Wolfs, bears, caves and Grizzly

enewmen

I notice the areas around campfires and caves seem too safe.

Caves seem too safe, so I would like to see typical caves to be inhabited (in common caves at a random part of the day) by wolfs or bears (in the bear cave at a random part of the night).  So while looking for a cave while traveling in a storm, entering a cave can be scary unless you know you've killed all predators in the area.   It makes sense the wolfs need to sleep someplace in mid-day then go out for hunting after.  Wolfs & bears wake up easily so can't try anything sinister.   Can also plan more bold/dangerous missions in the mid-day until wolfs wake up (if you learn their sleep schedule).  Maybe have rabbit holes as well?

Campfires seem too safe, so I was thinking of Grizzly bears.  Larger, more aggressive, more rare, walk faster, and more fatal encounters than with black bears.  A few travel between all maps.  Unlike other predators, the grizzly's are attracted to light, especially a camp-file cooking meat.  If you hear a unique grizzly roar from the distance, put out that camp fire and run someplace dark FAST!   When you hear the grizzly "I see you roar",   they will eat you, not just ravage.

Other EasterEgg thing.  A mirage where you see someone walking in the far distance.  It moves away from you so you'll never get close enough to be sure.  Like finding bigfoot but can never prove it.

Just thinking how to keep survivors on their toes.

Caves are only sure if no wolf sees you entering, a stalking wolf will follow you inside. Animals despawn during blizzards, that prevent critters to be hiding inside. I'm not sure if bear caves are dangerous to sleep in but I'm not trying. As for grizzly bears... 

warning.jpg

But I'd rather see bears toughen up a bit, instead of overcomplicating things with another species. Giving them a low bleedout chance even with a clear hit would be great.

3 hours ago, Doc Feral said:

Caves are only sure if no wolf sees you entering, a stalking wolf will follow you inside. Animals despawn during blizzards, that prevent critters to be hiding inside. I'm not sure if bear caves are dangerous to sleep in but I'm not trying. As for grizzly bears... 

warning.jpg

But I'd rather see bears toughen up a bit, instead of overcomplicating things with another species. Giving them a low bleedout chance even with a clear hit would be great.

It seems (you think) giving the wild life (In Great Bear) warnings will help your chances of survival.  Black Bears can also be be made tougher and meaner.   Personally I can kill black bears & moose fairly easily in Stalker or Interloper - PM if you want to know how.

BEARS are also too polite by giving you a simple ravage, then giving you time to pick up the bow & arrow for a fire in the back-side.   But any cave seems VERY good for any animal in bad weather.  Expect some hostility entering any cave. Bears perhaps also attracted by light to make you unsafe??

For wolfs, only if they see you enter a cave.  However, if that IS their cave, they should notice easily by your smell.

Yes, I agree opercomplincating things with another species should not be necessary.

Well, a carnivore's lair should stink like Hell's basement, so it's the character who should notice the smell setting foot in one. Killing bears now is trivial, moose just takes a bit more patience. As for blizzards, that's the way the game is programmed.

15 hours ago, Doc Feral said:

Well, a carnivore's lair should stink like Hell's basement, so it's the character who should notice the smell setting foot in one. Killing bears now is trivial, moose just takes a bit more patience. As for blizzards, that's the way the game is programmed.

I notice while staying in a cave, wolfs never attack me (unless  they see me).  Even while smelly, wolfs politely let me get rest.

I'm all for complicating things by adding Grizzlies.  I'd also like to see Polar Bears in Coastal Highway, Crumbling Highway, and Desolation Point rather than the standard Black Bear.  This way, variations in bear behavior could be set by species instead of being controlled by RNG.

3 hours ago, Doc Feral said:

Caves, doorless fishing huts, ruins and other open shelters offer no mechanical protection but heavily reduce detection.

Should not offer smell protection (unless fully indoors like a house, large cave, etc).   Just thinking.,

2 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I'm all for complicating things by adding Grizzlies.  I'd also like to see Polar Bears in Coastal Highway, Crumbling Highway, and Desolation Point rather than the standard Black Bear.  This way, variations in bear behavior could be set by species instead of being controlled by RNG.

Please up vote !   I see Polar Bears as less aggressive than other bears, but still very large and dangerous.  They can also swim in artic water when other bears can't.

Polar bears can be very very aggresive, and are surely no less aggressive than grizzlies. One major issue with the whole idea of polar bears is that there are no polar bears in the part of the world the game is set in. I lived in Prince George BC as a kid. The anachronism of seeing a polar bear there would totally trash immersion.

I think the high priority for the next predator should be the mountain lion. Prefers stealth attacks, can kill, very damaging to clothing, if Hinterland does a good job programming stalking behaviour (state: we've detected each other and we both know it; cats will prefer to keep their distance and wait for you to relax your guard; Don't turn your back on them!) it could add a whole new layer of challenge.

1 hour ago, stratvox said:

Polar bears can be very very aggresive, and are surely no less aggressive than grizzlies. One major issue with the whole idea of polar bears is that there are no polar bears in the part of the world the game is set in. I lived in Prince George BC as a kid. The anachronism of seeing a polar bear there would totally trash immersion.

I think the high priority for the next predator should be the mountain lion. Prefers stealth attacks, can kill, very damaging to clothing, if Hinterland does a good job programming stalking behaviour (state: we've detected each other and we both know it; cats will prefer to keep their distance and wait for you to relax your guard; Don't turn your back on them!) it could add a whole new layer of challenge.

Yeah, but isn't the premise that the wildlife and climate have been disrupted.  Weather conditions changing could bring the polar bears farther south... just saying. :P

Actually, more west than south, over the great plains or muskeg (from Hudson's Bay or the Arctic Ocean, respectively) and then a mountain range, and at least a thousand kilometres for the closest polar bear... all over habitat that they don't know how to feed from.

A massive anachronism that would throw any Canadian completely out of the willing suspension of disbelief... including the guy that makes the game. I think it's very unlikely you're going to see polar bears.

25 minutes ago, stratvox said:

Actually, more west than south, over the great plains or muskeg (from Hudson's Bay or the Arctic Ocean, respectively) and then a mountain range, and at least a thousand kilometres for the closest polar bear... all over habitat that they don't know how to feed from.

A massive anachronism that would throw any Canadian completely out of the willing suspension of disbelief... including the guy that makes the game. I think it's very unlikely you're going to see polar bears.

My theory about the formation of Great Bear Island is that it is a large piece of what once was Western Canada as a whole (not just Banks Island).  The Collapse has caused much of the mainland between BC/Yukon and the rest of Canada to become submerged.  The Polar Bears, therefore, would not be crossing those land masses... but rather, heading out onto a now enlarged Arctic Ocean on newly formed polar ice.

Archived