Admin

Dev Diary - March 2019

17 hours ago, earthy said:

You're right, I should have read that. That would have saved me some grief in the short term, but it still wouldn't change where we are now. If I had seen that and still purchased the game, I would be in the same scenario I am now, waiting endlessly for an episode that keeps being delayed. The best analogy I can give you is imagine you order a 5 course meal for your wedding. An hour into the reception, the first 2 courses of appetizers are brought out. While you found them tolerable, some people thought they were too salty. Instead of writing it off and moving on to the entree's, the cooks decide they want to redeem themselves, and so they announce that they will be remaking appetizers for everyone. In the meantime, they update the salad bar a few times. After 2 more hours, they bring out new appetizers for everyone. They're better than before to be sure, but it's now 3 hours into the reception, and no one wants to wait around any longer for their entree's or desert. You could argue "the cook's never guaranteed a delivery time for each meal. it's their choice to take their time and put out a product they're proud of", which might technically be true, but the guests still feel cheated at this point. They've paid for a 5 course meal, and after waiting for a more than reasonable amount of time they've only been served appetizers, Redux appetizers, and some salad bar updates that they didn't even care about.

I'll just leave the analogy on the plate. ;)

Look, feel how you want to feel. Nobody can change your mind, especially when you insist on and would likely continue to move the goalposts. It's true that the episodes take a long time to come, there's no arguing about that. However, there is no reason to keep beating that drum or tell people they are silly for being both willing to wait and satisfied with the game (especially when they tell you they don't care much for story mode anyhow). You've made yourself clear, so what else can a user forum do for you?

Can you find no pleasure in the survival mode at all? There are some excellent challenges from the community that are every bit as compelling as story mode and far more difficult, if that's what you enjoy. "Deadman" challenge is particularly interesting, so maybe you could look into that.

Anyhow, I'm not interested in further making this forum a battleground and neither are the mods, so we should both reel it in while we can. For what it's worth, my mistake in thinking that the next episodes will require more money was also answered in my own screenshot, so it seems neither of us are paying close enough attention. :)

Peace.

• Upvote 1

On 3/6/2019 at 3:13 PM, atomic said:

I hope it's not Will on the first pic :S

Looking forward to EP3 & any survival mode updates! Cheers!

Good news its not will but it is astrid

Posted (edited)

*Spoiler*

So I have a question. I am really sorry if this has been answered already but I have spent the past half hour searching various forums for a straight answer, and am getting frustrated.

When you’re in the Carter Hydro Dam and get to the exit video where you encounter an unnamed inmate, is that the last thing to date that has been developed or is there a way to get out of the damn and in to chapter or episode 3? I know this may sound stupid or annoying to any who know if it has been answered and I am sorry if this is an out of bounds question, but I’m going around in circles. (The last thing I remember is being hit in the head.)

btw great game. Love the mechanics. 

Edited by Sundance
Forgot something

44 minutes ago, Sundance said:

*Spoiler*

So I have a question. I am really sorry if this has been answered already but I have spent the past half hour searching various forums for a straight answer, and am getting frustrated.

When you’re in the Carter Hydro Dam and get to the exit video where you encounter an unnamed inmate, is that the last thing to date that has been developed or is there a way to get out of the damn and in to chapter or episode 3? I know this may sound stupid or annoying to any who know if it has been answered and I am sorry if this is an out of bounds question, but I’m going around in circles. (The last thing I remember is being hit in the head.)

btw great game. Love the mechanics. 

Hi. Next time, for more answers you would probably fair better if you either made a post in the section dubbed Wintermute (since this is a question about the Story mode of the game), or try the Milton Mailbag, which is a section of forums where you can ask a question and hopefully get the answer from the Creative director himself.

But since this is a simple enough question I can happily answer you myself :)

Sorry to dissapoint you, but what you described is the end of the Chapter 2 of the Story mode, and Chapter 3 is not yet out. And by the looks of it, it wont be out for a while yet - because the next two updates for the game will focus on the Sandbox Survival. And these updates usually take around 3 months.

So the Story mode Chapter 3 is probably still pretty far into the future. 

However, as you are familiar with the Story mode, I also want to inform you that in the next chapter of the story, the episode 3, you will no longer play as Will Mackenzie, but as Astrid, the female doctor protagonist that Will is looking for. The Episode 3 should also take place in the region called Pleasant Valley for the most part. Astrid will also not use the rifle like Will, but a bow.

