Skilled Survivor Achievement

piddy3825

2 hours ago, atomic said:

So, I came back from MT where I was rushing game into wolfs a bit nearby the farm there.

Back in Camp Office I started to craft arrows. It took me 15 arrows to level archery from 1 to 2 and another 25 arrows to get from 2 to 3. Now I have made 50 arrows in total, I guess I need further 30 to get to level 4. However, i have no feathers anymore. It's day 85 of my survivor's mission. I think we both need a break. Once I'm ready to search the world for further feathers I will reactivate him. 😀

2055725605_2019-03-1922_48_22-TheLongDark.png.8bdbb250791e85630e07ef607dec1595.png

35354176_2019-03-1922_47_51-TheLongDark.thumb.png.52c91257ca27070f4891f75cf3219841.png

Outstanding work my good man!

looking forward to your continued reporting on this activity, but I certainly understand needing to take a break.  it gets to be more of a job instead of a fun game...  thank god that the Firestarter  perk is cumulative or else you can imagine what it would be like trying to successfully ignite 1000 fires!

• 1 month later...
On 2/27/2019 at 1:36 PM, Skavenger416 said:

I hit level 5 mending around day 250 but I was was mending my gear all the time even for 1 or 2 percent and a lot of gear that I found I mended before harvesting just to get my level higher. I’m playing stalker so I’m not sure if you maybe find more rifle rounds in stalker because I have a large supply. 

Now, why didn't I think of that? Great tip. Once you get mending up to 3 (where I am at now after 110 days on Voyageur) or 4, the condition restored is higher. Find something like a hat or socks, I could see myself using only one cloth to repair it and then harvest it for that same cloth. The only real expense would be a condition hit on the sewing kit and believe me, I got a lot of those :) 

4 hours ago, Bronco said:

The only real expense would be a condition hit on the sewing kit and believe me, I got a lot of those :) 

Use fishing tackle until it hits 20%.  A 20% fishing tackle is just as good at ice fishing as 100%, but you get several repair attempts out of it first.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

Use fishing tackle until it hits 20%.  A 20% fishing tackle is just as good at ice fishing as 100%, but you get several repair attempts out of it first.

Wow, I keep learning new things in this game thanks to this community. Thank you for that tip. I didn't realize that fishing tackle took condition hits like a sewing kit. I always thought it was a one and done type thing. Thanks again ajb. Cheers mate!

On 5/9/2019 at 10:37 AM, Bronco said:

Wow, I keep learning new things in this game thanks to this community.

Same.  I like to think I've been around the block a bit, but I'm still surprised by the occasional little nugget of info.

I've been playing this game since 2015 and I didn't know until a year ago, but having a tool kit in your inventory allows you to reduce the time it takes to craft an arrow.  For years I'd been just planning my day around it taking 1.5 hours to make each arrow.

There's always one more thing to learn, one more thing to discover, one more fact you didn't realize...and that's part of the charm.

Edit: Oh and just to clarify a point, the reason I said use fishing tackle until it hits 20% is that's the breakage threshold.  Every object has one, and it's usually in the 20-30% range, but once you're within the breakage threshold there's a chance that the item will be destroyed even before it hits 0%.  For fishing tackle, it's 20%.

Edited by ajb1978
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

Edit: Oh and just to clarify a point, the reason I said use fishing tackle until it hits 20% is that's the breakage threshold.  Every object has one, and it's usually in the 20-30% range, but once you're within the breakage threshold there's a chance that the item will be destroyed even before it hits 0%.  For fishing tackle, it's 20%.

Another great tidbit! In one of my playthroughs, I'm exploring the crates in Timberwolf Mountain and I had a hacksaw that was 23%. I figured I was good enough to inspect the 4 containers at the wing. Well, the hacksaw broke after opening only the first container. So I assume it was 18% at that point. 

I only have one hacksaw left at 73%. I guess I'll go back to PV and pick up that simple toolbox I left behind so I can repair the hacksaw as I go. Good to know there's a threshold. Thanks again ajb!

17 minutes ago, Bronco said:

Another great tidbit! In one of my playthroughs, I'm exploring the crates in Timberwolf Mountain and I had a hacksaw that was 23%. I figured I was good enough to inspect the 4 containers at the wing. Well, the hacksaw broke after opening only the first container. So I assume it was 18% at that point. 

Oooh yeah and actually when using a hacksaw or prybar to open locked containers, if the tool is ruined during an attempt to force your way in, there is a chance that the container itself can also be ruined, and you can never again attempt to open it.  I would never risk that, unless it's literally life or death.

1 minute ago, ajb1978 said:

Oooh yeah and actually when using a hacksaw or prybar to open locked containers, if the tool is ruined during an attempt to force your way in, there is a chance that the container itself can also be ruined, and you can never again attempt to open it.  I would never risk that, unless it's literally life or death.

Yeah, the container was ruined when the hacksaw broke. I guess that's how you learn in this game... by your own miserable mistakes ;) 

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone,

I am fairly new to the game (I mostly play on pilgrim because I can’t stand the permadeath) but thanks to this wonderful community I am learning with every hour I read in the forums. Like others in this thread I try to increase my skills to 5. I collected very helpful information from this thread but need further clarification.

My biggest concern is with the weapons in this game. Bow, rifle and the revolver.

Bow (Level 2, almost 3): I found out that making arrows is increasing the skill. Now I am looking for feathers. Do they respawn after a certain time? I only have found one book.

Rifle (Level 3): I am at level 3 because I have not found many books. I have about 45 rounds left. From what I can tell is that from now on I need to make every shot count. I am ok with the rifle.

Revolver (Level 2): I am only at level 2 (found 1 book). I tried to shoot a wolf but never hit it. How can I level up the revolver? I have plenty of bullets for this weapon. But I do not know if it is enough?

Where do you find gun research books? Where do I look for it?

I have not found an Advanced Guns, Guns, Guns! book yet in my 200 days pilgrim run.

Thanks for your tipps and help. They are very much appreciated.