More snow shelter build options

Zero_Duck

Would you like to see other build options for snow shelters?  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I noticed a Steam achievement for 500 days of survival. I don't know if I'd ever get such a thing, or even try, but one thing occurred to me. Long before 500 days is gone by you'd have run out of cloth. That means you'd play a significant amount of time without the ability to build a snow shelter. I'm on day 142 of a Stalker playthrough and cloth is already fairly scarce. I've had to cross over to skins for much of my clothing which is fine. But, in the same way, some number of skins should be a possible component in building a snow shelter.

If you are going to give a Steam achievement for 500 days, then you must want people to try for 500 days. If I try for 500 days, the likelihood that I'll need a snow shelter on many occasions is pretty high. So, give me the option of substituting 2 deer skins (or whatever you think is balanced) instead of the 5 cloth.

I'd love to hear what do my fellow survivors think.

We don't know how much development time a simple change like this would be.... But it might be super simple.  Assuming the requirements stay at 15/5,  I would agree the following as fair substitutes to the 5 Cloth:

•  5 Rabbit
  •  2 Deer
  • 1 Bear
  • 1 Moose

Not that the player would lug around a Bear skin but more options are usually a good thing.

You should not be anywhere near running out of cloth on Stalker @ 500 days. Stop using so much cloth! You shouldn't need that many snow shelters anyway.

I never build snow shelters or even think of doing so...can you sleep in them without a bedroll and are they significantly warmer than outside? Same as caves? 

Sometimes I need a place to sleep in Interloper before I find a bedroll, but I never want to waste that much cloth just for a temporary shelter. I'd probably use them if they didn't waste cloth or were permanent.

I agree you should be able to use skins instead of cloth...

19 hours ago, morgellons said:

I never build snow shelters or even think of doing so...can you sleep in them without a bedroll and are they significantly warmer than outside? Same as caves? 

You can indeed sleep in them without a bedroll, and they give a warmth bonus of 15ºC (≈60ºF).

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea of having more option available.  I have only built a few shelters really just to see what they are all about.  I have not really had a need to set up a snow shelter.  I'm managed to find a cave or a sheltered area where I can lay down my bedroll it the need arises.  I do like the idea of having more options for using skins other than for clothing (which is fantastic, don't read this wrong). 

• 2 months later...

As others have mentioned, I don't think running out of cloth should really be a concern.  I'm almost to day 300 on Stalker/interloper, and like others, I'm not even close using a quarter of what I've come across thus far.  Additionally, I assume with new maps will come additional sources of cloth.  Note that I never repair an item until it falls below 70%.  Cured leather is more likely to run out before cloth (if you prefer the moose satchel, muck-lucks, hiking boots and leather gauntlets).  For this many here have asked to add in a way to make some leather from hides.  It only makes sense.  Personally, I've never liked the notion of building a snow shelter from 5 pieces of cloth when you get one piece from a pair of socks.  Thinking about building a shelter to protect me from a blizzard with 5 pairs of socks makes me laugh, quite frankly.  I have always only looked at the current setup as a placeholder until further development and common sense take hold.  Animal hides for making shelters make sense and come with the caveat that they have real weight and encumber you thereby increasing risk where socks don't.  There should also be a time-cost to make a shelter, say 30 minutes.  While I personally have only built a shelter in-game once (a harrowing story I hope to write about someday), I would consider doing so more often, if I could build a lasting shelter in a few remote places that are far from a cave or building (relatively few, actually).  On a side note, my daughter and I built a shelter from leaning tree poles and slabs of bark against a large tree that I would shelter in in a heartbeat.  She was 6 at the time and is now going on 13.

-G

". . . , the likelihood that I'll need a snow shelter on many occasions is pretty high . . ."

For my first few hundred game days of TLD I didn't know about snow shelters as I always used the inventory system to do things rather than the radial menu.  When I found out that I could make a snow shelter I made a few, then I found out that I almost never needed to make them.  I haven't made a snow shelter in the last 1,000 game days I've survived.  It might be that I am now familiar with the maps and where there are good caves etc. for shelter.

This illustrates the point that the game is most exciting when you don't know where everything is.   The most exciting days of all are when you start playing TLD, haven't looked at any of the maps that make it easy, and haven't learned the skills and tricks of the trade.

Archived