500 days! Now what?

piddy3825

Hey fellow adventures and survivors!

Been playing the game for a long time now and finally played a character past 500 days and finally unlocked the Will to Live Achievement.   Having traversed the Island and having explored and looted each region as thoroughly as possible, there's really not much left to do beside going thru the daily acts of living.  I've got a few goals I would still like to accomplish, but overall my game play now is starting to feel a little bit more repetitious and a little less adventuresome.   

Question:  What do you do to entertain yourself  in The Long Dark?  Any self imposed challenges or quests?  What keeps you playing your game ?

Guest kristaok

Congrats on making the 500 mark! I have only made the 100 mark! Next up 500! I wish I had some more tips for you though, but since you made it thus far you're doing great!

I enjoy the art of beach combing. Although i have gear to not to be too worried about falling through the ice(well at least once), it one, gives me a beautiful walk along the ocean through several areas, it two, it allows me to find items that i used to think i would not see again, i mean for me finding a maple sapling for the first time  washed up on the ice in CH was super cool as well as super practical..

Challenges you say?  I wander..food/water for a day and go. i like to see how long i can survive outside without resorting to bailing for a basecamp.

I also like to think i am better than Mr. Bear. I find him and see if i can toe to toe one shot or take the mauling..I have died so many times near CH quonset hut with supplies ample enough to survive however long, thinking i can one-shot Mr. bear, go inside have some tea, take a nap, and follow some caw-caws to another trophy pelt. 

The Sunrise.

In spite of my earlier mapping suggestion I have to agree with the point that you're making.  I suspect that 500 game days is about optimum for a game.

I have a Voyager game that has run for just under 900 days, I am finding it hard to motivate myself to take it up to 1,000 game days.  The map is fully drawn, I think, I have left food and fuel supplies at all the places where I am likely to stay overnight.

I suppose I could spend 100 nights in Milton Basin.  There are plenty of deer, plenty of wood, only one wolf and it is easy to avoid Cabin Fever.  The Fishermen's Cabins in CH could be another location to kill time.  It is a bit more interesting and risky there. Although I suspect that for 100 days I'd use up all the nearby wood.  And what's the point of playing the game if all I'm doing is avoiding hardship, challenges and risks.

The one aspect which irritates me in long games is that bedrolls in caves etc. become ruined.  There is nothing worse then being attacked by a wolf or bear in HRV, having your bedroll completely ruined, struggling to a cave in a blizzard to find a useless ruined bedroll.   Perhaps I shouldn't complain about that, it's just another element that makes the game more challenging.

8 minutes ago, peteloud said:

having your bedroll completely ruined, struggling to a cave in a blizzard to find a useless ruined bedroll.   Perhaps I shouldn't complain about that, it's just another element that makes the game more challenging.

Tear the ruined bedroll to shreds, make a snow shelter instead to take a nice nap in. Where is the problem? :D 

15 hours ago, peteloud said:

I like to remove all the black spaces from my maps.  This means checking your maps and going back to awkward places that you haven't visited, or visited and didn't map.

You'll probably get that cartographer achievement in the process.

I guess I could work on that... might as well start a new game then...

I feel your pain.  My longest game so far is on day 1317, and I kind of lost the motivation to continue. Usually I make a point to move all the supplies from the world (apart from a few caches here and there) to one central region--generally Coastal Highway--and "retire" there.  It consists of gathering sticks/coal, fishing, and passing time.  A LOT of passing time...which doesn't make for very entertaining gameplay.   It's just clicking buttons and watching my days survived go up.  So when that happens I take a break for a month or so, and play something else, then when I come back to TLD I just start a new save.

One idea I had a while ago was to play the Nomad challenge, but just intentionally not complete all the requirements.  Treat it like a Voyageur game, and just play as I normally would.  Then if things start to get boring, just complete the remainder of the challenge requirements and that story is ended.

23 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

I feel your pain.  My longest game so far is on day 1317, and I kind of lost the motivation to continue. Usually I make a point to move all the supplies from the world (apart from a few caches here and there) to one central region--generally Coastal Highway--and "retire" there.  It consists of gathering sticks/coal, fishing, and passing time.  A LOT of passing time...which doesn't make for very entertaining gameplay.   It's just clicking buttons and watching my days survived go up.  So when that happens I take a break for a month or so, and play something else, then when I come back to TLD I just start a new save.

One idea I had a while ago was to play the Nomad challenge, but just intentionally not complete all the requirements.  Treat it like a Voyageur game, and just play as I normally would.  Then if things start to get boring, just complete the remainder of the challenge requirements and that story is ended.