The Episode 3 was supposed to be out by now, but due to bad reviews of the first two Episodes, Hinterland made a recent update Redux, where they reworked the first two episodes of the game to be more interesting and more action packed, without the need to go through the lenghty, plain tasks like it was in the past.

Actually, depending on when you played the Story mode, you might wanna re-play the first two episodes again. If you played them in the past, and remember hunting a bear with a rifle, then you played the old version of the story mode... and in that case, you should definitedly play the first two episodes again.

If you used a "different" weapon to fight the Bear in episode two, that was the new version of the Story.

Hope this answer was detailed enough. Sorry to dissapoint that there is no Episode 3 yet. But be patient, it will come. Till then, Id very much reccomend playing sandbox survival... it is, in my opinion, far more rewarding experience, and I can say that after playing the game for 5 years, now.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

Hi. Next time, for more answers you would probably fair better if you either made a post in the section dubbed Wintermute (since this is a question about the Story mode of the game), or try the Milton Mailbag, which is a section of forums where you can ask a question and hopefully get the answer from the Creative director himself.

But since this is a simple enough question I can happily answer you myself :)

Sorry to dissapoint you, but what you described is the end of the Chapter 2 of the Story mode, and Chapter 3 is not yet out. And by the looks of it, it wont be out for a while yet - because the next two updates for the game will focus on the Sandbox Survival. And these updates usually take around 3 months.

So the Story mode Chapter 3 is probably still pretty far into the future. 

However, as you are familiar with the Story mode, I also want to inform you that in the next chapter of the story, the episode 3, you will no longer play as Will Mackenzie, but as Astrid, the female doctor protagonist that Will is looking for. The Episode 3 should also take place in the region called Pleasant Valley for the most part. Astrid will also not use the rifle like Will, but a bow.

The Episode 3 was supposed to be out by now, but due to bad reviews of the first two Episodes, Hinterland made a recent update Redux, where they reworked the first two episodes of the game to be more interesting and more action packed, without the need to go through the lenghty, plain tasks like it was in the past.

Actually, depending on when you played the Story mode, you might wanna re-play the first two episodes again. If you played them in the past, and remember hunting a bear with a rifle, then you played the old version of the story mode... and in that case, you should definitedly play the first two episodes again.

If you used a "different" weapon to fight the Bear in episode two, that was the new version of the Story.

Hope this answer was detailed enough. Sorry to dissapoint that there is no Episode 3 yet. But be patient, it will come. Till then, Id very much reccomend playing sandbox survival... it is, in my opinion, far more rewarding experience, and I can say that after playing the game for 5 years, now.

Thanks for the response and guidance. While I can operate a smart phone and Xbox I’m completely useless when it comes to forums. 

No I love the game and just thought that they were further ahead with the devoloping of episodes. But that’s fine. I like the wait and just today started out on sandbox survival mode! This game is epic and the dev’s deserve the recognition for that. All good things got that way through work and rework of weaker points and from what I’ve seen, the rest of this story is going to be killer!! Thanks for the heads up! I thought I was going crazy!

Edited by Sundance
Stupid typo. Don’t wanna look like a noob
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sundance said:

Thanks for the response and guidance. While I can operate a smart phone and Xbox I’m completely useless when it comes to forums. 

No I love the game and just thought that they were further ahead with the devoloping of episodes. But that’s fine. I like the wait and just today started out on sandbox survival mode! This game is epic and the dev’s deserve the recognition for that. All good things got that way through work and rework of weaker points and from what I’ve seen, imthe rest of this story is going to be killer!! Thanks for the heads up! I thought I was going crazy!

No problem, happy to help. If you happen to have any more questions, you can message me via a private message any time - and I will reply, usually quite fast, lately Ive been spending a lot of time on the forums :) 

Good luck in your Sandbox adventures - after getting the training from the story modes, Im sure you wont have much trouble, taking it on! :D Just watch out for bears & Moose, they can be quite dangerous! :D Just about 30 minutes ago I climbed a wall of rose hip bushes in the Hushed Valley River, and there was a bear, some 5 meters in front of me... I backed and fell down the hole again, just in time as he was charging me... I love this game as well, every day in it is an adventure. 

