Smoker

galenwolfe

Smoker suggestion: I watch a gent from Canada that has a YouTube channel called My Self Reliance. In the latest video he posted, he showed that you could easily make a rudimentary smoker to make smoked meat jerky. Skip to about 15:30 for the showing of how he made his smoker:

You could easily make one in game as three maple saplings (cured or not) for the legs, two birch saplings (cured or not) for the rack and like 5 sinew to hold it all together, with using 3 ish deer hides for the outer wrap. Then it's just using like 3 fir logs and leaving it be for a long while.

Great suggestion, especially since besides salting, smoking is your best chance of preserving meat in that enviroment. Cabin fever is an annoyance since I'd have no problem staying inside however long, but I undestand the gameplay effect. However, not having to hunt because you have preserved, smoked meat would be quite valuable.

Other things I saw here: Decrease you bow ability by full/half mobility penalty. You just don't have the same range of movement to wield it efficiently when wearing a lot of clothes. From experience I can say that rifles are almost not affected by that, more by the gloves you wear. A hunting crossbow as a not buildable, heavier version of the bow might be fitting for this, although we already have the rifle which on the other hand does a lot more damage.

2 minutes ago, Moll said:

Cabin fewer could be avoided by reading the books. Even normal (used as fuel only) one. Already suggested and fair easy to implement.

By reading you can get some famous story in your journal.

I'd even restrict cabin fever to a certain amount of waiting time indoors, like when you're really just wasting time. Developing cabin fever from reading (good) books or producing/maintaining your equipment is not the most logical thing in the basket. I once got it when there was almost a week of snowstorms and terrible temperatures, I used the time to grind through my books, cook what I had stored, make a bear mantle etc. because I could not leave the house without effective temps of at least -18°C with or without storm. That was a nasty experience. A bit far off the topic, though :)

Archived