Achievement goals: Stone Age Sniper & Deep Forest

piddy3825

So I just finally got the Exploration Game achievement which ironically I had given up on as I had cleared those two maps on so many play through's, that I just about fell outta my chair last night when the notice popped up on my screen.  So that got me to looking at how many achievements were still left to complete and what those requirements might be. 

Couple of seemingly easily doable challenges popped up out of the 7 or 8 still pending in player stats log.

The Stone Age sniper seems very difficult to achieve considering you have to throw a rock and stun and kill a rabbit at something like 25 meters away.  Now in the sandbox I have recently been playing in, I have gotten fairly proficient at bopping those bunnies with rocks fairly close up, just got a hat trick the other day btw.   According to the Steam stats, only a very small percentage of players have obtained this achievement.  I could use a couple of pointers on how to aim for a shot like what will be needed to hurl a stone roughly 80 feet and hit a rabbit.  Do you have to lob the rock or throw more shallow and maybe let it roll into the target?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The Deep Forest challenge seems fairly easy at first glance.  Keep a campfire going outside for 3 days.  I have tried this now a few  different times and have come to realize that you need to have more fuel than you think you will need and secondly you need a spot that is relatively protected from the wind.  My first attempt was thwarted by weather.  Sometimes hard to predict how many days between blizzards.  You think your gonna be ok, but the wind comes outta nowhere and poof, your fire is blown out.  My last time around, I thought I had enough fuel.  Got that fuel problem handled for the next attempt.  Any suggestions on where's a good spot anywhere on Great Bear Island to build this pyre?

I got the Stone age sniper achievement BEFORE I knew crouching helped you to get closer to the prey, and hunted in a tolkienian way (hobbit stone thrower, elven archer). I used to hunt in rather clear terrain, possibly downhill to be faster when I ran to the stunned critter. Probably I made the stone rebound and roll, which is only useful if terrain is straight or else the stone will change direction. Open flat terrain and an uphill start should help. By the way, does the achievement require you also need to catch the bunny? Maybe you only need to hit it, it just says "stun" after all. Which is probably what I've done, because I was quite clumsy when it came to picking them up. Kept throwing stones at them and all that. By the way, after the redux rabbits sometimes stand still for a while, it should be a good moment to strike.

Alan's cave? Dave's quiet clearing? I still hadn't got the achievement, so I didn't try, but a "campfire" doesn't necessarily need to be out in the open. Just throwing in a random and probably wrong guess, but for what I know a campfire may even be in an outdoor cave.

Edited by Doc Feral

Build your fire in the entrance to a cave. It'll be protected from the wind and benefit from the outdoor fire bonus which will cut down on the amount of wood you need.

The longest fire I've ever had on the go was a little over ten days; when you're cave living a permafire is very very handy because if you feed it up to eight hours or so in the morning, you can go out to do stuff and come back in and warm up when you get close to hypothermia. Best of all, after you've built it up enough it'll be running at 80C and you'll have an air temp near it of 40C which means you'll go from hypothermia to a full temp bar in very short order.

Just lather, rinse, repeat as you go through your daily chores to keep from taking hits due to the cold and then just feed that bad boy up before bed and you'll have a nice warm night next to the fire with zero cabin fever.

Edited by stratvox
completeness

When I got sniper, I found the best spot was the area above Dave's Quiet Clearing (where the cave is).  There were lots of rabbits that were somewhat confined.  I'd choose a hill and throw down at them.  As you try (over and over) you'll start to learn the trajectory needed.  I think when I got mine, I was standing at the top of the hill looking down towards the cave.

Capture.PNG

Outstanding map.  thanks gonna head over that way with a pocket full of rocks!   thanks @hozz1235

so, @Carbon when you bopped that bunny with the rock, did you just have to stun the rabbit or did you have to run down and kill it, too?  I stunned a bunny this afternoon on what I thought was a long shot but didnt get to it in time to grab it, so I must have been short on the distance or do I gotta sprint and make the kill?

1 minute ago, Mystix said:

You can reach it. But when you catch it just pat it on the head and let it go because it helped you with this achievement.

How??  You're 80 feet away.  I sometimes have trouble reaching them and ensuring I click on them properly from 10 feet away!

58 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

How??  You're 80 feet away.  I sometimes have trouble reaching them and ensuring I click on them properly from 10 feet away!

I reached my rabbit when I got the achievement. Maybe I wasn't too far away. Reach it or not, let it go :)

Edited by Mystix

thanks for all the suggestions here, I was finally able to achieve the Stone Age Sniper challenge by loading up on stones and throwing them from an uphill advantage.  Had some straight on hits a couple of times but not the distance.  Finally got a good space between me and the bunny and using a bouncing rolling stone strategy managed to "bowl" the bunny over.  Tried to dash down to grab it but even though I was only carrying under 20 kilo the distance was to great to close in time to reach the bunny before it recovered and bolted.  

