Milton Mailbag -- Dispatch #28

Raphael van Lierop

• Hinterland

1901831918_28-social.thumb.png.e7ca47f44e6ec145806150c672250720.png

Hello everyone! Below, you'll find the responses to the latest batch of questions from The Long Dark community. Enjoy!

Question from @TropicalSurvivor:

In Episode 3 will we play with Astrid since the plane crash in Milton or will the episode begin in Pleasant Valley?

If we're going to start episode 3 currently in the valley, will there at least be a intro movie showing how she got there?

You'll have to wait and see!!!

Question from @Sceh:

After Redux and its many exciting additions to the story I have been walking around survival mode with my eyes trained a little bit more towards story clues. Donning my P.I. hat in Milton has recently brought the following factoid to my attention: of the headstones in the cemetery, the three with both name and dates visible seem to mark the graves of young women, including Grey Mother's daughter. Now of course my brain went into overdrive, making up stories, going as far as imagining an ancient virgin-sacrificing cult on Great Bear.

Care to comment? If you want to avoid spoilers (please do) then maybe at least you could say if the reasons are story related or something out of the real world.

What a fascinating theory! It's true that Great Bear can have a...darker history. Not sure about virgin-sacrificing cults, but I'm liking the potential Lovecraftian crossover potential here. Now that you mention it, Milton does share some things in common with some of the small towns in the Cthulhu stories. Hmmm... 🤔

Question from @Dan_:

In the March dev diary you've mentioned the team is hard at work on a new region for survival mode but it most likely would not be ready for the forthcoming update. Can you confirm we won't have the new region when the update drops or can I still maintain a sliver of hope it might come in this update? 

I'm already pretty happy with the prospect of a revolver, new clothing and food item BTW. Anything else would be a major plus. 

Actually, what I said in the March Dev diary was:

We’re also hard at work on a new Survival region, but that won’t be ready until (most likely) the update *after* the next one.

So, it *might* be ready for the update AFTER this upcoming one. It will definitely NOT be ready in this next upcoming update.

Sorry to disappoint!

Question from @Smellyfries:

Any new Buffs or Afflictions coming in use soon?

Yup, pretty soon!

Question from @TropicalSurvivor:

Beachcombing is a common practice among some players who collect items that appear on the shoreline of coastal regions.

My questions are:

1° - These items have a reason to be there or were it just introduced to help players who have already exhausted all nonrenewable resources?

2° - If there is a story behind these items, where did it come from? Had it come from the mainland? Or from some plane that fell into the sea because of The Flare? Or even from the ships going south described by Barbara Quincy in the buffer memory BARBARA.doc at Quonset Garage?

3° - By the way, have these ships made it to the mainland?

Re: 1 -- strangely, the items that tend to wash up are items that can run out or be difficult to find in coastline areas after long survival runs. Hmm.

Re: 2 -- nobody on Great Bear can really know, but you can assume they have washed up from shipwrecks of one kind or another. In real life, there are lots of ways for things to end up in the water, and they can travel far!

Re: 3 -- nobody on Great Bear can really know this, so I'm not telling. 😎

Questions from @alone sniper:

1- Will TLD system requirement change in the future ?

2- Do we get animation for things like starting fire , harvesting carcass in survival mode ? ( like the one in story mode when Will cut a deer carcass in crash site )

3- I remember when there was a list about upcoming things That might added to game named " Roadmap ". What happaned for it ? I searched for it and couldn't find it. 

4- Will you add more "Color"  to the environment ? Like Why all the mountain in game are dark blue ? 🤔

Thanks 🙂

Re: 1 -- we're trying to keep our PC/Mac spec as close to the original as possible but TBH it would be nice to increase it at some point. Pretty soon we'll be forced to deprecate some versions of Windows because Microsoft doesn't support them anymore.

The other questions I've answered several times so please check the Index, or maybe other people here can respond.

"Questions" from @Krait:

Don't think a revolver adds to survivability, but 'due to popular request' I understand.

Animations is a Big Thing, imagine wildlife not turning on a dime.. (AI might need a tweak where deer don't run towards you..)

Wolves listening after they hear a sound actually has an impact, it makes me hold my breath! Rabbits atm not so much :) 

Just keep it Hardcore Survival please!

Re: Revolver -- We never add anything to the game that doesn't contribute to the core mechanics in some way. Don't presume to know this game better than we do. 😊 We haven't just added it "due to popular request". It has a clear purpose and gameplay value.

Re: "keeping it hardcore" -- the game will always offer a range of challenges and experiences for different kinds of players. If you want the game to be super hardcore, play Interloper or use Custom settings to find the right challenge for you. We're not trying to make an experience that only appeals to "hardcore" survival players. It should appeal to a wide range of players, depending on their preferences, considering all the options we have provided.

Question from @GrievingSage:

I know, I keep asking. I also know y'all are EXTREMELY busy with Story and Survival mode updates. I have logged the first two episodes of the "Signal Hill Podcast", which features various post-apocalyptic or similar topics picked by Raphael and Patrick. I was hoping to see a new episode when time permits. Is there any interest in another episode? I do enjoy listening to them and would love to see more of them in the future!

Thanks for your time,

Joey.

