Skilled Survivor Achievement

piddy3825

I was checking out the details on getting this achievement and you gotta max out each skill set in your journal to a 5 in a single survival game.  From the looks of things, if your close to getting this achievement  or if you got it, looks like a player would also complete the Determined Survivor Achievement by hitting the 500 day mark.  Makes sense that hitting both those achievements would probably be in the same game considering how long it takes to level up to 5 in certain categories. 

Now I find myself down to the fishing skill set and the rifle skill set with both of these categories just being at a 4.  I decided to do some marathon ice fishing and after rotating through a couple of fishing shacks I had a massive pile of fish.  The progress meter had moved some when I checked it but not by too much.  Question, if anybody knows this, but how many fish do you have to catch to move the meter to reach level 5?  Just curious about how long it may take to go the distance.  my last marathon fishing expedition yielded roughly 12 fish and that maybe moved the progress meter 5%.  At that rate I think I'm gonna have to catch another 200+ fish.   

But, my real concern is getting the rifle skill set.  If this skill set leveling up is like fishing, I dont think I am gonna have enough bullets.  That would be tragic considering how much time I have just in this walk through.  There's no skill books left for me to read, i got both of the Guns Guns Guns magazines.  I do have a good supply of bullets as I prefer the use of the bow over the rifle, but how much killing is it gonna take to move that progress bar to a 5?

as always, you comments, suggestions and feedback always welcome and encouraged.  Thanks for reading!

• Upvote 2

I’m in the same boat as you with just rifle and fishing left at 4. I have about 100 rifle rounds saved up as I’ve pretty much just used my bow and am going to go on a wolf killing spree. I spent Maybe 5 or 6 days  in one of the huts on coastal highway and caught probably 40 or more fish and I think it moved my bar maybe 1/3 or so. If I get on today I’ll try to see how many fish it takes as I have a huge supply of essentials to last me a while there and can just grind it out.

• Upvote 1

I think the number of fish needed is around 500.  I just recently got Level 5 fishing in my Faithful Cartographer save (pilgrim) and my journal shows 508 fish caught.  I did read every Angler magazine I found (not sure if I've found them all though).  My rifleman is up to Level 4 with 20 shots taken and 19 hits.  I was unable to read all the Frontier Shooting Guides I found because I read the Advanced Guns, Guns, Guns.  I think you get more out of them if you don't read the Advanced Guns ones until after you've found and read all the Frontier Shooting ones.

I'm confident I'll get the Rifleman up to 5 before I run out of bullets.  The one that might hang me is the Mending one.  Unfortunately, I've harvested most of the clothes I'm not using and stored the cloth... and, on Pilgrim, I'm just not wearing down the clothing I'm wearing very fast.  My Mending is only at Level 3... but I do have about 175 days to go to get to 500.  Hopefully, it'll get up to Level 5 before then.  I'm still hoping to jump of TWM on Day 500.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 1

I hit level 5 mending around day 250 but I was was mending my gear all the time even for 1 or 2 percent and a lot of gear that I found I mended before harvesting just to get my level higher. I’m playing stalker so I’m not sure if you maybe find more rifle rounds in stalker because I have a large supply. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Looks like 100 fish needed from 4 to 5:  https://thelongdark.fandom.com/wiki/Ice_Fishing

And 50 hits from 4 to 5 for rifle:  https://thelongdark.fandom.com/wiki/Rifle_Firearm

and @hozz1235 comes to the rescue yet again with good news!  I got nothing but time and plenty of fishing line!  I've got over a hundred rounds easy, so unless i just miss every other shot I just might see these achievements through.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I think the number of fish needed is around 500.  I just recently got Level 5 fishing in my Faithful Cartographer save (pilgrim) and my journal shows 508 fish caught.  I did read every Angler magazine I found (not sure if I've found them all though).  My rifleman is up to Level 4 with 20 shots taken and 19 hits.  I was unable to read all the Frontier Shooting Guides I found because I read the Advanced Guns, Guns, Guns.  I think you get more out of them if you don't read the Advanced Guns ones until after you've found and read all the Frontier Shooting ones.

I'm confident I'll get the Rifleman up to 5 before I run out of bullets.  The one that might hang me is the Mending one.  Unfortunately, I've harvested most of the clothes I'm not using and stored the cloth... and, on Pilgrim, I'm just not wearing down the clothing I'm wearing very fast.  My Mending is only at Level 3... but I do have about 175 days to go to get to 500.  Hopefully, it'll get up to Level 5 before then.  I'm still hoping to jump of TWM on Day 500.

Faithful Cartographer...  I just always forget to sketch as I typically empty my pack of all those annoying heavy chunks of charcoal...

The mending is easy enough until you run out of sewing kits or fishing tackle.  If you clean out CH of all their curtains, you'll easily have over a hundred or more pieces of cloth.  I just go outside on a nice day and mend everything I have from sun up to sun down, gets the job done and you can avoid cabin fever.  

