Erm, so how do I sharpen stuff...

boy_scout_kevin

You can't, but running out of whetstones should be difficult. On stalker or easier levels you'll have quite a few of them and so many knives and hatchets that running out of good blades AND whetstones is unlikely, unless you obsessively use your tools to destroy everything. Remember you can tear apart curtains and cardboard boxes with your hands. On interloper it probably is the last of your issues.

• Upvote 1

I have had a few games where there wasn't a single whetstone in the region I was in.  Went to a different region and bam! bunches of whetstones.  As an aside (and only mentioned because I did this) don't scrap your weapons.  Just use them until they break.  You can also scatter spares about so you don't have to lug heavy weapons (like the rifle) around.  Leave the spare rifle in your favorite hunting base.  And one in your home base.  

Down near the edge of the ocean in Coastal Highway past the bridge in the lower left corner of the map (southeast of the fishing camp cabins) there is a large boulder right on the shore.  You'll know it when you see it.  It is large with a smooth concave top formed from locals and natives sharpening their tools on it for hundreds of years.  It works great!  remember to bring all your tools that need sharpening next time you venture that way.  *

* from a dream I had after eating too many moose steaks.

-G

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

On 3/25/2019 at 1:14 PM, boy_scout_kevin said:

...when I run out of whetstones? Just curious.

you don't....   

with that in mind, if you got the time and the inclination, hit up your nearest forge and make as many axes and knives that you can.  I like to start a new run by spawning into Desolation Point and just harvesting all the resources from the fish processing plant and mass producing knives and axes.  the caves drop coal on a regular basis and the wooded area around the stone church replenishes wood practically daily.  Since you practically always find the hammer and the hacksaw you can collect enough stuff to produce a knife and axe within the first day of your run.