I still haven't managed to get the Stone Age Sniper, but the Deep Forest one was pretty easy.  In Pilgrim, I picked the cave just above the Lakeside Cabins near the Western Access to Mystery Lake (not Dave's Quiet Clearing, but a cave closer to the cabins).  Collected all the wood in the cabins and a couple of days worth of sticks and stored them there.  I killed a deer on the lake for food, and then I made the fire in the outdoor section of that cave near the line where it transitions to indoors.  I would stoke the fire for about 9 hours and run out and collect the sticks that would respawn in the area just below the cave.  Since they respawn quite quickly on PIlgrim, I had no problem with running out of wood.

Edited by UpUpAway95

16 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

...but the Deep Forest one was pretty easy.

your right, I just got it recently, but I did it at the Stone Church out at DP.  I spent about 3-4 days before just gathering fuel.  Walked thru the old abandoned mine for good measure and collected some coal as well.  managed to get a wolf on the first day of my gathering fuel and subsequently got a deer, so I was well stocked for doing a three day burn.  On day two of my burn, guess who comes trundling along, but good ole Mr. Bear.  Could not pass up that opportunity so I put a couple of arrows in him, 40 kilos of meat later, fire still going cooking throughout the night, achievement unlocked!  Lighthouse is so well stocked right now...

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...
On 2/25/2019 at 2:00 PM, Michi said:

I got the deep forest achievement at the summit of TWM, there's a lot of firewood in close proximity to the plane.

That's how i got mine also, completely on accident mind you lol. I just needed the fire to prevent myself from freezing while i consolidated all the loot and it just happened to take me more than three days.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was told somewhere to just stuff my pockets full of rocks, go on the top of the ledge of the dam and just rain rocks down on those poor bunnies down at the Winding river pond.

Don't have it yet. I've tried for days, getting some awesome snipes in the past... but like the idiot that I am, I tried for days doing this on Custom difficulty :D 

Deep forest is really easy. Just need to put a fire into an outdoor cave to keep it wind protected, then its just a matter of filling it up to 12 hours lasting, go collect more firewood and do other stuff, and come by again later to re-stock it, and keep this going. It helps a lot if the cave has some coal, too.

Edited by Mroz4k

4 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

I was told somewhere to just stuff my pockets full of rocks, go on the top of the ledge of the dam and just rain rocks down on those poor bunnies down at the Winding river pond.

Don't have it yet. I've tried for days, getting some awesome snipes in the past... but like the idiot that I am, I tried for days doing this on Custom difficulty :D 

Deep forest is really easy. Just need to put a fire into an outdoor cave to keep it wind protected, then its just a matter of filling it up to 12 hours lasting, go collect more firewood and do other stuff, and come by again later to re-stock it, and keep this going. It helps a lot if the cave has some coal, too.

yeah, height above your target doesn't count...  does help however for the distance of the throw.  I ended bopping a bunny after about 25 throws down a hillside on CH.  The stone ended up bouncing and hit the target on the roll.  Seemed easy at the time, lol.

Lots of great advice here, and here's my contribution.

Deep Woods: Fundamentally simple if you stockpile your fuel ahead of time.  Coal and Cedar are each worth 1 hour, fir is worth an hour an a half, a firelog is 2 hours, reclaimed wood burns 30 minutes, books burn for 18 minutes, and a stick burns for 7.  Just add up all your burn times, and when you hit 72, you know your stockpile will last the full 3 days.  And importantly, it has to be a campfire placed from the radial menu.  If you use a fireplace or something, it won't count.

Stone Age Sniper: My go-to place was the rabbits that tend to end up out on the ice in Coastal Highway, by the Waterfront Cottages.  The ice is flat so you don't have to account for changes in elevation.  Then just get way back, and launch stones into the air at a high arc.  Repeat until you get a feel for how far the stones are going based on how high up you're aiming, and you can get within the ballpark pretty easily.  Then just spam stones until you hit.  They're free, you can pick up more.

Edited by ajb1978
  • Upvote 2

Guest kristaok

I just got this Achievement yesterday I believe? I was running to a Cabin in Mystery Lake and I grabbed I think 3-4 Rocks, I just started chucking them at this one Rabbit! and BAM I got the Achievement. :P So that's my advice just keep chucking at Rabbits from far away until you get it. :) 

Ps. I was quite surprised I got the Achievement so quick tho... 😛 

Edited by kristaok

I am actually having problem with "Silent hunter". I guess the game counts bow as a firearm... because for whatever reason, I did not get the achievement in the wintermute, where I used a bow. I wonder if stones count as well... in that case, I guess I would have to just fire up a pilgrim game and slack for 50 days at the summit, eating the container supplies, I guess.

3 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

I am actually having problem with "Silent hunter". I guess the game counts bow as a firearm... because for whatever reason, I did not get the achievement in the wintermute, where I used a bow. I wonder if stones count as well... in that case, I guess I would have to just fire up a pilgrim game and slack for 50 days at the summit, eating the container supplies, I guess.

turns out I was just being stupid. Day 51 doesnt mean it was 50 days survived yet. I literally stopped playing right before Id have gotten the achievement. Stupid ol me :D 

• Upvote 1