10 hours ago, Skavenger416 said:

I’m in the same boat as you with just rifle and fishing left at 4. I have about 100 rifle rounds saved up as I’ve pretty much just used my bow and am going to go on a wolf killing spree. I spent Maybe 5 or 6 days  in one of the huts on coastal highway and caught probably 40 or more fish and I think it moved my bar maybe 1/3 or so. If I get on today I’ll try to see how many fish it takes as I have a huge supply of essentials to last me a while there and can just grind it out.

lol, my camp is so stocked with meat and fish right now, I think I might easily go another 30 days without having to kill anything.  I would kill for a small side salad right now. LOL

51 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

Faithful Cartographer...  I just always forget to sketch as I typically empty my pack of all those annoying heavy chunks of charcoal...

The mending is easy enough until you run out of sewing kits or fishing tackle.  If you clean out CH of all their curtains, you'll easily have over a hundred or more pieces of cloth.  I just go outside on a nice day and mend everything I have from sun up to sun down, gets the job done and you can avoid cabin fever.  

I have cloth... I don't have more clothes than what's on my back... and because I'm in Pilgrim, they aren't degrading very quickly.  I harvested every other piece of clothing I found throughout the game.  Had I not done that, I'd have more clothes I could mend to get the skill level up.  Does crafting new clothing increase mending skill?

ETA:  I've literally just stumbled on a way to speed up the degradation of my clothes... mountain goating.  Problem solved - I'm positive now I can arrange to get all skills to Level 5 by Day 500.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I have cloth... I don't have more clothes than what's on my back...

ohhh... my bad, I wasn't aware you were down to what you were just wearing! good point is that you've got enough cloth to mend those clothes for the next 5000 days if you choose to play or live that long, lol

1 hour ago, peteloud said:

If people are so keen to get these achievements then play at  'baby'  level.  Perhaps you could even make it easier by setting up a custom level with everything set to the easiest setting.

Alternatively, just sit watching the TV, that's easier still.

Absolutely.  I certainly wasn't about to invest so many hours in trying to get my Faithful Cartographer, 500-Day, and this max'd out skills achievement while risking permadeath at every turn.  I've got other file saves on harder difficulties for that.  It's not my fault the achievements for this game are so time consuming and "grindy."

20 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Does crafting new clothing increase mending skill?

Nope, just mending existing clothes.  Since you have so few clothing items to mend, and if you have an abundance of cloth, you can just mend anytime something drops below 100%...

As a side note, there is so much cloth available in the game (curtains, couches, etc.) you should save numerous "backup" clothing items (e.g. I have about 10 pairs of socks that I will not break down).  This is especially true for items which suffer struggle damage.  Then again, there are craftable counterparts for most of those.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

Nope, just mending existing clothes.  Since you have so few clothing items to mend, and if you have an abundance of cloth, you can just mend anytime something drops below 100%...

As a side note, there is so much cloth available in the game (curtains, couches, etc.) you should save numerous "backup" clothing items (e.g. I have about 10 pairs of socks that I will not break down).  This is especially true for items which suffer struggle damage.  Then again, there are craftable counterparts for most of those.

Kind of figured... but I was hoping.   Yep, I do regret all the harvesting I did thinking I was saving weight.  I could just keep playing it safe and probably have to go beyond the 500-Day mark to get the skill up to Level 5 or I can start getting a little careless while goating around and, hopefully, just tear some items a bit and not ruin them, so that I can mend more frequently and get the skill to Level 5 by Day 500.  It would help to know about how many repairs I need to make to get there.  I'm about 3/4ths of the way through Level 3 now.  Any guessimates?  This guy is on Pilgrim difficulty, so thankfully no struggles and his ability to survive now to Day 500 is not really in any doubt (unless I get really careless goating around, that is).

My Rifleman is about 2/3rds (correction: 1/2 - looking at journal) through Level 4 and I have about 50 bullets (maybe more) that I know of stored around the world.  I'm pretty accurate, so I'm confident I'll make Level 5 there without running out of bullets.  If I'm short, there are probably more bullets lying around in the world that I've just overlooked while looting).  I also have an ample number of cleaning kits and 3 rifles at above 80% condition currently (also stored in various locations in the world).

Edited by UpUpAway95

13 hours ago, peteloud said:

If people are so keen to get these achievements then play at  'baby'  level.  Perhaps you could even make it easier by setting up a custom level with everything set to the easiest setting.

Alternatively, just sit watching the TV, that's easier still.

I dont think that you can dumb down the minimum achievement level requirements below the minimum Pilgrim mode difficulty level.  You just have to complete a certain number of repetitive actions in each category in order to move forward regardless of difficulty level.  Might not make a lot of sense, but that's how I understand it works.

As to the original question:

It took me 56 Rifle hits to get my rifle to level 5 (from level 1).  I'm not sure about reading for this.  No more than one Guns,Guns,Guns book, though (if any).

