Proposal to improve outdoor sleeping options

Nyarlathotep

Not wanting to completely derail the thread that proposes a tent, I decided to create a new thread with my own idea to tackle this issue instead, so:

Personally, I think a 'tent' would be too overpowered, especially with the proposed features. For all intents and purposes, I think that the snow shelter just needs a little more thought put into it. 

I understand that the snow shelter is a pretty powerful addition to the game, especially when used under the right circumstances, and therefore sacrifices must be made to accommodate this, but the fact that you effectively lose at least 3 cloth each time you make it is pretty punishing and short sighted. 

Maybe instead of introducing a new OP tent item that far exceeds what an 'endgame' item should, Hinterland could somehow make the snow shelter more accessible for players throughout all stages of play. Perhaps the idea of having the option to craft one without using cloth and instead consuming more sticks, but on the flipside this gives it a higher possibility to collapse on the player during crafting/blizzard/heavy snowfall etc...

Something like this would present some really interesting choices for all players at many different stages of the game, especially if it was paired with a feat or skill that allowed successful crafting of more stable structures with increased practice. This skill could also affect a 'critical failure' feature in the form of a collapse (similar to firestarting/repair etc).

If it collapses during a blizzard whilst the player is inside, the game could force a similar mechanic to the 'wolf fight' to allow players to attempt to break free of their snowy grave, increasing their chance for survival if they were not asleep and/or have a low overall condition at the time it collapsed, this struggle could consume a portion or the players health/condition in line with the intensity of the struggle.

(I believe that Canada has a beaver that is pretty good at making homes that don't collapse, and therefore propose that the feat/skill  be called 'The Beaver') ;)

Guest kristaok

I think giving us more options is an even better idea than just having a snow shelter, I think it would be good to have the option to build a simple tent or lean to of sorts, and an igloo as well. So a total of at least 3 options should be good, I would also love the option to have a pulled sled to carry more stuff as well. I just don't want our options limited to just a snow shelter. 

Edit: May I add that I do like your idea though about a new skill surrounding building shelters, etc. I think having that skill would be a nice touch, along with the chance of having a shelter collapse due to a lower skill. 

1 hour ago, kristaok said:

I would also love the option to have a pulled sled to carry more stuff as well. I just don't want our options limited to just a snow shelter. 

OT: just yesterday I was trying to move through Pleasant Valley, and with its average two blizzards a day I thought I might apply a moosehide sail to a sled and skid across the whole region in a few minutes.😁

Guest kristaok
2 hours ago, Doc Feral said:

OT: just yesterday I was trying to move through Pleasant Valley, and with its average two blizzards a day I thought I might apply a moosehide sail to a sled and skid across the whole region in a few minutes.😁

Now that sounds like it would be a blast!

Archived