Survival while being hunting

Arch

Hey, I need some tips. How do I survive when animals hunt me? I’m currently playing a custom mode where, animals can hunt me. It’s my first time playing a mode like this, so I need to know how to survive.

9 hours ago, Doc Feral said:

Seriously: why didn't you play Wintermute? It's a good way to learn the basics and you can save and reload the game, allowing multiple attempts for the same situation.

Different playstyle preferenced, Id vager. I would not play Wintermute to learn either, Id love to learn the outs and goings through trial and error like OP, if I was new to the game. Kinda takes away the experience if you learn everything from the comforts of the gamemode, where saving is an option.

Here are some of my tips:

A) - use decoys. Smelly items like meat and guts attract predators, but you can also drop them, move out of the way from the stalking animal, and have that animal go for it instead. It is good to carry a small peace of rancid meat in your inventory for this purpose. You can click number 3 on the keyboard top row as a quick-access button that drops your most effective decoy automatically. Later, you can also use decoys to lure wolves exactly where you want them, in order to hunt them.

Whenever the animal is pursuing you, click the button 3 a lot of times to drop all your "smelly" items. If you dont, it is unlikely that you will ever escape the animal - because even if you get far enough from it, it will start tracking you by smell and follow you anyways. 

B) If it is wolves that are following you, you can lit a torch or even start a campfire. If you start a campfire, the wolves will not get close to it. One way to avoid wolves is to have them follow you into a narrow area (like a tunnel), start a campfire and then continue on, since the wolves would not be able to walk around the campfire like you can. Be careful - bears are not scared of fire.

C) Do not get spotted in the first place. Try to move around with stealth, crouching and avoiding detection. Collect a few stones - and if you need to sneak past wolves, you can throw the stone away. Wolves will go investigate the noise, and you can sneak past them. The art to survival is in having as little of animal encounters as possible. If you are vigilant for movement, you can see predators from afar most of the times, then you can crouch and avoid them, even if slowly, just to avoid an encounter.

Archived