Rotten meat eatable

muoz

I think that should not be possible to cook rotten meat. Food at 0% can be cooked and here you go, you have new fresh food at 50% condition. That makes no sense to me.

Thinking of late game you can spread around meat everywhere and you can come back 1 year later and you can still cook and eat that food. That makes much easier to survive tons of days because at the end meat never spoils.

What do you think?

I understand your point, but you have an option not to eat such meat. It's up to you.

Secondly, IRL meat can be stored frozen for a couple of months (beef even 10-12 months deep frozen which should not be a problem in this game). I've never tried it in RL though, but I certainly would try it before starving to death.

For my immersion it works, as I consider that I have  either kept the meat frozen, dried or smoked it to make it durable.

43 minutes ago, atomic said:

I understand your point, but you have an option not to eat such meat. It's up to you.

Secondly, IRL meat can be stored frozen for a couple of months (beef even 10-12 months deep frozen which should not be a problem in this game). I've never tried it in RL though, but I certainly would try it before starving to death.

For my immersion it works, as I consider that I have  either kept the meat frozen, dried or smoked it to make it durable.

I have a 13.4 cubic Ft. Deep Freezer. We use it to store 1/2 to full beef. I have had beef in there for 8 months and cook and ate it and was fine. So given a cold enough temp it is possible I think for at least a year.

You also have the option not to kill more than you need for the immediate few days.  At any rate, here's a paraphrased quote from an article on how long it's safe to store frozen meat:

According to the US Department of Agriculture, uncooked meat can be safely kept frozen for 4 to 12 months and uncooked wild game for  8 to 12 months.  Cooked meat can be safely kept for 2 to 3 months.

It does vary depending on the quality it's in when it is first frozen, how fast it is frozen, how it's packaged, the consistency of the temperature of the freezer, etc.

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/safe-food-handling/freezing-and-food-safety/CT_Index

I don't have a problem with the game mechanic as it is.

4 hours ago, atomic said:

Oh, thats good point. I just thought straight away when i saw the red 0% "oh my meat is rotten"

Yeah.. About that. Level 5 cooking is broken. Level 5 cooking means no food poisoning. Not, no food poisoning if you have cooked something, NO FOOD POSIONING AT ALL. Yesterday I downed 3 cans of rotten (0%) uncooked doog food. I was just fine. Nothing at all happened. IRL you would be dead, not even food poisoning your dead. Rotten meat has toxins in it that will kill you.

It should be remembered that Survival mode was a result of the popularity of the sandbox when survival game mechanics were being worked on. All of that was to support Story Mode. That was one big reason why certain things that might be present in a pure survival-oriented game were not present.

Raw meat (in Pilgrim), if stored outside in the snow, would nominally last about 100 days before reaching 0% condition, despite being in freezer temps. If the devs were going to incorporate a "ruined meat" cannot be used mechanic, they would have to think seriously about various alternate means of food preservation which would be a big burden for little gain for Story Mode. Maybe after Story Mode concludes, there might be more changes along those lines. 

On 2/25/2019 at 4:01 PM, stratvox said:

tried eating a raw coho salmon (was thinking sashimi!) but got food poisoning

Hahahahaha love this
I guess when you're surviving months on your own with limited food options you need to get creative...

Archived