Preppers cache, sorry if already been covered thousands of time

Grunt

Hello all... 

Sorry cant find the topic anymore... 

I m Looking for a cache, Just to see one, one Day.... I have been Looking on the spots on cheating maps with all details, but.... 

1 i saw them. With out recognize them ? 

2i know they should spawn only once when you szart game, but is it one per map, or one per game, from all the possible location ? 

100days wandering, no luck on this hunt... 

Thanks. 

And Maybe one Day ill bump into one of you in a coop mod... 

Hey Grunt,

don't worry, it is quite hard to find them.

So, for starters, there are TWO bunkers per save game, except in Interloper difficulty. One of them can be found in Mystery Lake and one in Pleasant Valley. They both spawn in one of nine locations (so nine possibilities you have to check in each of the two regions).

I don't think it would be possible to see them and not recognize them if you get close enough: it is a BIG rusty-brownish square metal hatch with a wheel on top. Maybe if you were far away it would blend with the background, but usually they are somewhere high up or directly in front of a snow-covered hill, so there is contrast in the colours. For reference look at the bunker in Pleasant Valley where you have to do the rope climb up to Timberwolf Mountain, they are exactly the same.

If you feel like giving up, maybe try youtube. There are a number of videos showing all or one of the locations. I would recommend hunting for yourself though, it makes it even more triumphant when you finally find one. ^^

Good luck hunting!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sceh said:

So, for starters, there are TWO bunkers per save game, except in Interloper difficulty. One of them can be found in Mystery Lake and one in Pleasant Valley. They both spawn in one of nine locations (so nine possibilities you have to check in each of the two regions).

There is a third, in a fixed locatiom, near the rope to Timberwolf Mountain

18 hours ago, Grunt said:

Thanks for the answer, found one in pleasent valley, near three strike farm, a food cache, with nearly all un eatable.... 

But now, i know. 

Once you get lvl 5 cooking, it magically becomes edible, so keep track of it.

• Upvote 1

You are welcome! I hope you got to feel amazing when you finally found it.

1 hour ago, hozz1235 said:

Once you get lvl 5 cooking, it magically becomes edible, so keep track of it.

Great point! Keep this in mind for longer runs. I tend to forget it, shove the "ruined" food in a drawer somewhere and then of course it disappears ... so many calories wasted.

To get your cooking skill up faster, try to cook every item of food possible before eating it, and be very diligent with making teas. Harvest meat in small pieces so you get more out of it as well (assuming every instance of cooking counts vs. the weight of the item or some other system).

11 minutes ago, Sceh said:

Harvest meat in small pieces so you get more out of it as well (assuming every instance of cooking counts vs. the weight of the item or some other system).

It does. By the way, if you want to eat wolf make big pieces, if you want to cook it for practice make mincemeat. Risk of parasites is the opposite, it's based on the number of pieces, not weight.

• Upvote 1

It's sneakily hidden behind a fallen tree, behind the little outhouse near the bottom of the rope. I found it whilst I was desperately searching for supplies around there, I only saw the top of the hatch and thought it was just a bit of wood. I went around to check just in case because of my desperation, and lo and behold a bunker awaited me, it was my saviour!

Update: I found a prepper cache in Pleasant Valley by the burnridge cave.

But now I'm sad, it is a food cache which has ridiculous amounts of food. Enough to last me for weeks. So now I feel like I shouldn't use it because it will make the game way too easy! Now I'm umhing and ahhing about whether I should just pretend I never found it and let all that food rot away, I was enjoying the challenge up until now!

On 3/13/2019 at 10:26 AM, peteloud said:

Good heavens !   

I have been in that area and climbed that rope many times and have never seen this cache.

It is labeled Abandoned Prepper Cache. It is always there. It is slightly upslope and around a LARGE fallen tree from the half-destroyed house which has a stove.  There is no rope climbing needed to get to it.

I always have that derelict house well stocked with food, water, fuel and everything else, so I don't have a reason to search around near to the house.  I shall have to see if I have a game which is currently nearby so I can go and check.  

Does it deteriorate then disappear after a long  time?  Most of my games have been running for hundreds of days so if it deteriorates it might no longer be there.   I shall explore.

