Marking searched houses

Landmonster

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but it would be handy to be able to use the charcoal to mark the doors of houses that you've already searched.  If there was an option to interact with the door or wall next to the door and put up something simple like:

F

C

+

M

W

G

F = Food, C = Cloth, + = Meds, M = Metal, W = Wood, G = Gear

As you search the house and leave, as long as you've got charcoal in your inventory you can interact with that sign and strike out any items that you've cleaned out in that building.  I find that I only take what I need as I move around an area and the majority of houses still have items in them after I've left.  It would be great, especially in places with lots of building to be able to see what's still inside as I'm walking by. 

The categories are just what I could think of off the top of my head, let me know if you would use something different and if you think that would be useful.

• Upvote 2

Nice idea, I used to drop a tinder bundle in front of each door to mark looted (portable items and curtains) houses. I admit I never kept track of wood and metal (I assume you mean reclaimed wood from destroyed furniture and scrap metal from appliances, shelves and such).

To tell the truth, I sometimes thought about marking trees to use them as road signs.

On 3/26/2019 at 1:24 AM, MarrowStone said:

Drop a stick for food, charcoal for medicine, tinder for gear, and theres so much metal, cloth, and reclaimed wood everywhere that you really shouldn't worry much about that. 

You can also quickly jot down notes in your journal for stash locations etc.

That's a good idea, I think I'm going to start doing that.

• Like 1

Or use the in-game journal for a quick entry in the shorthand of your devise.

E.g.; D21: PV: HS - F (2DF, 1Sar, 3Crck) / 3L Wat / Sti / RecWd

Day 21. Pleasant Valley Homestead: Food (2xDog Food, 1xSardines, 3xCrackers), 3 liters of water, sticks, reclaimed wood.

I think the journal is one of the most important yet underused features of the long-term game.

Edited by Carbon
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...