some BEARly problematic problems

justin0115

I was in Timber Wolf mountain and I saw a wolf eating a deer.

I then noticed a bear nearby. so I threw a rock to get the bear closer to the wolf.

and the bear just completely ignores the wolf. goes straight through the carves and goes after me. i have only seen this once.

I'm new here so sorry if this is already a topic.

screen_(1526, 129, 448)_84b59bc9-568f-44a2-a909-a1b8af8a11d6.png

output_log.txt

• Upvote 1

The point is not that the bear ignored the wolf, it's the other way round. Bears don't care about wolves or carcasses, their purpose in the cosmic order is to be scary and brutally beat up characters, but wolves flee from bears. When a wolf is feeding it reacts to the character, snarling and taking a defensive stance, and it will charge if the distance becomes too small, or flee if torches are thrown at it. It also flees on pilgrim level if the character comes near, I've seen it happen when my kids played.

Apparently the feeding wolves don't react to bears, there's clearly a hole in their reaction table.

Edited by Doc Feral

On 4/11/2019 at 10:24 PM, Doc Feral said:

The point is not that the bear ignored the wolf, it's the other way round. Bears don't care about wolves or carcasses, their purpose in the cosmic order is to be scary and brutally beat up characters, but wolves flee from bears. When a wolf is feeding it reacts to the character, snarling and taking a defensive stance, and it will charge if the distance becomes too small, or flee if torches are thrown at it. It also flees on pilgrim level if the character comes near, I've seen it happen when my kids played.

Apparently the feeding wolves don't react to bears, there's clearly a hole in their reaction table.

Actually, they do, at least I am fairly certain of it because I have seen it several times happening in the previous updates.

But this goes deeper as a bug, something I have been noticing a lot lately with (finally) playing through the Redux story. And once I hop over to Sandbox, I bet it will be the same there... I noticed that now, when the wolves are feeding, they have a riddiculously small detection level. Like, when they start munching on the carcass, they just DONT CARE what is going on around them. I can literally put a fire 1 meter next to it and it just goes on eating.

I think OP is onto something, but its not a matter with a bear, its a matter with wolves, eating carcasses. I think there is a bug within the game since the Redux came out.

Episode 1 spoilers ahead:

The first wolf you ever come across is munching on a deer carcass, and Will warns us to keep a distance. In the previous version of the Story mode, this took place after you left the 1st cave, and the area around that place was seriously narrow - it was nigh impossible to sneak around that wolf without alerting it. Now, it goes down from the rabbit patch and wolf is sitting in a middle of wide canyon, so bypassing is not an issue like it used to be...

But, my money is on a fact that before Hinterland chose to re-do that part of the story mode by leading us down a different path in the game, they tried to "fix" the issue with the wolf by fiddling with its detection radius when feeding. And, probably by mistake, applied this to all the wolves out there, or at least to some of them, because this seems to happen in some cases.

I hunt deer using wolves and scaring them with fires a lot, so I guess I noticed this pattern where some of the other players wouldnt. It is definitedly a lot different then it used to be in the past. Much, much easier to sneak up on a wolf that is feasting then it used to be.

I may try to check this. Yesterday I used a herd of deer to distract a wolf, and as it was chomping the slowest one I decided it would be fun to throw some stones between its teeth. Apparently the mutt got scared and ran away. FIRST TIME EVER that I managed to scare off a wolf with a stone, and I'm not even sure of my accuracy. On the other hand, I personally never saw a bear passing near a feeding wolf.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Doc Feral said:

I may try to check this. Yesterday I used a herd of deer to distract a wolf, and as it was chomping the slowest one I decided it would be fun to throw some stones between its teeth. Apparently the mutt got scared and ran away. FIRST TIME EVER that I managed to scare off a wolf with a stone, and I'm not even sure of my accuracy. On the other hand, I personally never saw a bear passing near a feeding wolf.

That's my idea now, too. I will have to run some tests to check my hypothesis. Till now I assumed it was just a happy/unhappy coincidence, but seeing this report I think this might be a generalized wolf behaviour.

Wolves only start running away in panic if you hit their hitbox with the stone and get lucky. And it happens rarely... I use stones with wolves all the time (usually to distract them instead of trying to scare them away, you know, throwing a stone in a direction away from me so I can sneak past behind their back, because they just love to investigate noises) - but I have only successfully scared wolf by hitting it with a stone two or three times. 

On 4/14/2019 at 8:21 AM, Mroz4k said:

But this goes deeper as a bug, something I have been noticing a lot lately with (finally) playing through the Redux story. And once I hop over to Sandbox, I bet it will be the same there... I noticed that now, when the wolves are feeding, they have a riddiculously small detection level. Like, when they start munching on the carcass, they just DONT CARE what is going on around them. I can literally put a fire 1 meter next to it and it just goes on eating.

i am fairly certain that it is only a story mode thing it is there to make it easier to move around them. In my survival experience they are just as perceptive as always.

Zdravím :D 

I believe this is more likely linked to the setting difficulty. Been playing Voyager sandbox for the better part of today, had three instances of wolves feeding and they definitely seem much more oblivious to the world while feasting now.

Still, three instances are way too little to draw conclusions, will keep an eye out for more situations like this.