Milton Mailbag -- Dispatch #27

Raphael van Lierop

• Hinterland

382038768_27-social.thumb.png.ab9b0c9e6d6a3d7034ed54b3d5151c93.png

Hey community,

I missed out on Mailbag last week due to being at the Game Developers Conference in SF. Back this week and getting caught up! Lots going on at Hinterland HQ -- the place is buzzing with activity. Hope you had a great week.

Anyone see anything cool coming out of GDC this year? Any game, studio, or tech announcements you find particularly interesting?

On to your questions!

Question from @Maple_Syrup32:

Since the story came out, a part of it that I really enjoyed was the "conspiracy theory" element of it. For example the supposed presence of the canadian armed forces on the island or the apparently "illegal" presence of the logging company. I'm really keen on seeing how it will all unfold in the future. My question would be: What made you (the team at Hinterland) choose to include this subject into the game and why? ;)

Thanks for the question. Did we suggest a military presence on Great Bear? :) 

Regarding the activities of Breyerhouse (the company whose trucks and equipment you see in Mystery Lake and area) -- their presence speaks to the overall history of Great Bear and how it's been used as a kind of resource sink for more populated areas, despite the Island's population being largely abandoned otherwise. I guess there's meant to be some social commentary tucked away in there somewhere.

Question from @Smellyfries:

What item gave you the most trouble to add? (Not counting Bear Spear, or anything still in development. Anything that is currently in the main game)

Apart from the Bear Spear -- the thing we've probably spent the most time maintaining is that damned Faithful Cartographer achievement!!! Much to all your chagrin, I'm sure. We have spent so much time testing and fixing that based on community feedback.

Question from @DirtyMadcap:

Anything you can share regarding the movie development?

It's still proceeding, albeit it very slowly. Mostly, people are waiting on me. It's nice to know people are still curious about it though!

Question from @Cairngormless:

You've said Episode 3 will now only use Pleasant Valley rather than three regions.  I'm fine with that, but does this mean that there will now be some regions that do not form part of Wintermute?

Before this game is done, there will very likely be regions that feature in Survival Mode but not WINTERMUTE.

Question from @Lesno:

With the rework of bow and rifle aim, will you be adding a new sound for the bow. It’s about the only sound in the game that sounds off to me.

Can you be more specific?

Comment from @Smellyfries:

I love the new update to your website! Haven't explored completely all the new parts. (Is it just for looks and to run smoother?)

Thanks! We discovered that our custom theme wasn't compatible with a recent security update, so we decided just to pull the custom theme out and go with something less bespoke. In the end, this will be more usable and will allow us to maintain the forums a bit more easily. We created new icons and whatnot to ensure it still has a nice cohesive look. We aren't able to maintain the old "landing page" that had links to a variety of other content, but we're planning overhauls of all our sites this year so we'll try to create a better community landing hub at that point.

Question from @Foxo:

Have you ever thought about introducing a new feature of the Aurora where electricity opens up a “secret” or “closed” area? Such as a lift in a mine that can be used to go into a new area that only works during the Aurora? 

Oh yes. :) Have you played Episode Two? 

If you mean in Survival -- the answer is also Yes. I have a pretty big design around the Aurora, which is only about 1/3 implemented so far.

Question from @jrhr:

What's the feature, storyline element, or just overall change of the game  that you're most excited for in the coming year?

I'm very happy with Episode Three. i think it builds well on our previous two episodes but also introduces a lot of fresh stuff, and seeing the world from Astrid's point of view is really interesting. Beyond that, we have some stuff in the next Survival Mode update *after* this one (so, two updates from now) that should be quite cool. 😎

Question from @Smellyfries:

Back before the redux, in chapter 2 of Wintermute, after you complete Jeremiah's survival school, he gave you an awesome knife; but i don't remember you getting it in the redux. Did you remove it because of technical reasons, or did you just feel like it didn't need to exist anymore? Just wondering

In Predux Episode Two we needed to ensure you had a knife so you could "cut" your hand in the cinematic, drawing blood that would bring the Old Bear to you.

In Redux Episode Two, we found other ways to crash the bear into you, so we didn't need the knife. It was always a bit of an awkward moment in Predux anyway. The "special" knife is still around and could make a cameo elsewhere...

Question from @hoasd1:

are there any planned animations overhaul to be well animated game like RE7?

I don't know about "like RE7" but yes we're improving a variety of animations in the game.

Question from @NinjaKid225:

With the semi new addition of the Moose Skin Jacket are we ever gonna see something more with craftable clothing like Coon caps or something you can put in the accessories?

Yup. Probably not a coonskin cap since we don't have Racoons in the game, but there will be more craftable clothing.

Question from @thepatsbro:

will tld ever get xbox one x enhanced?

Yup, and PS4 Pro enhanced as well. We have most of it done, but have run into some issues with HDR which we'd like to fix before rolling out the enhancements.

Question from @Azdrawee:

At the beggining of episode 1, Will drags out the broken shard from his hand. Then there's the section with memories. After this section ends, he drags the shard out again. Why is this happening? Is this a bug or did I understand this incorrectly?

Just reminds you that the previous section was a flashback, and now you are back in the ravine, just having crashed. This is a pretty common narrative/cinematic technique. :) 

That's all the Mailbag I have time for today. Hopefully you enjoy the responses, and many thanks for the questions. Enjoy your weekends! And as always, if you like the Mailbag, make sure you "Like" the Mailbag.

- Raph

• Admin pinned and featured this topic
Guest hoasd1
On 3/30/2019 at 12:43 AM, Raphael van Lierop said:

I don't know about "like RE7" but yes we're improving a variety of animations in the game. 

thanks for answer this,now i know TLD animations would be changed to better.

On 3/29/2019 at 7:43 PM, Raphael van Lierop said:

Yup. Probably not a coonskin cap since we don't have Racoons in the game, but there will be more craftable clothing.

Fantastic news, I thought we were done after the rabbit cap, I'm glad I was wrong!

On 3/29/2019 at 4:43 PM, Raphael van Lierop said:

I'm very happy with Episode Three. i think it builds well on our previous two episodes but also introduces a lot of fresh stuff, and seeing the world from Astrid's point of view is really interesting. Beyond that, we have some stuff in the next Survival Mode update *after* this one (so, two updates from now) that should be quite cool. 😎

Use of present tense suggests it's nearly ready to launch?

21 hours ago, Pillock said:

Use of present tense suggests it's nearly ready to launch?

At the very least it means they're far enough along to confidently know how each new feature in the update will affect the current game. From a developer standpoint, they'd want to know that as early as possible so that they don't waste time or money developing something later found to not be part of the team's vision. The revolver may not even be animated yet. 

Haha, we could hope though. :3 

Guest hoasd1

''like RE7'' meant ''like Resident evil 7''a horror survival game that have well animated characters,combat,opening,movement and death.

• Admin unpinned, unfeatured and locked this topic

Archived