How not to survive

melcantspell

I really wonder how you decide when it's time to pull the curtains and end a game. 

Do you take stupid risks until you die? Or do you just start a new game without having "finished" the previous one? 

At what point do you decide that the game's been long enough? Is it a conscious decision, or are you just getting more careless over time until you take risks just for fun?

I really want to try Interloper but I can't get this Stalker game finished ... please help :)

Edit: to be honest, I was sort of bored for the last 100 days, and then suddenly that bear stalked me halfway across the map (which never ever happened before, and I was quite shocked that this is even possible). Those kinds of events make it awfully hard for me to just call it quits. Yes, it's usually quite repetitive, but then every once in a while, weird stuff happens and I have the feeling that I might miss it if I end the game. Stupid, isn't it?

Edited by melcantspell
  • Upvote 1

If I get tired of one survival game, or I'm in a tough spot and not sure what to do next, I will start a new one and then maybe one more on a different difficulty setting, and and then go back to the first one if I figure out what to do to improve my situation.   I haven't purposely ended a run  but I have gotten into sufficient trouble with low enough condition  (blizzard on TWM with bad clothes, no food or shelter) that I probably should just throw myself off a mountain or walk into a bear cave and put myself out of my misery.  But you never know -- things are bad and then suddenly they're ok.  The opposite is also true of course. I have a few saved games that will last probably about 10 minutes more if and when I go back to them.  I think everyone plays their own way -- I don't think your experience is stupid at all. 

• Upvote 1

But I hear you on the Stalker game... I'm 40 days in and still feeling pretty challenged, but I also take risks, like I just went out seeking to hunt a wolf because I needed one more pelt for the coat. I got the wolf, and was following it while it died, and then it attacked me, and died halfway through the attack. I bandaged myself up, skinned it, and went on my merry way. But I do find that the game will challenge you if you let it. I just got over having two broken ribs from a moose that attacked me, so that added some spice for sure. I'd say go take more risks if you're feeling bored. 

Play interloper and you won't need to worry about ending a run yourself 😎

I enjoy it because you are quite often on the verge of death but you can find ways to survive despite the odds. It's the truest game experience as far as I'm concerned.

The Long Dark is the enemy and the only thing we say to it is "not today"

• Upvote 2

Guest kristaok
On 4/3/2019 at 1:35 PM, Klobberthon said:

Play interloper and you won't need to worry about ending a run yourself 😎

I enjoy it because you are quite often on the verge of death but you can find ways to survive despite the odds. It's the truest game experience as far as I'm concerned.

The Long Dark is the enemy and the only thing we say to it is "not today"

I should try Interloper more, I've just always played Pilgrim or Voyager. Maybe it's time to branch out a tad. :P

5 hours ago, kristaok said:

I should try Interloper more, I've just always played Pilgrim or Voyager. Maybe it's time to branch out a tad. :P

Hope you enjoy it!  It's definately different. If you find yourself frustrated I'd recommend "training" on custom interloper with wolves turned off or at least very rare so you can learn the tricky places they hide stuff in relative peace. (Crouch and check under everything on interloper 😉)

Guest kristaok
1 minute ago, Klobberthon said:

Hope you enjoy it!  It's definately different. If you find yourself frustrated I'd recommend "training" on custom interloper with wolves turned off or at least very rare so you can learn the tricky places they hide stuff in relative peace. (Crouch and check under everything on interloper 😉)

Thanks for the tips. I just gave Interloper another shot, and yep the wolves are pretty insane! :P - So I probably should do a Custom run of it, and turn the wolves off. 

I am so happy I posted this thread. Reading your replies gave me the courage to start a new game. So this is my first week of trying Interloper. 

I have to admit, I didn't survive the first 24 hours in my first 5 tries. Some of these runs lasted minutes, haha. But in this 6th attempt things are not looking THAT bad yet. 

On day 8, I just woke up in the Camp Office with 84% condition (the best I've had since the start of the game, haha). I have a heavy hammer and an itch to go to the forge in Forlorn Muskeg. Unfortunately it's super foggy outside, so I'm probably better off reading books until the weather gets better. But I do have to go, since I'm running low on food (despite killing 2 rabbits, harvesting a deer and lots of cattails yesterday at the Unnamed Pond ... I'm dreaming of big stacks of bear steaks, but I guess it will be months before I can even think of stuff like this, and I would have managed to pull it off in Stalker in the first week ...)

Oh well, let's stop the rambling here. I love Interloper. Should have tried it a lot sooner. It feels like the first time when I played this game.