Same complaint, with a suggestion

galenwolfe

So, I've mentioned before (featured as a response in the Milton Mailbag) the very tiring and frankly idiotic seeming nuisance of randomly cracking an ankle or wrist (or both) when nothing seems to actually trigger it. In the response, the person replying said there are very few instances where a sprained ankle or wrist will happen without some visible cause, such as a struggle or a fall. Well, let me now add 12 screen shots taken in a single story mode (most in the same day) session of Ol' Mac the drug addict spraining something when there wasn't an actual fall or a struggle involved. BY THE WAY I survived ALL of the freaking bear struggles without spraining a god damn thing and only suffering torn clothes AND THEN not twenty feet from the old trappers house I SPRAINED AN ANKLE WHILE WALKING UP A HILL. Tell me how this mechanic works again?

I again suggest that if you're going to have these random acts of violence against a character, please feel free to add an animation of the character falling flat on the ground, like they tripped over something hidden under the snow and that being the cause of the sprained wrist, ankle, or both. Otherwise it just seems like you are randomly breaking something for the sake of randomly breaking something and it doesn't matter what or why it happened just deal with it, player. Because, who needs actual realism huh?

My other complaint is your drug use policy in the game, and another suggestion... if I sprain both a wrist and ankle, taking a single dose of pain relievers will solve both problems. As some one that is disabled and somewhat dependent on the stuff to resolve my own pain issues, I should know. what you REALLY need to do is allow the pain relievers to dull the pain for a time and the pain relief wears off, wash, rinse, repeat, until you can get to someplace where you can actually sleep to recover the items. And then add an actual risk of pain reliever dependency to the mix, taking it too many times to stave off the pain from the sprains leads to a warning that you need to lay off of them for a while (more than 48 hrs) or risk dependency, and if you hit the dependency stage, you either have to take them like daily or you have to swear off of them for several days. Have a withdrawal condition consequence as well as stamina and so forth. Maybe if you've taken too many pain pills in the day gradually get the weird echoes and the same visual effects as when you're severely hurt and about to die. Mistake a wolf for a deer type thing until it's attacking. There are all sorts of things you can do to make this sort of thing hazardous, up to and including the character just up and deciding, regardless of where they are, to just lay down and go to sleep right there. If it's outside, then death from exposure or an animal attack, if indoors then a 50/50 chance of never waking up again. Of course, an antidote to this could be breaking up a piece of coal and eating it. 

Another suggestion: The old man's beard dressing should actually be both bandage and antiseptic. Or, you should be able to combine both the old man's beard dressing (or the actual antiseptic) and a bandage to apply all at once, thus saving a step with proper preparation.

I still believe that having sprained your wrist, you should not be allowed to do anything with it, no rifle, no flare pistol, no axe, no gutting, nothing until you've properly healed it. This is a very relevant thing, you are aiming for a somewhat realistic experience, so it should be more realistic. 5c2299da9b237_screen_(733143931)_4b486b7c-d117-4cd5-bbec-2e1b2fb2f530.thumb.png.01eb6eb4f1fd2459780ee122e863fc9c.png

In this specific image, I sprained my WRIST but not my ankle. I mean, seriously.

screen_(273, 52, 1062)_7eed01e0-7a59-462b-b1c5-4cd3084045f9.png

screen_(1112, 99, 559)_694bdcb5-fd07-416f-93fb-2a68268f683e.png

screen_(821, 233, 774)_00f54c73-3d8b-4498-bcae-655ae0a5503c.png

screen_(76, 32, -77)_469df703-0b7f-414c-9244-7ba7df490de8.png

screen_(785, -118, -75)_881ac8a9-c680-40bc-b3bb-270e0aaef06e.png

screen_(313, 73, 951)_e8ad8b3c-e0f8-4295-a63a-dea700aa478b.png

screen_(717, 112, 900)_48607759-b7d7-4b81-9a94-436e3b695bd9.png

screen_(649, -76, 1408)_87703b79-e5dc-416e-b61a-f130fb7f9f60.png

screen_(571, 225, 803)_266aa4d5-9b4c-4fc8-a45f-4ee43cc4bde4.png

screen_(1075, -84, 1616)_31bf5f59-3f93-41de-832f-907157e015f9.png

If you sprain your wrist but not your ankle, it means you've fallen over and landed heavily on your hand - there just isn't an animation for it. Like you, I hope they make one, because it would make the whole Sprain thing make more sense. 

I like your ideas about introducing a better pain relief system and having to rest longer to cure the sprain. I think that's also improve the experience a lot. Not entirely sure we need the drug dependency afflictions, though! 