Hey Joey. We'll record another episode as soon as we can make the time! If other people want to hear a new Signal Hill podcast, let us know in this thread!

That's all for this week. Thanks, all. And enjoy the weekend!

- Raph

• Admin pinned and featured this topic
28 minutes ago, thepatsbro said:

my question got skipped :(

We don’t answer every question each week. Checkout the Index to see if perhaps it’s been answered before and feel free to ask it again for another Mailbag if it hasn’t. 

Hey, thanks for answering my question and clearing up my foggy understanding of the last dev diary. :coffee:

A new podcast would be greatly appreciated, it's always interesting to hear long form thoughts of the hinterland peeps. If you guys ever feel like recording you've got another listener. 

I was wondering about fishing huts and water.  The possibility of getting nonpotable water from an ice fishing hole? We can already drink from the toilet why not the lake? 

Ive been playing your game for a long time. Wolves were blocky, no story for learning how to survive. Its been a long haul. 

Looking at where you were and where you are now. Milestones are plentiful.  

Thanks for your time. Beers and BBQ for a great team. 

Wow, just found out about the podcast.

More episodes would be fun!

Also, please add them to the game? Some information in the main menu, maybe a note in signal hill, or if you are feeling like adding 2 times and a mechanic, add a walkman and 2 cassettes with the podcast 🙂

On 4/5/2019 at 2:56 PM, Raphael van Lierop said:

If other people want to hear a new Signal Hill podcast, let us know in this thread! 

I think a podcast or video interview would be a great boost right now. There's a bit of a lull and nobody knows when something is coming so that puts them on edge.

I think the idea of new challenges, afflictions and boosts is intriguing.

Life at Hinterland; maybe have a few people showcase something. QA testers like zombies on coffee; coders catching naps on the furniture; cats prowling the halls; trays of discarded nachos and dip; stale pizza crust and coffee for 3am snacks! I'm kidding of course. I hope you have a nice fireplace and a calm place out in the forest to work. Kind of curious...

Hello from the Facebook community! ;-)

On 4/6/2019 at 2:26 AM, Valtycese said:

I was wondering about fishing huts and water.  The possibility of getting nonpotable water from an ice fishing hole? We can already drink from the toilet why not the lake? 

This is the wrong thread to put a question.

My take on it would be. Making water, given access to a fire, is extremely easy and, given that fact, it seems that the devs may have decided that another source of water, from ice fishing huts, was not worth the time to work out and program.  So in that sense, you can't because they said so and it is not important enough to the game to devote the resources needed to implement. Maybe once story mode is done and they can concentrate on maybe further enhancements to TLD survival. 

6 minutes ago, Nykk said:

In Germany there is a strong community supporting and enjoying your game! But we often have one big question: will there ever be a splitscreen multiplayer oder online coop function?

dear!

Hello Nykk. Allow me to very quickly answer your question since I'm sure the Hinterland will be happy they don't have to answer it for the 200th time again :) Im sure if you search a bit back, you will soon find out that there were many questions about multiplayer and coop for TLD. Hinterland said times and times again the game is meant to be single player, and given its attributes (the time-speed up when resting etc) you can see how a multiplayer or Co-op would be very problematic to code. So, while nothing is set in stone, I don't think we can hope for a multiplayer or a Co-op version of the game.

But, perhaps so I don't disappoint you entirely, at one point, the Hinterland may have been considering a co-op version of the game. May have been - we don't really know. Just that Mr. van Lierop asked on Twitter for coders with experience in Co-op games for a possible job offer. This was over a year ago and no announcements, so don't hold out much hope.

Maybe if there ever will be a sequel of the game, they might consider it. But for a game so advanced in coding that was always single-player focused, adding a coop or multiplayer is nigh impossible.

If you have more questions, dont be affraid to send me a private message and ask. I am only a forum member here, but I have been around these forums for a long while and know a thing or two :) 

Wow, a nother Long Dark fan! 😉

Thank you for the information - we feard that already. But we all know the law of supply and demand - and in Germany there would be a strong demand for the multiplayer!!!!!😀💪🏼

Guest kristaok
3 hours ago, Nykk said:

Wow, a nother Long Dark fan! 😉

Thank you for the information - we feard that already. But we all know the law of supply and demand - and in Germany there would be a strong demand for the multiplayer!!!!!😀💪🏼

There's definitely a demand for Multiplayer ALL over, but I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news for you and many others...  Hinterland said it's not happening. :/ 

Here's a quote from Hinterland; 

hinterland_community

The Long Dark was designed from the beginning to be a single-player experience and we don't have any plans to add multiplayer. It doesn't quite fit with type of experience we are trying to build and yes, the technical challenges of trying to add multiplayer to the existing game would be pretty significant.

However we do understand many people are interested in a multiplayer experience, and don't fault anyone for finding the idea compelling (it IS fun to imagine). We've seen quite a few requests for it, and it might be something we consider for a future game -- but not this one.

Source; Multiplayer / Co-op / PvP in The Long Dark

Welcome to the Forums by the way :) 

Hi! Does the The Long Dark officially support PS4 Pro in any way shape or form? Can't get a solid answer on this.

It seems easy for game like this to render at a 1440p res on the platform, but I would like to know what Hinterland thinks. 

• Admin locked, unpinned and unfeatured this topic

Archived