Greetings. May you always find gloves.

Tom Trottel

Hi I am Tom from Germany.

I finished the first episode a long time ago, then the second when the Redux was released.

Then I tried the survival mode. Now I am hooked.

I survived 23 days in a row now for the first time. Everytime I was attacked by a bear or a wolf, my gloves where gone this time.

I fought frostbite at the hands every single day. I managed to do everything else fine. But I always ran out out gloves.

Right now I  can not get easly to my biggest stash in the Hibernia Processing , cause a bear has decided to patrol there for like forever now.

I am not sure yet what to do about it, but I managed to sneak in cause I am still figuring out who to organize everything.

20190209174852_1.jpg.b76e6dab4243615c05357feac6e6d2b9.jpg

@XaldinVii Yes, survival really is amazing ! I know, but I made the rookie mistake to push on too fast, then lost my way and established a base and then managed to get lost again or tried something that stopped me from hunting rabbits. (mostly the danger of frostbite) So I never had time to dry the rabbitskins. J am not sure how I survived so long to be honest. Something always happend. Either I had not time to harvest the skins or forgot them or was overweighted. 

Right now I am preparing to return to Coastal Townsite from Hibernia Processing after I managed to waste all coal and can not use the forge you know where  to mend an urgently needed improvised knife. 

Hi Tom, welcome to the forums! Hope you stick around, you will find the community here to be very welcoming! :) 

Glad to see you are enjoying the game, it is amazing, in my opinion, the greatest thing about this game is that what you can do is only limited by your imagination, to a certain point. :) 

I am sure you will find many tips and tricks on these forums if you browse a bit more into them,Unless you wanna experience everything for yourself, of course!
For gloves, those can often be a bit of a pain to find. Always make sure to keep yours in the topmost condition! As a small item, they degrade pretty fast in condition, especially if you get jumped by a wolf. So, even if you find some, its fairly easy to lose them to an unfortunate encounter with wildlife. The tip to craft mittens is a good one, albeit not that easy early on for someone who is still fresh to the game. Be on a lookout for gloves in cars, dressing cabinets and sometimes small containers. And, if you find some lying around, check first if they are not fully frozen before putting them on. If they are, you will increase your frostbite risk greatly by wearing them. Also, for these reasons, I always carry a spare piece of light, crappy gloves in my inventory as a back-up.

Im sure you will soon find out that taking breaks within the game is very important :) make a fire to warm up, check your gear, and think to make a plan in what to do next. These are real survivalist tips that apply to this game perfectly. The more you can remain calm and not panic in the game, the easier the survival will be for you. Taking risks is exciting, but also unnecessary if you aim to survive the longest.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @Mroz4k, I had no internet for 12 days. Thanks to god, TLD worked even without Steam active, since for some reason Steam Offline didnt work.

I am now in day 71, I am a resident of Pleasent Valley, sort of. I have rabbit gloves and hat, but still I am struggling every day. I am running out of rifle ammunition, but still manage to find rabbits, and a deer manage to feed me for 2-3 days. I am getting more and more confident, since I am now really starting to understand how long everything needs, how far you can explore in one day and how to manage lamp oil, how much wood you need for fire. It is amazing how the little parts of knowledge add up. This game is amazing and still so few game mechanics add up to this experiencable complexity.

And yes, I want to find out everything myself. :D 

I am thinking about streaming TLD on twitch, since my new internet connection has a really good upstream.

Archived