Total fish caught was 530.9kg to get to level 5.  Don't remember how many books: maybe two?

The long pole for me was Mending.  From day 165 to 500 I was in "retirement" mode, just passing the days.  I didn't really want to blow through all my cloth, just for a dumb achievement.  So, I developed the following strategy:

• Farm lots of rabbit pelts
  • Stand outside in every blizzard until my rabbit stuff was 99%.
  • Go in.  Repair.  Go back outside in the blizzard

I also made two wolf coats for this same reason, but they are much more resilient than rabbit items, though the pelts were easier to come by.

15 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

I dont think that you can dumb down the minimum achievement level requirements below the minimum Pilgrim mode difficulty level.  You just have to complete a certain number of repetitive actions in each category in order to move forward regardless of difficulty level.  Might not make a lot of sense, but that's how I understand it works.

I don't think he was referring to making the progression (less skill points needed) to level 5 easier (can't do that as far as I know), but instead, factors that could contribute to having the materials to get there.

1 hour ago, NardoLoopa said:

It took me 56 Rifle hits to get my rifle to level 5 (from level 1).  I'm not sure about reading for this.  No more than one Guns,Guns,Guns book, though (if any).

Hmm...this contradicts the wiki.  Wonder if it needs to be updated?

On 3/1/2019 at 9:05 AM, NardoLoopa said:

As to the original question:

Total fish caught was 530.9kg to get to level 5.  Don't remember how many books: maybe two?

The long pole for me was Mending.  From day 165 to 500 I was in "retirement" mode, just passing the days.  I didn't really want to blow through all my cloth, just for a dumb achievement.  So, I developed the following strategy:

• Farm lots of rabbit pelts
  • Stand outside in every blizzard until my rabbit stuff was 99%.
  • Go in.  Repair.  Go back outside in the blizzard

I also made two wolf coats for this same reason, but they are much more resilient than rabbit items, though the pelts were easier to come by.

That;s a great strategy with the rabbits.  I've got several pelts already.  Thanks for the count on rifle shots.  I definitely should be OK then on bullets to make Level 5.  I think I'm going to back off trying to tear my clothes mountain goating... don't want to ruin them outright since they are the only ones I have that haven't already been reduced to cloth.  If mending takes me past Day 500, so be it.  He'll jump from TWM when he jumps then.

8 hours ago, peteloud said:

Just play the game as its meant to be played.  When you shortcut and manipulate getting an achievement you are cheating yourself.

Spending time hunting to stock up on rabbit pelts to be able to make a sufficient number of mends to get the achievement before running out of cloth sure beats mashing the "pass time" function for days on end just to speed up how fast the clock ticks to get to Day-500.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 1

I've worked out my mending schedule.  I'm at day 364 and have just now flipped over from Level 3 to Level 4 mending.  According to what I've read online, that means I need to get 150 successful repairs in before Day 500 to get to Level 5 mending so I can get this achievement and still jump from TWM on Day 500 as planned.  I have  145 cloth stored in Pleasant Valley and anoth 30 in TWM.  I don't have enough sewing kits to make that many repairs, so I will have to make some fishing line.  The good news is that I should be able to degrade at least 2 items a day from 100% to 99% so that I can repair them.  That should keep me on schedule.

The unknown remaining is the number of rifle hits I need to make before Day 500 and before I run out of bullets.  I have 55 bullets between Pleasant Valley and TWM.  I might have left some in Mystery Lake, so my next move is to make a journey back that way to check.  I also can try heading back out to Coastal Highway to do some beachcombing for cartridges.

1 hour ago, peteloud said:

". . . mashing the "pass time" function for days on end just to speed up  . . ."

Set yourself a personal objective that takes several days of activity.   Try and fill in all of the black spaces on your maps.

Yeah, like stocking up on some rabbit pelts, right?  I don't do the "pass time" thing... in short, I AM playing the game the way it was intended to be played.  The only thing I'm not doing is trying to get this Pilgrim to survive beyond Day 500... I want to end him on that day if I can get my remaining Survival achievements before that day.  If I can't get them on time, then I will carry on with him beyond Day 500 until all achievements are obtained.

Edited by UpUpAway95

I found the easiest way to maintain a clip of two mends per day is to sleep each night in the bedroll even if there is a bed available.  That guarantees that the bedroll will drop to 99% from 100% each and every day guaranteeing one repair each day.  If I'm not doing much outside (on Pilgrim), the clothing may not drop each day, but usually at least 2 items will drop to 99% every second day.  So, there's no need to risk ruining clothes by mountain goating or to needlessly stand outside during blizzards to get this done by Day 500.

I returned to ML and scavenged every bit of cloth from the dam and lakeside cabins in the process.  I now should also be set with enough cloth to make the 150 mends needed.  I also found 20 more bullets, so I should be good to Rifleman Level 5 as well as long as I stay careful and accurate.