If you had to...

Guest kristaok

Guest kristaok

survive on just 2 already made Foods in TLD, what would they be? (excluding Water since with snow that's pretty abundant).

For me since I can't hunt (never tried even though I do love me some Deer Meat), I would probably go with an MRE since they are packed full of nutrients and everything you could need like Meats, Fruits, Veggies, etc. Then perhaps I could take the time to try my hand at some Fishing since that is something I could do, and I used to enjoy such hobby as a kid even though it's been a really long time since I have done it. 

EDIT: The 2 types of Foods you pick you have a huge ration of, so no worries about running out for a good while. :P

PS. If MRE's are considered too OP for this question than I would go with Pork & Beans instead, Pork for the fat / calories, and the Beans for fiber / fullness / and protein. 

Edited by kristaok

1 minute ago, kristaok said:

Eww I doubt those taste good lol

It's pretty good if you cook it.  With the stalks you eat the core, not the entire thing.  And if you fry it up in a little butter, it goes from being palatable to downright delicious.

So my two foods would be cat tails and fish.  If I had to pick a specific type of fish, I'd go with the coho salmon.  Salmon is like the bacon of the sea.

Guest kristaok
19 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

It's pretty good if you cook it.  With the stalks you eat the core, not the entire thing.  And if you fry it up in a little butter, it goes from being palatable to downright delicious.

So my two foods would be cat tails and fish.  If I had to pick a specific type of fish, I'd go with the coho salmon.  Salmon is like the bacon of the sea.

I just researched this and people claim they taste like Cucumbers, and sometimes they taste like Potatoes. I do love me some Potatoes! :P I also saw where you can make Flour from them. It also appears that they are very high in Vitamins, so that's a plus. That coupled with your Salmon which I LOVE, you'd be swoll out there in TLD! Plus with all that Fish Oil you could keep a Lamp going. :P 

3 hours ago, kristaok said:

I just researched this and people claim they taste like Cucumbers, and sometimes they taste like Potatoes. I do love me some Potatoes! :P I also saw where you can make Flour from them. It also appears that they are very high in Vitamins, so that's a plus. That coupled with your Salmon which I LOVE, you'd be swoll out there in TLD! Plus with all that Fish Oil you could keep a Lamp going. :P 

When eaten raw they have kind of a dull flavor that kind of tastes the way a swamp smells.  I can see how that's kind of cucumber like... but yeah fry them up in butter, they're way better that way ;)  And yes, the pollen from cat tail flowers can be substituted for flour at a 1:1 ratio.  I've never actually done that myself though, I only know from what I've read.

And hey going with the TLD theme, cook up the salmon, then sautee the cat tails in fish oil.  Mmmmm....  The lucky survive the quiet apocalypse. The skilled thrive in it.

35 minutes ago, kristaok said:

@ajb1978 We have Cat Tails here so I'll have to try this hehe. 

If you do, make sure to check the water quality first!  Cat tails readily absorb chemical contaminants from water, so if you pull cat tails out of a pond next to say a factory or something, you might not want to eat those.  In stagnant water, look for algae growing on the surface.  In running water, look the presence of algae or moss on the rocks nearby.  Those are signs of clean, healthy water.  On the other hand water devoid of algae, possibly with an iridescent sheen in places...steer clear of that!  You don't know what got dumped in there.

Guest kristaok
2 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

If you do, make sure to check the water quality first!  Cat tails readily absorb chemical contaminants from water, so if you pull cat tails out of a pond next to say a factory or something, you might not want to eat those.  In stagnant water, look for algae growing on the surface.  In running water, look the presence of algae or moss on the rocks nearby.  Those are signs of clean, healthy water.  On the other hand water devoid of algae, possibly with an iridescent sheen in places...steer clear of that!  You don't know what got dumped in there.

Thanks for the heads up! We should have pretty clean water here I'm hoping since we live on a mountain. 

Guest kristaok
13 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Pork and beans and tomato soup for sure.. I'll fill a house with recycled cans in no time! 

I only like Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese hehe, but I do love me some Pork N Beans!! :D 

Guest kristaok
9 hours ago, DerpyLemon115 said:

Pinnacle Peaches, and moose meat for me.

The Moose Meat for Protein and the Peaches for Vitamins so ya won't get the Scurvy :P , healthy choice!

3 hours ago, XaldinVii said:

Big Moose Kicks coffee, and some Dry and Salty Beef Jerky to start my day out right. 

Nice! Gotta love Coffee! and Beef Jerky will keep ya going for a good while!

A few days ago I watched a show about West Virginians hunting for some sang (Ginseng), and one guy took nothing but Beef Jerky. Your post reminded me of him. That Jerky pulled him through though. :) 

Edited by kristaok

Guest kristaok
3 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Logically:  MRE and crackers.

Not Logically:  Pork n' Beans (fart power!) & Sardines.

Eww lol hopefully Wolves are scared of farts! 

• 2 weeks later...