Hey nice to hear from you again!  I know what you mean, I have collected just about every item I could find from the island and have moved it to the gas station.  Nothing really left to do besides "live" out my days...  that feels to much like work doesn't it?  In my current 500+ day character, I still need some rifle kills to hit all the "5's" but it seems more like work.  I like your idea however and may give it a try!

Maybe try a Custom game if you start over.  Mess with the rules a bit, keep yourself from getting too complacent.  I say this because I just got snuck up on...by a freakin BEAR.  How does a bear even do that?  That hasn't happened to me in like 4 years.  I mean everything is fine, I was able to limp back to the maintenance shed which I'd fortified, fix up my gear good as new.  But still.  A bear snuck up on me.  ME.  Sheesh...  This game sure has a way of reminding a guy of humility.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

How about collectibles (Buffer memories, cairns, notes)?  You'll burn MANY days on buffers waiting for the auroras (unless you've got the custom setting high).  I liked to re-visit areas (amazing how much stuff I would find).

Not a bad suggestion, but if I were to do that, might as well start a new game... I have looted the island twice over now and consolidated it all at the gas station.  I could, however, with the updates now maybe go harvest a few more respawning  mushrooms or  rose hips but that again just seems like work...

You didn't mention what level you've been playing.  Interloper?

For me, I really don't find Interloper to be much fun.  For me, it's a struggle all day every day.  I made one Interloper run to day 100, quit, and probably won't go back to it--at least not for awhile.

So, I had a question similar to yours.  I've been playing Stalker without a rifle.  I've made it more than 200 days and stopped because there wasn't much left to do.  So I asked myself: "How can I increase the challenge of Stalker besides not using a rifle?".  I've decided on a 3-Region Challenge.  One can not use a rifle and can only travel in three regions, one of which must have a forge.  Right now I'm doing Pleasant Valley, Coastal Highway, and Desolation Point.  My biggest worry is not finding a heavy hammer. 

If anyone reading this tries the 3-Region Challenge, I hope you will post how it went.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Vince 49 said:

You didn't mention what level you've been playing.  Interloper?

For me, I really don't find Interloper to be much fun.  For me, it's a struggle all day every day.  I made one Interloper run to day 100, quit, and probably won't go back to it--at least not for awhile.

So, I had a question similar to yours.  I've been playing Stalker without a rifle.  I've made it more than 200 days and stopped because there wasn't much left to do.  So I asked myself: "How can I increase the challenge of Stalker besides not using a rifle?".  I've decided on a 3-Region Challenge.  One can not use a rifle and can only travel in three regions, one of which must have a forge.  Right now I'm doing Pleasant Valley, Coastal Highway, and Desolation Point.  My biggest worry is not finding a heavy hammer. 

If anyone reading this tries the 3-Region Challenge, I hope you will post how it went.

I did a 1-region challenge with Mystery Lake, a few years ago.  I allowed myself to consider the Winding River and Raven Falls Ravine transition zones to be part of ML, for the purposes of gathering supplies, but other than that initial supply run the goal was to stay in Mystery Lake as long as possible.

I made it almost 500 days, then the 'resolute outfitter' update overhauled the clothing system. It rather nerfed my wardrobe, so I deleted the save and started over.  Had I continued playing I could have gone on another 500 days no problem.  In one region for 1000 days, I'd probably start to see some resource pinch on nonrenewables. Arrow shafts in particular.  At some point I'd run out of arrowheads arrow shafts and have to rely on the rifle.  Once the rifle runs out, I'd be limited to fishing and either sharing a portion of my catch with the local wolf pop to keep them at bay, or engaging them in melee and hoping I don't get bit.  Once all ammo is exhausted, one of 3 things is going to run out first.  Cloth, antiseptic/OMB, and antibiotics/reishi.  Tactical use of antibiotics and antiseptic (i.e. choosing to accept and treat an infection vs using antiseptic) would help stretch it, but you're gonna run out of something.

Edited by ajb1978

On 4/15/2019 at 9:08 PM, peteloud said:

Mrosz4k,

The problem is that a snow shelter might save you one or two nights, a bedroll saves you for a great number of nights in many difficult situations not just one or two nights.

Of course, but if its already ruined, what better use then to tear it up, and make snow shelter instead? :D 

Its the only thing you really can do. Its really your only way to be able to rest that way. Good enough for one night, to recover from the wolf attacks.

Either keep the bedrolls maintained, or store them in containers inside, not lying on the ground in the caves. Another choice would be to craft bearskin bedrolls. But leaving bedrolls lying in the outdoor caves is really not a good idea, cause it degrades very fast when outside.

1 hour ago, ajb1978 said:

I did a 1-region challenge with Mystery Lake, a few years ago.  I allowed myself to consider the Winding River and Raven Falls Ravine transition zones to be part of ML, for the purposes of gathering supplies, but other than that initial supply run the goal was to stay in Mystery Lake as long as possible.

