Possible Hack To Avoid Food Poisoning

Wintersteel

YOU GUYS.

I may have discovered something extremely helpful. Or not, I'm not sure. I need y'all's thoughts; it's worked every single time for me.

As we all know, low-condition food items (except for sodas and possibly other things, I'm not sure) have a chance of giving you food poisoning if you eat them. The lower the condition, the higher the chance. I myself have gotten food poisoning probably at least 3 times in various saves because I'm an idiot.

BUT.

I think I may have found a way to "cheese" around that in a dire circumstance.

If, at any point in the game, your only options are to eat a very low-condition item or starve, I have a tip for you.

Eat some of the low-condition item . . . but NOT all of it.

Right before the circular meter hits the end when you're eating, click the CANCEL button.

If you time it just right, you can consume the majority of the calories in the food item and leave just a very little bit, which you can then drop, AND AVOID GETTING FOOD POISONING.

It's worked every single time for me.

I ask those of you willing to take a risk to try this out and let me know what happens, because I really want to know if this is an actual life-saving tip. On my honor as a Survivor, I swear I am not kidding around here. If I could prove it to you guys somehow that it works, I would. I just need y'all to take a leap of faith.

If you do try it out, please let me know what happens!

There's nothing cheesy about canceling out of eating something, but I don't think that has helped you in this case.  If you are going to get food poisoning from eating something, it happens immediately, regardless of how much you actually eat.  

If you really want to test it, try it with some raw rabbit or deer meat.

1 hour ago, Wintersteel said:

Oooooh, that's a good idea. I will definitely try that.

I just found it odd that, before I started doing this, I got food poisoning many times from eating low-condition items. Now I've eaten countless low-condition items and haven't gotten food poisoning once.

Is it possible that it is because your cooking skill has increased to a high enough level to eliminate the risk of getting food poisoning?  If you're at Cooking Level 5, food poisoning is no longer a risk no matter what you eat.

3 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Is it possible that it is because your cooking skill has increased to a high enough level to eliminate the risk of getting food poisoning?  If you're at Cooking Level 5, food poisoning is no longer a risk no matter what you eat.

Oh, it's definitely not that. I am nowhere near good enough at this game to have survived long enough to achieve Cooking Level 5.

I haven't gotten the opportunity to try it with raw meat yet, but since I'm playing Voyageur and have plenty of antibiotics and food handy, I'm going to try it as soon as I can and let y'all know what happens.

Y'ALL, IT WORKED.

screen_66088d92-aebe-46a4-9a87-de49ab9ca5e0_hi.thumb.png.1759dd0cf7727af3c8e7457fa1d2fc89.png

I ate everything but 61 calories, and no food poisoning.

That's probably the most definitive proof that this works that I'm gonna get. Maybe I'll keep updating this thread with more and more sketchy food items that I've eaten without getting food poisoning as I progress through the game. This'll be an ongoing experiment. And if any of y'all want to join in the experiment and try it out yourselves, please do! And let me know what happens!

On 2/19/2019 at 1:02 PM, UpUpAway95 said:

If you're at Cooking Level 5, food poisoning is no longer a risk no matter what you eat.

Not quite - at level 5, you only avoid food poisoning in cooked or heated food.  You can still get food poisoning from low condition, non-cooked canned food like dog food and sardines, granola bars, raw meat, etc.  You won't get intestinal parasites from cooked predator meat at level 5, but you can still get it if you accidentally eat raw predator meat.

5 hours ago, Wintersteel said:

I ate everything but 61 calories, and no food poisoning.

Interesting, but one time doesn't mean it will always work.  I think it's still a random chance... If you've eaten five or ten partial pieces of raw meat in a row and not gotten food poisoning, you might be on to something.  I still think you'll get food poisoning sometime.   I know that I have gotten food poisoning from beginning to eat raw rabbit or deer while at level 5.

I'll join the test... next time I have raw rabbit or deer, antibiotics, and 10 hours to kill, I'll give it a try and let you know what happens.  I'm on a new Interloper run now, need to get to level 5, then I'll try it.

7 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Interesting, but one time doesn't mean it will always work.  I think it's still a random chance... If you've eaten five or ten partial pieces of raw meat in a row and not gotten food poisoning, you might be on to something.  I still think you'll get food poisoning sometime.

You're right, I got a bit ahead of myself. I need to try this a LOT more times before I decide that it's fool-proof. Which is perfect, since I just found a gun and a boatload of ammo in my main save. So I'll head out hunting the next chance I get and try this out a few more times.

To be clear, I did this at almost the very beginning of a save, with my cooking level at the lowest level possible. So I definitely didn't have any protection there.

1 minute ago, Wintersteel said:

To be clear, I did this at almost the very beginning of a save, with my cooking level at the lowest level possible. So I definitely didn't have any protection there.

Ah yes, I mixed things up there and injected the level 5.  I'll try it soon and see if I have similar results.

The game calculates chances based on the number of food items consumed, not the calories or weight. For the same reason eating a 1kg piece of wolf gives you 4% or 1% risk of parasites, but eating six 100g pieces will probably grant you many new little friends, despite the total being less. So consuming 0 full pieces gives 0x chance. It makes perfect sense with the rules, in a vile and munchkin-ish way.

