Console Cache Management Concern

UpUpAway95

I originally posted this in the General Discussion area and was advised to seek help from support... so, here's a repost of my issue:

I just got a notice while playing that the "local cache is almost full."  It faded before I could read the entire message.  I'm playing on an Xbox One in offline mode (because the internet around here this morning is being very slow and others were in need of downloading).  When the message came up, I had only been playing about 20 minutes in a single save file and had not even traveled very far (basically from the exit to the Carter Hydro Dam down to Alan's Cave where I have been slowly harvesting a wolf I had killed and the deer the wolf had killed.  I've turned the Xbox off completely to clear the temporary cache, but I'm a little worried that, somehow the message might be related to the reserved space.  I currently have 4 survival files going (12.9 MB).  I'd need to put the box online and get the cloud to update to save the files if I need to clear the reserved space.  I had no end of issues with Fallout 4 related to cache and reserved space and creation club content... so I really don't want to mess this up.  I'm not a super computer techie type.  Any advice?

Hi @UpUpAway95 , that "online cache" sounds like a Xbox One system notification -- we don't have any warnings like that as part of the game. We'd guess this is information such as unlocked achievements being stored until your system is able to connect online again. 

Xbox Live has indeed been reporting some service issues lately, although Core and Game services should be currently be available. We'd suggest simply jumping back into online mode for a few minutes when you get the chance, so your account can sync up.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2019 at 9:34 AM, Support said:

Hi @UpUpAway95 , that "online cache" sounds like a Xbox One system notification -- we don't have any warnings like that as part of the game. We'd guess this is information such as unlocked achievements being stored until your system is able to connect online again. 

Xbox Live has indeed been reporting some service issues lately, although Core and Game services should be currently be available. We'd suggest simply jumping back into online mode for a few minutes when you get the chance, so your account can sync up.

It's happened again today.  It seems to happen whenever I'm playing TLD offline.  That is, I don't get any warnings at all when playing online regardless of how long I play, so I assume that being online somehow keeps the cache from filling.  There is a ramification/problem that follows.  This time I createda save point by entering a mine, exited the game and put the Xbox back online.  I reloaded my game and it seemed to sync to the cloud and then continued to play for about an hour, saving several times after that mine-entering save.  I then fully quit the game and shut down the Xbox for the night.  When I started up again, the game loaded me at that mine-entering save... I lost everything I did after that point.  Why the subsequent saves didn't actually save either on the Xbox itself or on the cloud, I have no idea.  Perhaps the cache doesn't clear when the game is merely exited or when the game resyncs to the cloud upon starting up again.  I suspect that the cache is only clearing when the Xbox itself is turned off (for at least 5 minutes).

That does sound odd. If you haven't done so recently, we suggest connecting to the internet, then doing a full power cycle of the console, including your powersupply. If there are any lingering system issues that could be interfering with the game, this should help flush them.

1. Turn off the Xbox One console by pressing the Xbox button  on the front of the console for about 10 seconds until it shuts down completely.
  2. Unplug the console's power cable. Wait 10 seconds. (This step resets the power supply. )
  3. Plug the console power cable back in.
  4. Press the Xbox button  on your console to turn on the Xbox One.

If your console's harddrive is close to full, it might also be a good idea to clean it up and uninstall any apps or games you aren't using.

Well... things just got a lot worse.  This morning I started up fresh and played for about 3 hours while online (or so I thought).  Everything seemed absolutely fine.  No cache messages at all.  During that time the game indicated it was saving several times (upon sleeping and entering buildings).  In that time, I moved from Coastal Highway to Desolation Point.  I stopped playing after sleeping in the lighthouse and powered down the Xbox completely (which I normally do whenever I shut down since my electrical power is flakey.  I never leave my Xbox plugged in when I'm not using is... so my cache is effectively cleared every time I shut down play).  When I started up again, about 5 hours after having shut down, my "save" reverted to the one I had made last night (i.e. the same one the game started up on this morning).  NOTHING I did this morning was actually saved.  I'm back where I started this morning in Coastal Highway.

I am using an external hard-drive, but the lights on it are indicating that it is working normally (i.e. they flicker whenever the game indicates it is saving).  I had taken shorter breaks during the morning, quitting the game without turning the Xbox off.  When I resumed playing then, it started me at whatever save I had left off on, so I'm pretty sure that saves were being written when indicated.   I think the problem is that my internet also goes offline and the game can't upload the most current saves to the cloud... and, then later, when the game is started up on a cold Xbox and goes back online, it syncs to the older cloud save automatically... overwriting whatever progress I made while the game happened to be offline.

Hm... that is very odd. The Cloud should be recognizing locally saved versions should be recognized as the most recent and not touching them.

Perhaps there is an issue with the timestamps on the files? If your console is often completely disconnect from both power and the internet, the system clock may be widely out of sync. If possible, try checking that date and time on your console is accurate before your saving your game and shutting down the Xbox One.

I don't think I can view individual save timestamps either within the saved data on the console or in the cloud, AFAIK.  The console clock realligns itself whenever the console is online and the console locally does keep time offline (unless the power fails while it is offline).  While I'm not always aware of the internet going on and off (particularly if the disruption is short), I would definitely be aware of any power failures that occur while I'm playing.  Since I had no indications of any problems while I was playing this last time and was online both when I started playing and when I quit playing, I don't think the timestamp should have been so far out to lunch that it would have affected the sequence of the saves within the saved data.  From what you're saying should be happening when the cloud syncs, all I'm left with is the possibility that my external hard drive is not saving even though the game is telling me it is and didn't give me any warnings.  Reluctantly, I may have to try a new external drive and see if the problem persists after that.

Out of interest, how many sequential saves does the game  keep within the saved data on the Xbox One console?

Archived