Just Can’t Kill The Bear

Dougie

21 minutes ago, BareSkin said:

I can't remember any countdown...

I think he's referring to an inability to max-out the meter via clicking when attacked.

Suggestion: maybe temporarily remap the Action key to something on the keyboard that you can use two hands to whack at it quicker.

1 minute ago, Dougie said:

There is no countdown, but EVERYTIME I reach down to pick up the spear he’s mauling me...after 20 times, I’m done....

Oh yeah, grabbing the spear is actually the hardest part. I used a lot of patience, analyzing the bear trajectory. Went to the end of the map (the other side compared to where you come from), since the hiding place is really near the Spear. When he's on his "far way and not looking at you" path, I advanced crouched (iirc you can even brake line of sight), then climbed crouch, grabbed and run back to safety.

Every time I tried to get this Spear from any other hiding place, I failed.

Everywhere I was, he was very near, even after laying low for 4 minutes. When I made a move, the AI knew where I was and mauled me as I reached for the spear.   There’s a bit of a game killer here....a “boss fight” that’s not a fair one.  I liked the original  fight better.

Edited by Dougie
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, that sounds tough.  I didn't have any issue as described -- first time I reached for the spear, I guess I was in a good position (as was the bear).  I did take it from the hiding spot near the spear, having run then when he was on his distal trajectory. 

I hated so much the repetitive sneaking and hiding that when I finally laid my bloodthirsty hands on the spear I roared "Blood for the blood god! Skulls for the throne of Khorne!" and impaled the bugger. Seriously, I had no trouble bashing the mouse button, but I'm a fast clicker.

Right beside the spear there's a convenient corner you can occupy to seriously limit the bear's options, I stood there. When you're in a hole the bear walks around, you can usually see when it's far away. If I remember correctly there's even a leaning tree near the spear, I didn't try but maybe it's possible to run on it to hide once more.

Once I saw where the spear was I found a small cave, open at both ends, just beyond the spear.  I had to wait quite a while I worked out where the bear walked. After a while a saw that when he went off in a particular direction I had enough time to dash out, grab the spear and get back to my little shelter.  I had to rush, but it wasn't a desperate rush.

My big problem was that I didn't realise that I lost energy when holding out the spear.  Once I realised that, killing the bear was straight forward.

Edited by peteloud

Iam not sure if this a issue but it was an issue for me I had to figure out. How long you hold the spear steady is tied to your stamina. So if you ran to the spear you might not be able to hold it steady long enough before the bear attacks. I also cheesed it by luring him to the hiding spot closest to the spear and then ducking in the hiding spot making him flee. Then walked not ran to the spear.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest kristaok

Don't give up! I had a pretty rough time surviving to defeat him too! - What I did is I just ran for the spear, and then when he stood up to prepare to charge that is when I raised the spear to kill him. It's all about timing really, it's frustrating, but once it's over - it's over.

I don't know if they hate Xbox and it isn't precise enough to finish this stupid quest, but after an hour and a half the most I could fight him off is twice.  However, being forced to watch yourself die horribly over and over is a bit upsetting. I can understand taking away our saves, but you should be able to stop the horrible cut scenes. I guess I'm done with wintermute for now. I'll just have to hope they fix this or change it enough to start over, which is a shame.

30 fps might prove too difficult, even on a pretty good PC locked at 60 (not Vsync but via RTSS Gsync) it's not easy, hope Hinterland come up with a solution.. even a QTE might work.. (not a fan of QTE, but eh..)

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen people had this issue before. I see no point why you should. The only reason I can see in having this problem is your character, being too tired. Since you basically dont have any gear beside your clothes as far as I remember... 

But, there are Emergency stims everywhere in there. And THAT is how you can beat the bear. Pop a stim, not to heal up but to max out your fatigue temporarily. Grab the spear, let yourself get charged 3 times, and you are done.

The "bear spear" use is basically nothing different than a Wolf struggle. And in Wolf struggles, the chief attribute that decides if you can or cannot fill up the meter is your character´s fatigue. After that its a matter of clicking the button quicky & periodically.

If your Stim-fatigue runs out, pop another stim. I know there are at least two in the final cave on medium difficulty.

I have only died 2 times before I figured this out. By the end during the final encounter my Will was already somewhat exhausted, so I did pop the stim for Fatigue, and then it was fairly easy from there.

Edited by Mroz4k

I haven’t stepped back into Wintermute since I posted my original rant. I’ve just been sticking with Survival.... BUT, MrOz, your “stim reasoning” does make sense.  I’ll give it a go, but if I still get mauled after 3 tries this time 😀, I’ll wait for Hinterland to decaffeinate the boss fight somewhat, or just watch how Wintermute plays out on YouTube.

I have a feeling it is actually made in a way that you don't really have much of a choice than to use the stim at least once, because the "sneaking" through the cave part is a pretty long one, and you do lose quite a bit of Fatigue, moving through, waiting, then sprinting into the little crevasses to avoid the bear. Kind of hard to make it into the final chamber without losing at least half the fatigue from a full bar. So the stim can be your shot to even out the odds :)