7 hours ago, Doc Feral said:

The game calculates chances based on the number of food items consumed, not the calories or weight. For the same reason eating a 1kg piece of wolf gives you 4% or 1% risk of parasites, but eating six 100g pieces will probably grant you many new little friends, despite the total being less. So consuming 0 full pieces gives 0x chance. It makes perfect sense with the rules, in a vile and munchkin-ish way.

Duuuude . . . I did not know that, but it does make perfect sense! So maybe I really am on to something! Thank you for sharing that, that's really great to know!

I honestly think it's not true, except a recent change in the related code. Before a VERY NICE update fix, we could easily mistakenly eat raw food, and believe me, pressing escape before the end didn't spare us the poisoning. The thing is, maybe the probability of it is much bigger in Interloper? In this mode you're kinda certain to get poisoned as you eat raw food.

16 hours ago, Doc Feral said:

For the same reason eating a 1kg piece of wolf gives you 4% or 1% risk of parasites

I don't think parasites can be compared to poisoning, they have a completely different code: parasites risk stack for each time you eat some carnivore meat (1% first piece, 4% next one, and so  on), no matter the calories and even if you don't finish it I think. Poisoning doesn't have this king of sophistication.

On 2/20/2019 at 8:05 PM, MrWolf said:

Not quite - at level 5, you only avoid food poisoning in cooked or heated food.  You can still get food poisoning from low condition, non-cooked canned food like dog food and sardines, granola bars, raw meat, etc.  You won't get intestinal parasites from cooked predator meat at level 5, but you can still get it if you accidentally eat raw predator meat.

Hmm...on my longest run, which I've been level 5 cooking for a long time, I have eaten countless 0% uncooked food items and haven't gotten food poisoning once.  Maybe I've just been lucky...

Canned food, jerky, candy bars and so on count as cooked, meat doesn't. Raw meat can still cause poisoning and parasites, other stuff can't. Level 5 cooking turns you in a living trash bin, as long as it's cooked trash. It just doesn't matter who cooked it and when. Even that forgotten pile of dozens 0.1kg wolf steaks you cooked to level up will be safe, even if you roasted them when you were level 1.

5 minutes ago, Doc Feral said:

Canned food, jerky, candy bars and so on count as cooked, meat doesn't. Raw meat can still cause poisoning and parasites, other stuff can't. Level 5 cooking turns you in a living trash bin, as long as it's cooked trash. It just doesn't matter who cooked it and when.

The only issue I have with the Level 5 Cooking is in the journal description of it.  It literally says "Never get parasites or food poisoning"  Somehow, they should match what happens in the game with the description of it.  Otherwise, it's nice to be able to still eat some of the foodstuffs you left behind due to weight limitations at the beginning of the game even though their condition has deteriorated significantly since you dropped them on the floor.

19 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

The only issue I have with the Level 5 Cooking is in the journal description of it.  It literally says "Never get parasites or food poisoning"  Somehow, they should match what happens in the game with the description of it.  Otherwise, it's nice to be able to still eat some of the foodstuffs you left behind due to weight limitations at the beginning of the game even though their condition has deteriorated significantly since you dropped them on the floor.

Well, since it's about your cooking skill it should be limited to food YOU've cooked when ALREADY at level 5, everything else already is a free handout.

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if you were disapproving the remaining chance of getting parasites or poisoning, or the skill being overpowered...

2 hours ago, Doc Feral said:

Well, since it's about your cooking skill it should be limited to food YOU've cooked when ALREADY at level 5, everything else already is a free handout.

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if you were disapproving the remaining chance of getting parasites or poisoning, or the skill being overpowered...

I don't really care which way they adjust the skill itself.  My only complaint is that the journal is like a bit of false advertising as it currently reads.  If it's still possible to get parasites or food poisoning, they should have never used "never" in their description of that skill.  A simple adjustment to the wording to add a "from food cooked by you" or "food cooked by you after reaching Level 5, or even, alternatively, "from all cooked food" (and then possibly adjusting the skill to match) would suffice to correct the current discrepancy.  If they want to leave the journal the way it is, then I think it should be impossible to get either condition from any source after that Level is reached... solely because that's what it currently says is the case.

1 hour ago, hozz1235 said:

The cooking skill is for cooked items so is it true you cannot get afflictions from cooking.  You're referring to just eating food.

It says I'll NEVER get parasites or food poisoning.  Never means never in my book.  Gosh, I'm not even asking them to change the skill, so what's such a big deal about suggesting that they could just add a few words to the journal to make it clearly match whatever they've set up as the parameter for the skill?  Maybe "cooked food will no longer give you food poisoning or parasites."

21 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

It says I'll NEVER get parasites or food poisoning.  Never means never in my book.  Gosh, I'm not even asking them to change the skill, so what's such a big deal about suggesting that they could just add a few words to the journal to make it clearly match whatever they've set up as the parameter for the skill?  Maybe "cooked food will no longer give you food poisoning or parasites."

You both have good points tbh. An extra word or two would make it a lot more clear - "Never get food poisoning or parasites from cooked food", but at the same time it is Level 5 Cooking and not Level 5 Eating. It would definitely be a bit counterintuitive to think "we're so good at cooking meat that we can now eat it without cooking it".

Archived