Possible Hack To Avoid Food Poisoning

Wintersteel

9 minutes ago, earthy said:

You both have good points tbh. An extra word or two would make it a lot more clear - "Never get food poisoning or parasites from cooked food", but at the same time it is Level 5 Cooking and not Level 5 Eating. It would definitely be a bit counterintuitive to think "we're so good at cooking meat that we can now eat it without cooking it".

OK, so answer me this... What does a cooking skill have to do with suddenly being able to smash open a can without a can opener and lose none of the contents?... because that's a Level 5 cooking perk as well.  It's not restricted just to the canned items you can cook.  It also applies to items you wouldn't normally cook, like dog food.  Why should I just assume then that never getting food poisoning or parasites only applies to cooked food?  There's obviously some confusion about this... as evidenced by the discussion above in this thread alone.  Why not make it clearer inside the game?

19 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

OK, so answer me this... What does a cooking skill have to do with suddenly being able to smash open a can without a can opener and lose none of the contents?... because that's a Level 5 cooking perk as well.  It's not restricted just to the canned items you can cook.  It also applies to items you wouldn't normally cook, like dog food.  Why should I just assume then that never getting food poisoning or parasites only applies to cooked food?  There's obviously some confusion about this... as evidenced by the discussion above in this thread alone.  Why not make it clearer inside the game?

It's just that falls within the realm of reason. You smash open enough cans, eventually you learn to do it without spilling any. It's a bit different than "If you cook enough meat, your body will become immune to the bacteria and parasites in raw meat". Again, I think if they clarified the statement it would be good, but I also think it's not that unreasonable to expect people to understand how it works currently.

25 minutes ago, earthy said:

It's just that falls within the realm of reason. You smash open enough cans, eventually you learn to do it without spilling any. It's a bit different than "If you cook enough meat, your body will become immune to the bacteria and parasites in raw meat". Again, I think if they clarified the statement it would be good, but I also think it's not that unreasonable to expect people to understand how it works currently.

OK, IRL - How do you smash open a can without a can opener or a knife and not lost any of the contents at all?  Also, we don't gain cooking skill points by smashing open a lot of cans.  We get cooking skill points by cooking.  Theoretically, one could almost get to Level 5 without ever having opened a single can in the game and certainly most people get to Level 5 cooking without having smashed open a single can in the game..  I just don't think it's unreasonable for people to be misled by the current statement.

7 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Perhaps a rewording on that perk is in order as well

Maybe if the sound was linked to where you "smash" the can open.  So an indoors setting the spoon method is used and its corresponding sound effect.  When outdoor the "smash" can sound effect would be the can rubbing on rock.

This could be taken a step further and the need for scrap metal or rock implemented.

I am a 100% sure that, about a week ago, I clicked too fast in my game and started eating a piece of raw meat (yeah, despite the warning message). When I realized my mistake, I sort of panicked and instantly cancelled the action. But it was too late, I had already gotten food poisoning (and thus had to stay in bed for the next day instead of going on that expedition that I had planned). 

So, although hard to prove, based on my previous experience I doubt that cancelling the action will help anything. 

My theory is that the chance to get food poisoning gets lower with EVERY cooking skill point you receive (not only "no food poisoning at level 5").
Which would mean, if you're now at cooking skill 2, you will get food poisoning less often than before.

On 2/26/2019 at 3:56 PM, hozz1235 said:

Hmm...on my longest run, which I've been level 5 cooking for a long time, I have eaten countless 0% uncooked food items and haven't gotten food poisoning once.  Maybe I've just been lucky...

Good point, I think I was wrong in saying you can still get food poisoning from some foods at level 5.  I recently reached level 5 in my current game and I've been eating every low and ruined food I come across, and no food poisoning yet.

Level 5 cooking skill benefit is a categorical benefit. You don't get food poisoning (or parasites) from any meat or fish you cook and you don't get it from any modern packaged food either. While it might seem more realistic to still be subject to food poisoning for certain canned foods, the marginal benefit to game-play was probably not seen as a sufficient enhancement to the game to be worth implementing for an event that is relatively rare (notwithstanding the player who gets food poisoning with every low condition food consumed :) ) . 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm exploring Pleasant Valley after 140 days of survival (cooking is level 5 since the first week or two) and I'm finding plenty of 0% food items, guzzling them with detritivorous gluttony from my inventory since they don't appear on the radial. Luckily I arrived just in time to save a bunch of 1% bear steaks I had left in a box on the farm's porch during a quick previous incursion, or they would have self destructed.

Anyway, the best hack to avoid food poisoning is hacking meat to tiny pieces and do some binge cooking till you level up.

On 2/21/2019 at 7:32 PM, BareSkin said:

I honestly think it's not true, except a recent change in the related code. Before a VERY NICE update fix, we could easily mistakenly eat raw food, and believe me, pressing escape before the end didn't spare us the poisoning.

I had the same problem with the Vigilant Flame update and it's cooking overhaul.

Archived