In general, if you're walking on sloped ground then you're at risk of sprains - the steeper the slope, the higher the risk. Your inventory weight also factors into it, and possibly your fatigue. 

Almost all my sprains happen on uneven ground, specifically when I’m traveling against the grain. So, if I’m walking down a hill, I don’t get a sprain often, if at all. If I walk on the side of a hill, it happens a lot. If I’m encumbered while doing these things, and also holding a rifle, it’s almost guaranteed to happen. 

Maybe my evidence is anecdotal, but your pics seem to represent my thoughts. What gets annoying is that I might jump off a short cliff and hear the “oof” sound, but then seem to be walking on an innocent patch of dirt, and then bam! Two sprains. But, this tends to mimick real life. I have glass ankles myself, but I rarely hurt them when I steel myself to a jump. It’s when I’m not paying attention and roll my ankle on a pebble, that I sit for the next two days in pain. 

I don’t really like your ideas for pain med mechanics. It’s not that your ideas are bad or unrealistic. It’s that I don’t feel it would add much to the game in terms of fun or challenge. This is a survival simulator, not a pain management simulator. Perhaps gaining a tolerance or withdrawal symptoms might be a good addition, but I don’t know if much beyond that would be good. Most of the game mechanics are simple and one or two tiered afflictions. More to pain management would start making things complex. 

Guest kristaok

I've seen this lately where people are saying they keep getting sprains, I mean I've had a couple but I really haven't had a lot... the only times I get a sprain is when I'm fighting an animal, and maybe a couple times from walking down hills. 

Just make sure to carry pain meds or tea. 

As for your idea on having an addiction to pain meds in the game, I don't think I'd like that really... idk I just feel like it would be not only weird but way too complicated for me. Im not saying you can't get addicted to pain pills, but I will say that not everyone does. I for one have had to take pain pills and such, and I didn't get addicted. 

I do agree with you on the old mans beard thing, I think it could work as a wound dressing to stop bleeding and not just some antibacterial thing. 

Oh lastly as for using a gun, bow, etc with a sprain... it's actually possible to use those things it just wouldn't be easy, it'd probably hurt like hell but when push comes to shove you'll do anything just to survive. So yea I could def see myself using a gun even with a sprain, you gotta do what ya gotta do. 

In previous versions of the game the Old Man's Beard was meant to be combined with a bandage, like you are suggesting. This was simpler in some ways but the problem was that if you applied a plain bandage to your bleeding wound you would still be at risk for infection, and if you wanted to use the Old Man's Beard you would have to combine it with another bandage to be used. I prefer the current system. 

On 12/26/2018 at 4:34 PM, aronn112 said:

BTW it doesnt help that you are encumbered. That affects the rate in which you get a sprain

Actually, this was shortly after acquiring the spear and that put me over by like 5 pounds, or something like that, even with the addition of the well fed bonus. So I am not liking that being slightly encumbered like that is causing that much of a problem when moving around. I would expect it from like 10 pounds or more overweight and it's throwing you off. That I can understand.

On 25/12/2018 at 10:06 PM, galenwolfe said:

So, I've mentioned before (featured as a response in the Milton Mailbag) the very tiring and frankly idiotic seeming nuisance of randomly cracking an ankle or wrist (or both) when nothing seems to actually trigger it. In the response, the person replying said there are very few instances where a sprained ankle or wrist will happen without some visible cause, such as a struggle or a fall. Well, let me now add 12 screen shots taken in a single story mode (most in the same day) session of Ol' Mac the drug addict spraining something when there wasn't an actual fall or a struggle involved. BY THE WAY I survived ALL of the freaking bear struggles without spraining a god damn thing and only suffering torn clothes AND THEN not twenty feet from the old trappers house I SPRAINED AN ANKLE WHILE WALKING UP A HILL. Tell me how this mechanic works again?

Again I really don't see the big problem. This has become like beating dead horse to feel good :) To me to factors should be considered; 1) a game perspective, 2) realism/immersion break. None of these warrant all the hate on the sprain-mechanics.

1) Game perspective: There has to be some risk involved in traveling and with pushing with to much gear. Even in interlooper medics are plentyfull its not uncommon to carry insane amounts of painkillers around. Even in deadman mode, I've never had any issue with a sprain other than the 3-4 seconds it takes to do a painkiller/tea. No big deal. So take a pill (or tea) :) 

2) Immersion pespective: Walking around in snow on steep slopes with 30 kg of backpack including coal, water wierd sticks could almost surely get you in risk of tripping. If anything the affliction is way to mild. If spraining a wrist RL you could not magically cure it with some tea.  So - lets make the affliction worse. 

Archived