Having a good interloper run but.....

Ahatch

Just hit day 130 mark  and I made the journey back to Coastal Highway and picked up my Bearskin and are in the middle of making the bedroll :) Still sitting at 15 matches and 3 flairs so I have decided to hang tough here in ML and try my best to not use any matches. So far so good have had some clear days and spending those building a fire and boiling lots of water. (I know boring) Have a bunch of cooked deer / fish meat as well so good shape food wise although I have to travel a bit to get it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Closing in on 160 days :) Still have 13 matches as I have perfected the use of magnifying glass. Basically just hanging out mainly at Mystery Lake at the back of the lake. Just reached level 5 Archery after I killed a couple  wolves patrolling the lake. Have been fishing mostly , I just spend cloudy times gathering firewood , mending cloths then when I see the conditions to use the magnifying  glass I have been building a nice fire in the fishing hut and spending up to 8 - 10 hours time fishing all the while boiling water with the pot on the stove. Fish for an hour / boil 2 liters of water etc. Then the next time out our build the fire and just cook. The weather is starting to turn real crappy though as it seems to blizzard every other day. Still thinking about visiting Forlorn but don't want to risk death in the marshes just yet. 

I'm in a similar situation on my game. 110 days in (my longest ever) and pretty much doing the same daily stuff as you ( while trying to not use matches), only I'm staying at the quonset garage. The only region I haven't visited is MT as it's a bit of a journey, especially as I only have 2 cups of coffee left. But I think I'll head over there when I manage to craft the bearskin bed roll :) 

The bedroll is a game changer for sure in terms of saving matches as you can stay warm in a blizzard in an outdoor cave without having to build a fire. Going to Mountain Town is also an option for me as it's that far. Just not a big fan of all the rope climbing :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Closing in on 180 days on this run still have 12 matches :) I have been carefully planning a trip to Forlorn Muskeg (not sure when I will try it yet) and have a somewhat safe plan to get there. I have been living at the back of Mystery Lake for a long time now still doing the same boring stuff . Gather sticks , fish , hunt and keep all raw meat until I got weather to build a fire with the magnifying glass. My plan is to use the cave at the top of the rope climb behind the lake as a stop off. I will sleep over night there and then go down the hill right to the exit of Mystery Lake to Forlorn and make for the Poachers Camp. The hope is to then cross to the high blind then to the cave behind the bunk houses then to the forge. I lost a couple arrows so I need to make a few arrow heads and I don't have the ax. I have a bunch of metal and hacksaw along with heavy hammer all ready for when I'm going to make to run. I don't want to hang around Forlorn very long though as matches are at a premium and I don't want to use up what I have with me and I'm hoping I will find some at the forge itself. I have a bear hide cured and just before I'm ready to go I'll repair my bedroll to make it 100% again just to help out. 

So I went through with my plan , I made it over to the cave above the lake slept overnight then made my first attempt at Forlorn . But it was for not as I sprained my ankle on the way down and I got cold feet and went over to trappers cabin. I had to use one of my precious matches boiling water and cooking rabbit at the cabin then I woke up in good health and I seen it was time to head to Forlorn. I made it to the Poachers Camp and just decided to go for it and headed for Spence Farmstead. I made it to the barrel shed and seen 3 wolves patrolling. After cooking some mushroom soup up I made it to the cave behind the bunkhouses. So the next morning I got up early and made it to the Forge. Found some matches and I'm going to make some stuff but the plan is to go back to Mystery Lake ASAP. Wolves hanging out here thinking I will go gather some rocks to lure them here  and pick them all off (level 5 archery so can crouch and shoot them from the loft)  :) 

FMGGG.png

Everything is going as planned but there are a lot of wolves to clean up here . Killed 3 wolves here so far with 2 more to go . 2 from the loft and one munching on a deer. I have crafted an ax and a bunch of arrowheads. I have a fire going that I have been stoking all day . Hoping I can get my health back up to the max and then make the crossing of the marsh. Found 5 birch saplings here so have some goodies to take back to Mystery Lake. Looking like at least another day here though as I have no shortage of food. 

TLDFMMM.png

Well I'm out of Forlorn Muskeg I left a lot of carnage in my wake but I didn't want to stay at Spence Farmstead with a permafire going all day. I decided late one evening to make for Poachers so made it to the High Blind (found more matches) then went to the cave behind the Poachers Camp. I slept overnight there cooked some more mushrooms and skirted the outside to the exit without too much trouble. Made it to Trappers Cabin but no game here so I went back to camp office using one Flair bullet to scare off the wolf patrolling the track then took the lake road back to my cabin. Although I didn't pick a lot of cat tails I left Forlorn with 2 axes , 2 boxes of matches , 2 acellerent,10 arrowheads, 5 birch saplings.   I did leave my heavy hammer at the forge as I have another one at the Hydra Dam. :) 

@Ahatch thank you for sharing your playthrough. Your struggle at the beginning reminds me of my current predicament at 25(ish?) days into my most successful 'loper run. Currently in CH at Fishing Huts with poor weather, no fuel, no bow, deteriorating condition, zero skin clothing, and a handful of pelts. You've given me the courage to pick it up after a few leery days away to try to make the Ravine and then Camp Office to get a bow and clothes together. Hopefully my poor gal can make it to 180+ days as well!

I hope you make it 180 days and beyond :) I had quite a few brushes with death and I feel lucky . Getting the bow and arrows really turns the game around even if you haven't got all the clothes together as long as you are near a warm indoor place you can retreat too if necessary. Hunting provides that ability to regain some condition to keep you going.  

• 3 weeks later...

Sad to report that I made another big mistake and died at day 235ish  . I had about 25% health and had returned to the Hydro Dam to replenish my supplies my bow was down to 25% and I had run out of spare arrow shafts. Fishing was getting real boring and I was not catching enough to keep me fed. So back at the dam I killed a couple wolves hanging out there then 2 deer were down on the river. I killed one then went back to the dam to warm up then returned to the river and killed the other one . I had 17 sticks on me and I went to make a fire by the one deer. The deer was on a bank so I turned around to build the fire. But once I got the fire going I couldn't get the mouse pointer to allow me to add sticks to it. And I went to re position myself and accidentally stepped in the fire I panicked and got the "You burned to death" . That's really the lesson of interloper it's nothing like voyageur where a mistake like that would not have cost me my run. This was my best run ever and I learned some tough lessons but it's not going to be easy to match it. 

Just read this thread and really enjoyed reading your adventures. I don't know the game well enough for Interloper but I've been doing Stalker runs on harder regions I don't know well. You have inspired me to write up my run so far, which I will do in a new thread!

In an old Stalker run a few years ago, I also ended up at mystery lake for ages cooking fish and got bored of it just like you. It was heading into Forlorn Musteg that cost me my life, falling through the ice and then getting mauled by wolves in a desperate attempt to reach shelter in the following blizzard that got me in the end :) 

Archived