greatwhitegamer

Found a glitch with the torch

Was playing a custom run when I noticed that the torch illuminates a strange green light. Glitch? Playing on Xbox One S. 

The Long Dark.png

Saw that today and I was convinced they did a hotfix to color it for Pride Month, but since you took that shot in January.... well, there goes that theory.

I had my desktop on high graphic settings, so... maybe it's meant to represent blue (super hot) flame?

...just out of curiosity, do you have your gamma/brightness cranked to max in your settings?

15 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

...just out of curiosity, do you have your gamma/brightness cranked to max in your settings?

nope

Posted (edited)

It's not really "green".  It's a blue-green flame that just looks green because of it's proximity to the yellow, orange and red of the flame (it's called "simultaneous contrast" in color theory).  Colors that are of nearly opposite hues on the color wheel will be "pushed" by our innate visual affinity for seeing the compliment of the prevalent colors in our focus by "pushing" those colors nearest to those complimentary hues closer to them than they are in actuality.  If you take something that is blue, and place it on something large that's red, all that red will make the blue thing look greener, since green is the compliment (opposite) of red.   So, in other words, it's not a glitch.

Edit:  Sometimes, a graphic artist trained in color theory will intentionally turn up this effect  to make the resulting visual even "more colorful" than life.

Edited by FrozenCorpse