Dam but I ran into a wolf in the cave at DP a few days ago. Was that fluffy perhaps?

Scared me silly at first. Luckily I was carrying a lamp at the time and heard a growl. Quickly put the lamp on the cave floor,  got my rifle out and one shotted it.

I was running a customised Interloper with medium wolf spawning for this run through.

1 hour ago, bladerunner900 said:

I've never met Fluffy, not even in the Dam but I ran into a wolf in the cave at DP a few days ago. Was that fluffy perhaps?

Scared me silly at first. Luckily I was carrying a lamp at the time and heard a growl. Quickly put the lamp on the cave floor,  got my rifle out and one shotted it.

I was running a customised Interloper with medium wolf spawning for this run through.

That is Scruffy, as a great many in the Community call him. He is Fluffy's (her) long lost brother, or second cousin thrice removed, or something like that. The family resemblance seems to be pretty clear though. Fluffy has moved on, you'll find her, in her new digs, in a very remote part of the world. 

• Like 1

Guest jeffpeng

I think wolves were always supposed to be able to enter open-world caves. They just basically never did (although incidents have been reported) due to their messy pathfinding. Since that has gotten a lot better in sometime between VF and redux they actually do track you into caves, although I know of no cave that has a wolf directly passing by the entrace on its usual route. So you either must be very stinky, or there must be some other interaction to make them investigate caves on their own. Especially the stinky part of course relies heavily on difficulty.

A very particular spot is Deer Clearing on TWM. It has up to two wolves patrolling nearby, and up to three deers right in front of the cave. Rarely when a wolf chases a deer the deer might decide to run into the cave and the wolf with it.