Inner and outer clothing layers info

Jigsawn

I've played the Long Dark for a long (sorry) time. But today I was watching a Youtuber playthrough where he was deliberately swapping clothing between inner and outer layers.

Problem is, and it may seem obvious to veterans, but I had no idea that inner and outer layers were a thing. Sure, I see on the character model on the clothing screen that some items of clothing appear "on top", but I didn't know it had any in-game effect. 

If there is a gameplay implication to wearing clothing as an inner or outer layer, the game needs to tell you this. The clothing slots are not even labelled as inner or outer layer, at least if it is it was never obvious enough to me.

If there is a difference in gameplay as to which layer you wear on top I'd like to see the clothing slots clearly labelled Outer and Inner layers, and an in-game description of what that means. Presumably if it's a thing then you'd want your most wind/waterproof layers on the outside layer.

I think its a nice feature if it exists, I just think a lot of players overlook it - I'm playing on Stalker survival mode and I'm wondering how many times I may have had my best jackets and leggings as under layers instead of outer layers!

"Inner"/"Outer" layers appear in the clothing grid menu when opening your clothing dashboard. I agree its not immediately obvious but, regarding how much information is shared to the player, we must remember an original mantra for survival is "no hand holding".  This creates opportunities for the player to create and discover new things even when you've become and long time experienced player. I know I've experienced a lot of "duh" moments along the way and while I empathize it can feel frustrating, at the same time, its eye opening and can change survival strategy.

"Tutorial" information has increased since early access, when almost no information was provided, such as during the splash load screen and especially so in Wintermute. This makes sense to help a player experience the story Raph and team want to share but when it comes to Survival, I prefer a lack of information allowing me the opportunity to discover thing on my own; albeit frustrating at times. 

Good Luck and happy surviving!

In addition to the "no hand holding" mantra, the effects of swapping between inner and outer layers are somewhat dependent on what is in the adjacent slot, along with the relative condition of that item.  That's why you'll see even experienced players swapping things around and even repairing items just to see what the effects actually are.  I'm now sure how they would "account" for all those variables without over-cluttering the screen.

22 minutes ago, Bano said:

"Inner"/"Outer" layers appear in the clothing grid menu when opening your clothing dashboard. I agree its not immediately obvious but, regarding how much information is shared to the player, we must remember an original mantra for survival is "no hand holding".  This creates opportunities for the player to create and discover new things even when you've become and long time experienced player. I know I've experienced a lot of "duh" moments along the way and while I empathize it can feel frustrating, at the same time, its eye opening and can change survival strategy.

"Tutorial" information has increased since early access, when almost no information was provided, such as during the splash load screen and especially so in Wintermute. This makes sense to help a player experience the story Raph and team want to share but when it comes to Survival, I prefer a lack of information allowing me the opportunity to discover thing on my own; albeit frustrating at times. 

Good Luck and happy surviving!

It remember me my face when I realized that I can just sleep in a car, after over a year of playing. Or just to find a new "hidden" place. Call me old fashion but that's why I don't like to read wiki or any tutorial on this game. I like to think about it and try/explore to find new tricks/things.

@Malkbeth "....I don't like to read wiki or any tutorial..."  

totally agree. I know a lot of people use tables and charts to know how much things weigh, times, etc...but to me that takes away from exploration and discovery. Not meant as a slam on those who do use, I just prefer to remain "in the dark" and discover things on my own.  

I agree to an extent that's part of the fun is discovering the depths for yourself. I had another look last night and I spottedthe inner layer text at the bottom, but it's confusing because items in the same "row" don't all have an inner layer label. This is what I'd seen the Youtuber doing, trying out different hat swaps, jacket swaps and so on. It feels inconsistent and as clothing is so core to your actual survival, I'd like it to be a little more specific just so you know in what order weather is hitting each bit of clothing.

I found out last night that caves count as "inside" for curing hides and guts, which is cool. This is the sort of thing that I think shouldn't necessarily be spelt out to the player.

Archived