Stuck in cave with bear

apuo

Hi; firstly sorry my english i am from turkey.

I want to ask about episode 2 bear challenge, bear took me cave with nothing and i supposed to find spear.I found hat and fighted many times with bear but i never won the battle agaisnt him. What should i do about it ?

If you've just waken up, then you have to avoid the bear, leave it eating the other corpse. You have to get into a small cave (I think it was to the far right of the bear) and then... continue by yourself, so no spoiler is given! :)

If you get stuck again, post a picture where you are so that we can point you where to go ;)

I have problem. I can stab old bear, but when i have to smash button to fill struggle meter, it wont do nothing, its mostly empty, i cannot fill it full even i am clicking fast i can. So after stab Old bear is mauling me anyway.

So what i am doing wrong? No stamina or what?

20 minutes ago, Moll said:

I have problem. I can stab old bear, but when i have to smash button to fill struggle meter, it wont do nothing, its mostly empty, i cannot fill it full even i am clicking fast i can. So after stab Old bear is mauling me anyway.

So what i am doing wrong? No stamina or what?

No...the bar filling mechanic is horribly bugged for at least half of players...it's not your fault.

It was a very poor choice to make it the key to defeating the bear.

It's also unfortunate that Hinterland is on their well deserved break and probably won't address this until the New Year.

hi everyone, in cave i try so many times kill bear with spear but i can't, maybe 4 hours just try this part but my spear didn't work, i tried every combination with spear, i m getting crazy what can i do? i think it is bug but i can't do anything 

I keep getting to the spear myself but the moment I spot him getting ready too charge it's already too late to get in position to take him out... I know I can do it if I really focus but its one of those things... Getting to the spear alone makes me super nervous and me plus nervousness is a disaster waiting to happen.

Guest kristaok

I didn't have the stamina meter bug, but I did experience the bug where I kept spearing the Bear and they never died. What I did was I reloaded a save because I figured it was bugged, then when I came back I was able to successfully kill the Old Bear in 3 full stabs. 

@OP, try reloading one of the Saves where you're in the cave and try again, it worked for me when I reloaded. 

Edited by kristaok

please tell us what you are doing exactly - not just "i stab the bear and he won't die". Have you problems holding the spear? Do you even hold the spear? Is it how long you hold the spear (stamina - timing)? Is it not beeing able to smash the left mouse button quickly enough to fill up the bar? Do you do everything right, win the fight, but the bear still doesn't die (fixed bug, but maybe not for everyone)? On what platform are you playing? Mouse or controller?  What game version?

The way you ask, i imagine you just holding the spear in you hand, doing nothing, and then wondering why the bear doesn't die automaticly :) So my answer would be, press left mouse to "hold up the spear" right before the bear attacks you.

Edited by MueckE

I'm having the problem where I get the spear, set it and as soon as the bear hits me the option fight back disappears completely.  I've reloaded it repeatedly.  My stamina is also dropping to zero and it looks like the weapon disapearing into the floor/snow is back.  An other glitch is you pick up the spear and instantly freeze.  no movement possible just standing round waiting to die.  The fact that you have to do the same grind over and over and over again to just glitch out is getting really irritating.  Also have repaired the game and reported all of these glitches.  

Edited by Jolan

On 30/12/2018 at 12:34 AM, Ape88 said:

I keep getting to the spear myself but the moment I spot him getting ready too charge it's already too late to get in position to take him out... I know I can do it if I really focus but its one of those things... Getting to the spear alone makes me super nervous and me plus nervousness is a disaster waiting to happen.

I don't blame you for your nervousness - it's scary! Here's a tip, when you click on the spear just hit Space right away and it'll put it in your hands immediately. You also might want to make more use of the little crawl spaces on your approach if you haven't already rather than going directly for the spear after dropping from the ledge, they sneak you round to the point where you're close to the spear and can sprint across and grab while the bear is still very much shuffling about.

It isn't easy but managed it on my third try! x

Check out the thread below for tips on how to deal with the stamina bar glitch. I tried a ton of things, and eventually had to reduce my screen resolution and turn off vertical sync in order to get the "fight bar" to fill properly. I think if the graphics/resolution are set too high, the game can't process the clicks fast enough and the bar doesn't fill like it should. I tried to kill the bear dozens of times with no luck, and once I tried this the fight bar filled easily and quickly. 

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 4:34 PM, Ape88 said:

how do you grab the spear?  i still cannot figure it out,  cannot find any video of how to.   i know where it is and have an idea how to get to it,  when i get to the fallen log i know the spear is to the left on a rock (after getting to the other side of the cave)  i figured crawl up the fallen log,  however,  each time i get half way up the bear comes lol

i know when fighting it you have to insure your stamina is up and you need to take refuge in the crawl spaces until stamina goes back up,  i just need to the spear  <3

ideas?

1 hour ago, Tigerskitten said:

how do you grab the spear?  i still cannot figure it out,  cannot find any video of how to.   i know where it is and have an idea how to get to it,  when i get to the fallen log i know the spear is to the left on a rock (after getting to the other side of the cave)  i figured crawl up the fallen log,  however,  each time i get half way up the bear comes lol

i know when fighting it you have to insure your stamina is up and you need to take refuge in the crawl spaces until stamina goes back up,  i just need to the spear  <3

ideas?

My best way of approach was to follow the safe spaces on the left. First has a cloth in front of it, 2nd has a stick in front of it you will come back to this one...next the third one has a cloth at the end. Make bandages and tinder plugs. From the end of the cloth you can see the tree...but it's a horrible place to see the bear. And hard to keep track of him.

So go back to the 2nd ahead and to the left is another safe zone. Dash and crawl in there...search the backpack.

Now you need to keep an eye on the bear...try and wait until he disappears ahead of you to the right exploring the lower level.

