Bear Spawn Times

TheEldritchGod

I was under the impression if I set Bear to "low" I will get less bears. I have everything set on max difficulty, with the exception of healing while sleeping at low, and I am getting three bears a map as well as bears spawning back in after as little as 3 days. I mean, It's been 74 days in this run and I have gotten 7 bears and shot 2 that ran off to die somewhere I couldn't harvest them. I'm getting enough bears to actually consider a second bear coat (not that I can afford the weight just yet) because at the rate I'm getting bear hides, I can maintain it above 80%.

Has anyone else noticed that "low" setting isn't "low"?

Just today while playing on PIlgrim (so bear spawns are set to low), I've shot two bears in CH (one near the Quonset and one near the bear den at Misanthrope with only the time between them that it took me to transport and cook the meat (maybe two days).  As I'm finishing cooking the last of the bear meat up, I hear another bear near the quonset (fortunately they just squeal and run on Pilgrim).  Conversely, the moose I shot near the Quonset when I first arrived in CH about 50 days ago now has yet to respawn anywhere withi the zone as far as I can tell.

• 3 weeks later...

yeah I always set the Moose spawn to very high, but have only encountered it 3 times now, been playing for months once again, the moose is very rare in this game.

but one time when I started and spawned at the hunters cabin, it was there as soon as I spawned. the bears however you can set to low or high, but there will probably be 2 Bears on coastal for example, no matter what setting you use, I tried this many times and hunted down the bears to see how many there were.

wolves, rabbits, deer, will definetly have their numbers depend on those settings, with moose and bear its pretty random on the other hand.

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, Balthasar250 said:

when it came to bears, it occurs to me that maybe it's one animal that shouldn't come back after killing it. not necessarily because it's so dangerous, but maybe because they should be considered a rare animal in the wilds.

What do you mean when you say "rare"? They're not really rare in a lot of places in North America, in some places they're quite common. I could see fewer bears present as a element of game play making sense though if that was what you meant by rare. 

They're rare because they're solitary predators, so if a bear dies it takes some time for another bear to occupy its territory. This also means that if a place is not in a bear's hunting zone it should just be in another bear's hunting zone. Each bear needs a large area, and this means no place in Great Bear should be bear-free.

21 hours ago, Balthasar250 said:

when it came to bears, it occurs to me that maybe it's one animal that shouldn't come back after killing it. not necessarily because it's so dangerous, but maybe because they should be considered a rare animal in the wilds.

I see the "respawning" as another bear wanders into the territory, not finding it occupied, takes up residence. :)

14 minutes ago, Doc Feral said:

That's what I think too, and such a process may take a while.

38 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

I see the "respawning" as another bear wanders into the territory, not finding it occupied, takes up residence. :)

That's a good way of looking at it.

The larger maps I have two bear spawns.  Broken Railroad I have one bear spawn down on the pond (although there could be a second on the back half of the map, as I only did two sweeps through it early on).  If they are appearing too frequently for you, don't completely harvest them.  The corpse will stay there for about 5 game days and then a new bear will spawn in a few days later.  In 300 days on my current stalker/Int with all animals set to max,  I've killed 36 bears.  So I'm averaging a little over one bear encounter every 10 game days.  My play style is a rough loop hitting every large map for about 4-5 days before moving on.  Only of late have I started letting them be, as I have more than enough food at all the places I stay now and over 30 hides (we really need more things to craft!).  The only place I find them dangerous is the one that can wander right by the Quonset hut.  The rest I know where they will be, so they are easy enough to avoid.

-G

Archived