I made it almost 500 days, then the 'resolute outfitter' update overhauled the clothing system. It rather nerfed my wardrobe, so I deleted the save and started over.  Had I continued playing I could have gone on another 500 days no problem.  In one region for 1000 days, I'd probably start to see some resource pinch on nonrenewables. Arrow shafts in particular.  At some point I'd run out of arrowheads arrow shafts and have to rely on the rifle.  Once the rifle runs out, I'd be limited to fishing and either sharing a portion of my catch with the local wolf pop to keep them at bay, or engaging them in melee and hoping I don't get bit.  Once all ammo is exhausted, one of 3 things is going to run out first.  Cloth, antiseptic/OMB, and antibiotics/reishi.  Tactical use of antibiotics and antiseptic (i.e. choosing to accept and treat an infection vs using antiseptic) would help stretch it, but you're gonna run out of something.

If you can avoid getting attacked, you would eventually run out of items to craft the coat, since you would need wolves for that.

Or you could choose to live in Desolation point, where you can literally go on living forever because whatever you might run out of in time would be supplied to you through beachcombing (saplings, metal for forging & repairs of the hammer, toolbox, cloth for forging and cloth repairs). There should be a bear, several wolf areas, several deer areas and couple of rabbit grooves as well, so all craftable clothes would be a possibility)

Edited by Mroz4k

2 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

Or you could choose to live in Desolation point, where you can literally go on living forever because whatever you might run out of in time would be supplied to you through beachcombing (saplings, metal for forging & repairs of the hammer, toolbox, cloth for forging and cloth repairs). There should be a bear, several wolf areas, several deer areas and couple of rabbit grooves as well, so all craftable clothes would be a possibility)

I'm currently playing a side game where I spawned into DP and wanted to limit myself just to the area and only utilize those resources available.  Two issues immediately became apparent, one was not having a 2 ltr pot to boil water in, (I did make do with cans, lots of cans), but the biggest problem was no maple saplings.  I did find 5 birch saplings so I had a good start on arrows, but the lack of bow making materials made it a lot more difficult to continue survival once the scavenged survival bow broke.  Makes me wish there was a bow maintenance feature in the game....

On 4/19/2019 at 5:47 PM, piddy3825 said:

Not a bad suggestion, but if I were to do that, might as well start a new game... I have looted the island twice over now and consolidated it all at the gas station.  I could, however, with the updates now maybe go harvest a few more respawning  mushrooms or  rose hips but that again just seems like work...

If you're adverse to re-visiting areas you've already looted, I suppose this isn't an option for you.  I chose to do it with my most "veteran" character (who is at 1100+ days now) because I have him equipped just the way I want with stashes all over.

4 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

If you're adverse to re-visiting areas you've already looted, I suppose this isn't an option for you.  I chose to do it with my most "veteran" character (who is at 1100+ days now) because I have him equipped just the way I want with stashes all over.

I think you hit the nail on the head with establishing "stashes" all over.  In my next play through, I think I am going to do exactly that.  I think I will loot each map thoroughly  and establish two or more semi-permanent camps in each region.  That way I can travel fairly light all the time and still have all the comforts and resources available when I arrive at camp.  

10 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

I think you hit the nail on the head with establishing "stashes" all over.  In my next play through, I think I am going to do exactly that.  I think I will loot each map thoroughly  and establish two or more semi-permanent camps in each region.  That way I can travel fairly light all the time and still have all the comforts and resources available when I arrive at camp.  

Setting up this safety net is best done this way - Set up an outpost somewhere around the middle of each region, with more detailed supplies (like tools, bedroll, clothing repair materials, at least a day´s worth of fuel, fire starting materials, medical items, weapons etc. - and then several smaller caches around each region. These would only have the essentials - fuel, medical items, food & water, and a means to get a fire going fast. That way, no matter where in the region you are, you have a safe place to fall to in case the crap hits the fan. For outposts, you should also try to pick only items that dont degrade. So with medical items, go with the natural ones.

The only region that is somewhat problematic with this is the Forlorn Muskeg, as it does not have any indoor locations around the center of the map, but only the ridge cave way to the northwest. In this case, that is the best place for an outpost, but for that same reason I would make the amount of cache locations around the Muskeg more plentiful. I also create two "sub-outposts", one in the trainwreck, and another at Spence´s, that way I am sort-of covered even if a crisis happens closer to the BR or ML crossings.

Should the crap hit the fan, fall back to the nearest cache for emergencies, and if the immediate emergency is averted, proceed to the outpost to recover.

Edited by Mroz4k
  • Upvote 2