New World: Siberian Wilderness

Willy Pete

So there's a decent amount of talk about adding new regions, but how about (and this is definitely a long-term or modding sort of thing, I understand how difficult this would be) the addition of a brand new map? Canada isn't the only frozen landmass on earth, so how about seeing how the quiet apocalypse is effecting other spots, say Russia for example. And I'm not talking Russia like Moscow and all that, I'm talking the frozen backwoods of Siberia, the coldest of the cold and the meanest of the mean.

I think this could work rather well with the world of the Long Dark. Instead of the SMLE, you'd have the Mosin-Nagant for a hunting rifle. Wolves and rabbits would be the same, but you could replace the deer with reindeer and the black bear with the larger brown bear and the moose with the elk (though I do think that there are some moose in Russia).

In your travels, you could come across cold war era nuclear bunkers and forgotten ballistic missile silos. Far darker, you might find abandoned gulags and other less savory places. On the coastline you might come across and old naval base with an older Zulu- or Foxtrox-class submarine rusting away.

I think this could be a cool long term project if Hinterland ever opens up the game to modding or as a sequel once all of Great Bear Island is finished. I have no illusions of how difficult this would be, just a neat idea.

4 hours ago, DarKube said:

The Long Dark is Canada, it's the lore...

Yes, but a new "World" so to speak would bring a host of new characters with potential for a new story. The Aurora event was probably world-wide, not centered around just the western hemisphere. It would be neat to see how it affects the rest of the world, too.

21 hours ago, DarKube said:

The Long Dark is Canada, it's the lore...

The Long Dark is set in Canada...and made by fine Canadians yes.

But to say the events that caused The Long Dark are only impactful on Canada would be laughable.

We're talking about an electromagnetic/Cosmic Radiation event that causes a Global Electrical Meltdown, it's not something that can just be shuffled off to one country.

It would have a global impact.

To be honest I'd love to visit Siberia and see how The Long Dark had effected them...I'd love to be able to explore the Tunguska Region especially.

Tunguska Event

Pretty much it would be an incredibly eerie place to try and survive in.

You Northern Americans don't know how easy you'd have it. Try living in a crammed nation with a population density of 201 inhabitants per square kilometer (520/sq mi) and see how long would it take without modern commodities before switching to widespread cannibalism...

On 13/01/2019 at 11:26 AM, SneakySquid said:

Siberia would be a hardcore world because there would be very little shelter: flat uninhibited tundra,little fire wood:because there is very little trees or shrubs...

Except that Siberia is actually quite mountainous and very forested. 

On 1/14/2019 at 10:31 AM, Doc Feral said:

You Northern Americans don't know how easy you'd have it. Try living in a crammed nation with a population density of 201 inhabitants per square kilometer (520/sq mi) and see how long would it take without modern commodities before switching to widespread cannibalism...

Everything in this room is edible. Even I'm edible. But, that would be called cannibalism. It is looked down upon in most societies.

On 1/14/2019 at 11:31 AM, Doc Feral said:

Soooo.... Brexit? :P

Archived