Edited by peteloud

I dashed over from ML Camp Office and sure enough the the Prepper's Bunker was there.  It's very easy to see if anyone bothered to check behind the tree.  I have stayed in the derelict house countless times without ever looking there.  I didn't find much of use but it could be invaluable in some situations.

The current game is at 547 days so clearly bunkers don't deteriorate and disappear.  My journey from the camp office to the bunker was the easiest I can remember.  I wasn't attacked by a wolf once. Although I was saved from one wolf by a rabbit being between the wolf and me. Normally I play at Voyager, Stalker or between the two, I wonder whether I was lucky or if this was a very early custom game which I made easy.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/15/2019 at 6:11 AM, peteloud said:

I dashed over from ML Camp Office and sure enough the the Prepper's Bunker was there.  It's very easy to see if anyone bothered to check behind the tree.  I have stayed in the derelict house countless times without ever looking there.  I didn't find much of use but it could be invaluable in some situations.

The current game is at 547 days so clearly bunkers don't deteriorate and disappear.  My journey from the camp office to the bunker was the easiest I can remember.  I wasn't attacked by a wolf once. Although I was saved from one wolf by a rabbit being between the wolf and me. Normally I play at Voyager, Stalker or between the two, I wonder whether I was lucky or if this was a very early custom game which I made easy.  

The camp office at mystery lake, right

there are a few good maps online that show the common spawn points of each bunker location in both ML and PV.  Using those as a guide you can very easily and systematically sweep those regions until you find one or both.   In ML for example the weapons bunker and the medical bunker always and only spawns in the same location, weapons on the ridge over the tracks across from Camp Office and the medical bunker at the top of the rope climb on the Western Access side of the lake.  

check out my post regarding weapons and medical bunkers :

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Jonkong1979 said:

I looked all around the mystery lake rangers cabin and not once have i found it. I had made 5 different saves and still, it is not showing up. What. The. Heck. Why is it not showing up?????!!?!?

The cache can spawn in one of (I believe) 9 different locations around ML.  You need to check all possible spawn points.

13 hours ago, Jonkong1979 said:

I looked all around the mystery lake rangers cabin and not once have i found it. I had made 5 different saves and still, it is not showing up. What. The. Heck. Why is it not showing up?????!!?!?

There's always some kinda bunker that spawns on mystery lake map.  That's a given.  If your trying to find a specific bunker,  only the hunter's prep bunker and the medical bunker spawn in the same location always, if and when they do spawn.  I once launched 54 separate new games before I ever found the hunter prep bunker on Mystery lake.  Some good loot maps of the area on Google images and there's also some good maps on the Steam community forums.   

piddy3825,

". . .  Some good loot maps of the area on Google images and there's also some good maps on the Steam community forums."

When I first came across the maps by Whiteberry I thought that they were fantastic. They made so many tasks simple.  I soon realised that they spoiled the game.  The most exciting and Adrenalin-raising days were when you first start playing and know nothing about the territory.   In those days I would often be cold and hungry, out in a mist having no idea where I could shelter for the night.  The Adrenalin was racing through my veins, (or whatever it does), it was scary.  When you have the maps, or lots of experience in the game that excitement rarely arises.  You know where there is a house or cave with a stock of food and wood.  The excitement and challenge are greatly reduced.

Edited by peteloud
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, peteloud said:

piddy3825,

". . .  Some good loot maps of the area on Google images and there's also some good maps on the Steam community forums."

When I first came across the maps by Whiteberry I thought that they were fantastic. They made so many tasks simple.  I soon realised that they spoiled the game.  The most exciting and Adrenalin-raising days were when you first start playing and know nothing about the territory.   In those days I would often be cold and hungry, out in a mist having no idea where I could shelter for the night.  The Adrenalin was racing through my veins, (or whatever it does), it was scary.  When you have the maps, or lots of experience in the game that excitement rarely arises.  You know where there is a house or cave with a stock of food and wood.  The excitement and challenge are greatly reduced.

I see your point and I do believe I understand where you're coming from.  On the one hand, there are no in-game maps to be found, so using a map (metagaming) does break immersion in that sense.  But then again, if you're carrying any charcoal you can make your own in-game map you're only doing it after you have entered and explored the area.   I primarily use maps only for ML and PV just so I can have a general idea as to where there might be a possible bunker spawn.  Your point about excitement that rarely rises, yeah, i get that too.  with over 600 hours played I totally understand what you mean.