You are then going to run towards the rock ahead...grab the spear...the closest safe zone will be one ahead and to the left. Duck in there fast.

At the other end of this safe zone is a short dash to the last one...I usually move to this one and then come out just far enough to stand up.

Engage the bear...fill the struggle bar....crouch back to the safe zone....heal recover stamina...repeat.

Signed up just to say: this entire segment is ridiculous, and the spear mechanic is tedious af (and too slow, and drains stamina too fast). As is the inability to just skip the bear fight and reload, because that's what you're going to do 99.9999% of the time. It's not scary or tense, it's just badly designed. 

Edited by geodesic

Plant the spear just before the bear drops after roaring.

Then left click till the stamina bar fills it will then be an animated event until it stops.

Retreat to safety...heal...recover stamina... do the same two more times.

If on the PC and having trouble getting the struggle bar to fill...turn off vsync and lower the resolution.

None of that helped. Some of the design errors:

- The bear needs to be as far away as possible when you reach for the spear. But you have no control over it. All you can do is hope its random pathing takes it away. This can take ages, and you can't even see properly. A simple "throw rock to distract it" would've fixed it.

- The "safe zones" are not clearly delineated, and their gameplay extent doesn't match the surroundings. When trying to peek outside, the bear can see you through rocks and charge when you can't even see it. In other cases, you can rub your bare ass in its face and yet it can't claw at you. Wut.

- The AI is transparently dumb. The bear goes from "charge" to "panic" mode when you enter a safe zone, causing it to yelp for no reason, which destroys suspension of disbelief and is in no way realistic behavior. If it's supposed to be menacing, how about having it try claw at you regardless.

- The way to kill the bear is to stab it 3 times. With the spear that failed to do any damage previously. At this point in the game, I had already stabbed it 5 times by the radio towers. So how am I supposed to know that this time, it is going to work? Oh but if I give a wolf a tiny nick with a rusty knife, it'll bleed out guaranteed. Good luck figuring out this logic, when the punishment for getting it wrong is to watch the same unskippable death sequence over and over and over again.

- No manual save even though you will complete the exact same sneaking path the first dozen times trying to get to the damn spear, and the sneaking is glacial.

Hinterland has designed a great sandbox and then keeps finding reasons to not trust its players with it. If the cave segment required them to take away all your stuff and disable the passing of time, maybe that should've been a hint that this does not belong in the game. Let people tell their own stories, instead of the embarrassingly forced attempts at drama and characterization. Mackenzie is somehow the world's biggest doormat but also a tough survivor? And even when his ex-wife nearly gets him killed, after she refuses to tell him even one word, he's still too honor bound (read: moronic) not to try and brute force a 3 digit number lock? And neither does the bad guy at the end of ep2? In a game where you crack bank safes by ear as a gameplay mechanic?

Seriously wat. This is how they attempted to fix Wintermute eps 1 and 2. Fucking Canadians man. They confuse stupid for nice.

On 1/5/2019 at 7:02 PM, Tigerskitten said:

ideas?

Here's my method - I'm not sure if everyone has the bear starting in the same place, but from my save point on the starting platform in the final cave, the bear would always start right in front of me, and it would be walking to the left.

From the starting platform, I was able to climb across the walls to the right of the platform until I reached a V-shaped set of rocks. I would use an emergency stim, jump down through the V, and run to my left (around the downed tree, you don't need to climb it!) and grab the spear. Then, if I had time, I would run to the nearest crawl space (the one to the right of the spear - with the backpack in it). 

If I timed it right, I would be standing in front of the backpack crawl space ready to spear the bear. After I won the first fight with the bear, I would crouch down and hide in the backpack crawl space ASAP. Then I'd wait until the bear was at a good distance before using the last e-stim and attempting another fight. I'd repeat this until I beat the bear 3 times. 

Edited by devamadhu
tweaked for clarity

• 10 months later...
On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 7:29 PM, RossBondReturns said:

No...the bar filling mechanic is horribly bugged

@apuo (and anyone else having issues on PC, I suppose)
So far, I've found that (at least for PC players) most often low frame rates are the problem (not really a bug per se, but a user equipment performance issue).  Once I got my system up to where I was getting a consistent 60-70 fps, then the all the mouse clicks would register as expected and the struggles were not difficult anymore.  I don't claim to know the particular technical details, but it seemed to me that low frame rates would contribute to input lags that made struggles horribly difficult.

For those who can't do anything to improve their hardware can try to maybe tune down resolution & graphics settings to try and get better frame rates.

Failing that, a lot of people had success with switching over to the accessibility option of setting struggles to "press and hold."

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac

@geodesic
I don't think there is any need to be so hateful towards the Hinterland team.
It seems to me that, much of what you mentioned isn't so much a matter of game issues... as they are player issues (*issues at the player end I mean).

:coffee::fire:
Like I mentioned before, once I got my frame rate up to snuff, nothing about the Old Bear's Cave was all that difficult.

Edited by ManicManiac
Edited to clarify

On 1/5/2019 at 9:29 PM, RossBondReturns said:

Plant the spear just before the bear drops after roaring.

Then left click till the stamina bar fills it will then be an animated event until it stops.

Retreat to safety...heal...recover stamina... do the same two more times.

If on the PC and having trouble getting the struggle bar to fill...turn off vsync and lower the resolution.

The left clicking can be an issue for people with RSIs or arthritis. I used the Accessibility Option of "Click and Holf For Struggles", and it works like a charm, my fingers and my LMB are thankful it was added to the game. The game does the input for you, and the bar will fill without breaking your mouse or your fingers. It also works as a tech fix to overcome any input lag from old equipment or fps spiking due to using incorrect settings for your rig and the game.