And if you ever feel like you are getting tired of it, try to read through the forums a bit, too - might be that there is a tip or a trick you did not know about that will help you enjoy it once again. (in fact, my tip would be - dont try to hoard everything. Always gather up just enough of what you need - hunt up food only for a few days, then go picking wood, etc - if you collect too much of everything, you will get bored and have nothing to do... but if you always collect just enough things, then you will always have something to do! :) And dont forget to enjoy the game... it is not always about surviving... nobody forbids you from just going for a walk, find some beautiful vista and just watch & marvel at how beautiful the sunset is. 

Good luck!

16 hours ago, Sundance said:

I now know that i am not alone.☺️

On 3/10/2019 at 11:28 AM, Ice Hole said:

When life gives you bear hocks you make ...

screen_2bc0ccf0-1b6c-4e69-bdcf-43309e06d9b7_hi.thumb.png.e09aac0ceef9df279b26a4b20c5b8dfe.png

image from Bareskin's diary

Astrid's Amazing Aspic

vegetable-beef-aspic-547632.jpg

Boil down the hocks strain and the results is a gelatin liquid that congeals when cooled.

I have no words.

• Upvote 1

I’ve just finished playing the story mode and have started on survival and have noticed that a lot of the elements of survival are missing from the story mode, such as opening a can without an opener and losing a percentage of the food, not being able to sleep when you are fully rested etc. It would be great if those were implemented into the story mode but that probably would be a sizeable overhaul of story mode.

• Upvote 1

On 3/13/2019 at 4:36 AM, Hotzn said:

Erm... do not try this at home. An axe severing your carotid artery will not leave you much time for the blood to clot.

😂🙏

On 4/22/2019 at 12:24 PM, Sundance said:

I’ve just finished playing the story mode and have started on survival and have noticed that a lot of the elements of survival are missing from the story mode, such as opening a can without an opener and losing a percentage of the food, not being able to sleep when you are fully rested etc. It would be great if those were implemented into the story mode but that probably would be a sizeable overhaul of story mode.

I anticipate once episode 5 is done, most (if not all) survival elements will be in story mode.

On 4/22/2019 at 11:24 AM, Sundance said:

We tweak the mechanics and tuning between Story and Survival, focusing on what makes each experience "tick". Players are motivated by different things in Story than they are in Survival. For example, the focus in Survival is on long-term survival, so Skill progression makes sense there. In WINTERMUTE (Story Mode), long-term survival is not the focus, therefore we removed the Skills system from it. Rest works differently in Story because there's no benefit to limiting the player's access to Rest there, whereas in Survival, managing Rest is a big part of how you maintain Condition. Etc. 

• Upvote 4

Monday, in 5 days, we got the update!!!

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
On 4/9/2019 at 11:23 AM, Mroz4k said:

It is unfair to say that this game is mismanaged or poorly communicated. In fact, the opposite is true - the game has been well managed and planned so far, all things considering.

All things considered? Like I paid for a game years ago I still don't have? Absolutely not. This game is quite possibly a scam and is at best, horridly mismanaged.

On 4/9/2019 at 1:05 PM, peteloud said:

I I am an old IT guy and I have played a great many games over decades.  I am retired so have lots of time to spend trying and playing games.  I regard TLD as the best game I have encountered.  It has many minor bugs and it doesn't have state-of-the-art graphics. 

Good thing I've yet to complain about minor bugs or graphics. I'm fine with both. I'm not fine with being told that I would have a game 3 years ago that I still don't have.

Edited by MrJade

MrJade,

You have a game, such games are endless.   It will never be finished.  Even when Hinterland has finished, others will be creating mods.  That is a great thing about games like this.

I suspect that if I worked out what I paid for the game and the hours I have enjoyed playing it it is probably the best value entertainment that I have had in my long life.

I have greatly enjoyed the past 36 hours playing the game and looking for changes, and bugs. The crashes were a nuisance, but I don't get upset about it.

On 5/1/2019 at 12:36 PM, romerabr said:

Monday, in 5 days, we got the update!!!

I played like an hour after the kids were asleep and the wife was chill with me having some game time. The update is AWESOME!!!!! I love it! I barely got a chance to see the fixes and improvements but it definitely runs more smoothly and is generally just AWESOME!