Interloper Tactics

Klobberthon

I'm interested in what everyone's plan of action on Interloper is, specifically for the first week or two.  Are there certain regions and specific locations you head to?  Do you risk it all early and head to TWM early after a PV spawn?  Do you speed through locations looking for supplies or forage off the land and go slowly?  Is getting to the forge with appropriate tools the priority?

I've successfully crafted tools and arrow heads only a couple times on Interloper but each of these has ended in some tragedy, probably caused by my eagerness to get to the 'sustainable' style of living with a bow and knife.

P.S. I run Cold Fusion and Snow Walker

I like the TMW start. Two packs of matches and a tool

Then have a quick run through PV, ML and CH. Getting the cat tails in ML is a must - especially while it's still relatively warm. Craft in DP and then settle down in CH or ML for a while. I also like to heat deer carcasses early on to get hides curing for boots and pants.

Another nice early thing to do is getting the distress pistol out of the ravine. There are cat tails and rabbits down there, so it doesn't cost any resources except maybe a coffee

Edited by Serenity
  • Upvote 1

I'd go on a limb and say loper has a steep learning curve but once you're there, it's an easy and very forgiving game mode.Your personal rate of progress in successfully climbing the curve is mostly dependable on two factors: How well do you know the maps and wheter you can manage aggressive wildlife(sometimes a torch is your best friend, so torch travel whenever the weather allows).

If you know the maps and don't panic making a mess of a wolf encounter, you're 75% there already. You can travel unarmed if you know the wolf spots, good loot location and can manage to avoid getting mauled when the wolves inevitably find you. 

If you're really not that capable of walking unarmed, then early game is the hardest part so think ahead to avoid getting caught in a bad situation, your first priority should always be a bow. Getting a bow will make you king of the land and enable you to go where you want, when you want to go. For that you need saplings and guts, so you NEED a hacksaw. This is the best starting tool by far, if you find a hacksaw(you can use loot tables if you want) just procure a couple of maple saplings and a trio of birch and set them to cure at a convenient location ( I like the dam ), seek rabbits for food, pelts and crucially guts. If you spawn far away from a good crafting hub, then harvest the saplings but avoid travelling with the guts, make notes of where they are so you can backtrack and get them and keep moving the saplings and curing them as you sleep. Deer carcasses are also very powerful, I love the dam for this very reason because there are three dead deer (*laughs in elon musk*) by the ravine and up to three more near the winding river side as well, so I'll have tons of guts and deer and rabbit pelts to kit me with pants, hat, boots and mitts when I leave to forge at FM.

In short: Have your crafting materials ready when you return from the forge, if you don't have the saplings and guts cured move to other pursuits like exploring another region or summiting TWM. If you stand still, cabin fever and starvation will get to you. 

By now you have saplings, pelts and guts curing you can choose to forge or summit, your call. I like to summit if I haven't made the trek to the ravine because usually gives you even more resources on the short term and has that sweet flare gun with eitght shells, which basically renders you unkillable and enables you to kill bears if you want to start preparing the bear coats. If I already have a flare gun I just move to the forge and craft. The summit is very doable without a bedroll, just take cloth and sticks for a snow shelter, but a bedroll makes it a walk in the park.

I can't stress this enough but, if you plan on forging in DP take food with you because there is little to be had there, I personally recommend Forlorn Muskeg given you can choose to hop over to milton or go back to ML and there is usually good clothing, food, tools and what not by that map, and there is zero cabin fever risk when forging there. Unless I get a DP spawn, I'm forging by the skeg but both have their pros and cons. Broken railroad is also an option but is farther away than FM and very well guarded by the locals. Again, your call. 

Make a bow when you get back, hunt and stock your base with food ( a pair of deer will see you well fed for a decent chunk of time ) and alternate spending time outside with crafting the clothes. Cabin fever will be your nemesis here, so sleep and cook water outside to balance it out, a bedroll is king for this, just hop back to a safe cave and hang out for a day when it hits. 

By the time you have your bow and a decent set of +15C clothing ( at least ) you are already set. Just hunt the moose for the bag and by now you should be constantly well fed to carry all your clutter with you. Make the coats of choice ( I go moose and bear or double bear, wolf coats are just not very good IMO ), travel, forge again, explore, survive, kit your bases, etc. 

I played loper from nearly the outset and I died constantly until I got past day 30. Know the maps, know how to handle the wolves, hunker down if there's a blizzard ( there's always clothes to repair, medicine to prepare of stuff to break down inside the houses, you're never wasting time ), don't rush the crafting and forging process and crucially: If the weather and visibility are good you have to move. As long as you move to get more food and supplies, you can take your time to craft and forge. 

• Upvote 2