Just Can’t Kill The Bear

Dougie

On 3/10/2019 at 9:59 AM, UpUpAway95 said:

There are two different difficulty settings for Wintermute.  I don't know if you can change the difficulty midstream or if you're already on the easiest one, but perhaps it is an alternative worth exploring before giving up entirely on the story.

Actually 3 settings-

Green (Easy)

Capable (Medium)

Hardened (Highest difficulty)

And unlike Survival Mode Pilgrim-Voyageur-Stalker-Interloper vanilla modes, which are custom crafted settings for a different experience, rather than just a difficulty setting, the modes in Wintermute do seem to be more linear, direct difficulty steps. I have played all 3, and the experience is the same, just more challenge as you go up the modes. And yes, if you have bad reflexes like me, the bear is a bit of a PITA,m on PC or on XBone, I got mauled a ton, until I finally got the timing right, on XBone with a controller. Been a while, I need to go back and finish Ep 2 on Steam, or replay it if I forgot where I was at when I left off.

Just tried it with the stim injection and failed. There’ an awful timing thing with xbox control or just me....no more Wintermute unless the boss fight is doable for this old Dougie....back to life in Survival.....😌

12 hours ago, Dougie said:

Just tried it with the stim injection and failed. There’ an awful timing thing with xbox control or just me....no more Wintermute unless the boss fight is doable for this old Dougie....back to life in Survival.....😌

Did you use the stim before going for the spear or after? Just asking, because using it before exiting the hole may be enough.

Before...I waited what felt like an eternity for the bear to approach while the stim was working, then as it got near, I propped the spear, but maybe not at the right time, and got mauled.  Might be the xbox controller or me, but the exercise sucks.  I had no problem shooting the bear in pre redux after getting mauled a few times, but this “boss fight” does not seem to be a fair fight. 

Sorry to hear that is stopping you from progressing in WM - must be incredibly frustrating (would be for me).

Have you considered posting some of your footage while attempting it?  Perhaps if we saw what you were doing, we could provide more relevant feedback.

• Hinterland
On 3/9/2019 at 1:41 PM, Dougie said:

After countless times trying, I just can’t get it done in time, so, Wintermute is done for me.  I’m stuck there, so I’ll just stick with Survival.

Sorry to hear this was a frustrating experience for you. We just released a new update to Survival Mode, but buried within it are two things that might help. 1) We've added an Accessible Struggle option, which gives you the choice to use a "Hold to Win" for Struggles (vs. button-mashing), and 2) we've cleaned up some of the Bear Spear gameplay and tweaked the Bear Cave section to make it a bit less frustrating. Maybe you can give this part of Episode Two a try, post-update, to see if it's better for you? Let me know. (Your existing save should work.)

Edited by Raphael van Lierop
Added a note about the save.
  • Like 1

On 5/6/2019 at 4:55 PM, Raphael van Lierop said:

Sorry to hear this was a frustrating experience for you. We just released a new update to Survival Mode, but buried within it are two things that might help. 1) We've added an Accessible Struggle option, which gives you the choice to use a "Hold to Win" for Struggles (vs. button-mashing), and 2) we've cleaned up some of the Bear Spear gameplay and tweaked the Bear Cave section to make it a bit less frustrating. Maybe you can give this part of Episode Two a try, post-update, to see if it's better for you? Let me know. (Your existing save should work.)

Thanks Raph...I’ve really enjoyed this game for 3 years and the fact you are all fellow Vancouver Islanders make it better. I must say this bear fight has been right up there with Mad Max.  I’ll give it a go in a few days when I’m free and have got the update...cheers!

• 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, Dougie said:

Xbox One.....I know..... “the rig is better”..😀

I didn't intend to imply anything like that... I was just debating with myself about discussing ways to improve frame rate, but my experience is only with the PC version.  I couldn't speak to the nuances of how the console versions were set up. 

Edited by ManicManiac

33 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

I didn't intend to imply anything like that... I was just debating with myself about discussing ways to improve frame rate, but my experience is only with the PC version.  I couldn't speak to the nuances of how the console versions were set up. 

👍 .....I was kidding with ya, because I have friends continually razzing me on having a console...I like my platform...

• 2 weeks later...

Oh wow, the nasty factor in the Muskeg really ramps up once you've got the spear and return there on the next quest.  ☠️  It's probably best that I died in my first couple bear fights, since the last one I didn't get any injuries or clothing damage.  🧙‍♂️

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I had multiple issues around killing the bear:

1. Getting close enough to the spear to grab it - I found that when I started from the upper entryway platform in the final cave, I could simply walk across the cave wall to the right, and "mountain goat" all the way around to the room with the spear in it. All I had to do was start high enough on the wall to be able to pass the crack in the rocks in between the two rooms.

When I got to those rocks, I would use a stim, jump down, run and grab the spear, then run to the nearest secure hiding spot to the right of the spear. Then I would wait for the bear to get in a position that was far enough away that I had time to set up the spear before getting mauled.

2. Once I speared the bear, my "fight meter" wouldn't fill properly, even after dozens of tries. I eventually realized that my graphics settings were so high that my laptop wasn't registering the clicks from my controller in time to fill the meter. Turning down the graphics was the only thing that worked, and I was able to kill the bear once I speared it 3 times in a row.

@devamadhu, I'm glad you got things working. 

From what I've seen in these forums folks with lower frame rates do tend to have a problem with struggles.  It was the same for me, I'd be clicking the mouse... but for whatever reason my clicks weren't registering because my frame rate was really low (something like 23 fps at the time).  Once my frame rate was at a respectable level, struggles where not an issue anymore.

I mentioned this in a few other threads:

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 11:55 PM, ManicManiac said:

I can't offer much advice for console players... but for PC, I can say that if you have a situation where you have low frame rate I can confirm that it makes the struggle mechanics very very difficult - to the point of being a losing proposition every time.

If this sound familiar (and you are a PC player), then frame rate might be a contributing factor for you.  You can try tuning the graphic settings down a bit, it may not look as nice but if you can get your frame rate above 60-70 FPS things should work a lot better.  I had two different games behave like this... on my old laptop my hardware was easily 5 years old, and my frame rate on those two games was something like 23-32 FPS.  Turned out that with the frame rate so low, the game was basically "missing clicks" (meaning as I was tapping not all of my taps were being registered by the game).  Once I got some new hardware and improved my frame rate, suddenly click-struggles weren't a problem anymore and things were much more responsive.

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 6:49 AM, ManicManiac said:

Well for me, I used an option in steam to display my frame rate (it's very small) in the upper right hand corner of the screen.
As far as increasing it... you can try to tweak your graphics settings a little lower, you can get better performance that way at the cost of some visual quality.  In my case the issue was I had very old hardware... so I got some newer hardware with more capacity (RAM, better graphics card, ext...)

I went from an awful 23 FPS to about 75 FPS... which by most gamers' standards is still low, but it works for me.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1